cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likely will not buy Asus in the future

usernameistoosh
Level 9
I have been a long-time Asus-exclusive customer with regards to mobos for well over a decade for multiple computers on both my home and work networks.

Sadly, what I've witnessed with regards to support is making me question whether or not I will continue to buy Asus products. This is a really strange conclusion for me especially since I've actually had no problems with the CH6. I've been using the CH6 (for gaming) since day 1 it was released with an R7-1800X and G.Skill FlareX 2x8 GB @ 3200. I've gone through every single UEFI BIOS release, and perhaps it was a stroke of luck, but I've never had any issues whatsoever (apart from the systematic cold boot issues that everyone had with the earlier UEFI BIOS versions).

To see the developers throw in the towel and take the attitude that 1 year is the EOL support for the (expensive) flagship ROG brand CH series is taking customers for granted. Especially given how other mobo manufacturers are significantly more prompt with their UEFI BIOS support.

I am now in the midst of creating yet another computer for my home network, one using the mITX form factor (essentially a home theater system which will be on (but not necessarily active) 24/7). I'm sitting here thinking if I really will buy Asus this time. This is the first time in YEARS that I'm doubting an Asus purchase. Historically, for me, it was just always Asus.

People may consider my post a rant, and I did create this forum account to make this post (rant). I can only hope that the developers read this and realize not to take their customers for granted. Loyalty will only go so far. Asus has been rock-solid reliable for me, this is true. But 1 year support for the flagship brand? That's not going to fly with me. If what I'm seeing on these forums in essentially expecting 1 year support for a FLAGSHIP mobo... slow-paced updates... well... that's not consumer-friendly.

There are just too many question marks now with regards to Asus. The brand name alone isn't working anymore.
14 REPLIES 14

Emmily
Level 7
I'm looking for a new GPU like VEGA 64 or maybe 2070 no way to pick ASUS anymore, also Zen2 and a new mainboard. I'll pick a flagship from Gigabyte instead.

Emmily wrote:
I'm looking for a new GPU like VEGA 64 or maybe 2070 no way to pick ASUS anymore, also Zen2 and a new mainboard. I'll pick a flagship from Gigabyte instead.

I just came from from a Gigabyte AUROS Gaming 7 Wifi. The BIOS is awful the updates caused massive system instability. Support was an awful experience as well. So much so that I returned it and with the Crosshair VII Hero. I was a long time fan of Gigabyte but never really had a reason for it other then relatively good experience with 2 motherboards previously.

I am not going to say Asus support is perfect lord knows I have had some challenges with them too, just want to say the grass is not always greener. That said best of luck.*

AfterShock
Level 9
I also have been strictly asus for motherboards for as long as I can remember and have always recommended them for others but that will no longer be the case, I find this whole situation to be a joke, One year later and we don't have a stable bios nor updated agesa for that matter but meh, we'll call it EOL and move on. They've had so many probs with the entire x370 series from the start while the other brands got it sorted out within 3 months and are still getting updates that actually improve stability and overclocking. When it comes time to move on from my ryzen 7 I'll be looking elsewhere for a mobo. Back in the day ROG used to mean something, now it's a short term marketing scam.

Emmily
Level 7
The ASUS hardware teams is pretty cool but the trash software teams've made the product suck.

elmor
Level 10
Why would you think there is no more support for C6H?

elmor wrote:

Even the last BIOS 6201 has a serious fan bug.

With all older BIOS's I had the issue that the fans spins up to 100% from time to time.
This is annoying, but couldn't damage the hardware.

With 6201 this issue is gone, but in the last ~2 months the fans stopped working more than 5 times.
The pump of my AiO isn't controlled by the BIOS and didn't stop, but without any fans the CPU-temperature reaches >75°C.

Maybe there are not many customers affected, but the issue must be well known to ASUS. I (and other customers) wrote this in this forum and in the C6H-thread at Overclock.net.
But there is no BIOS update since more than 2 months, to be true there isn't any answer from ASUS.
And if it were just "We know about this issue and working on it, please be patient!".

PS: I noticed in this moment you answered in the C6H-thread at overclock.net (my nickname at overclock is Manshonyagger.

The software section is just another thing.
Aura hasn't been updated for months and is a bag full of bugs.
AI-Suite seems not to be better, but I do not use it and therefore can not say anything from my own experience.
Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
(John Wayne)

elmor wrote:

Raja stating:

"Im going to unstick that now, as the board is over a year old"

referring to the thread titled "Crosshair VI Hero: UEFI build update thread". This means that if no one posts in this thread, then it's going to get buried in the forums. It has been replaced with the thread, which is now pinned in its place, "ASUS X470 ROG, ROG Strix, Prime, TUF - UEFI/SMU firmware updates".

Unpinning a "UEFI build update thread" because the "board is over a year old" and replacing that with a new thread with the same topic but a newer model, that means the old board is no longer being actively maintained. Why else would you unpin a thread on a board if you are still supporting it?

Not to mention that the Asus firmware does not support the latest technology, which other board manufacturers have implemented. So, convince me how I'm to believe that the CH6 will continue to receive proper firmware updates when the page for exactly this purpose is unpinned and the current firmware still does not even have full support.

elmor
Level 10
No update for 2 months does not mean there's no more support or that there won't be new BIOS releases. You are jumping to conclusions.

AFAIK there's never been any official support on this forum (or OCN for that matter). Supporting end users is not part of my job description, both me and Raja are just trying our best to improve a bad situation.

I'm appreciative of what you and Raja are doing, and my comments are not directed specifically towards either of you. Does this mean that were it not for the two of you, then Asus just wouldn't be releasing any updates at all? Is there anyone working on / responsible for providing firmware updates in an official capacity?