ROG Member Array

Updates not working properly (EZ Update and Grid)

There are a few problems with updates I've been experiencing.

1. EZ Update has the update count wrong. I did an update check and it showed two updates in the selection area but said "There are 5 item(s) to update".

2. The items that require update differs between EZ Update and Grid (beta). EZ Update found two items (Aura and Intel Lan driver) whereas Grid found only one (Aura) and says I already have the latest Intel Lan installed.

3. Grid also had a bunch of other utility updates that weren't listing in EZ Update (like ROG Connect, AI Charger, etc. However, they're all items I chose not to install so maybe EZ Update doesn't even check for them?

4. After the update I rebooted and if I check again it still shows that I'm using old versions of both Aura and Intel Lan in EZ Update. In Grid it says I have the correct version of Intel LAN but Aura is old. I'm not sure whether it's successfully installing but the apps are reporting wrongly or whether the installs are failing. I see no errors when doing the updates. I've tried to manually check the Aura version but it doesn't appear to have proper versioning information in the EXE so I'm not sure which version is installed. As for the Intel Lan driver, when I check device manager it's still showing the old 12.15.184.0 version not the 22.9.16.0 version that is supposed to be installed. So it looks like it's not actually installing the Lan driver, or maybe it is but Windows is immediately overriding it?

The first couple problems are minor, but I am worried that I have the wrong drivers installed and there doesn't seem to be a way to update them. I'm not sure where EZ Update or Grid store the updates temporarily when the do an update to try manually selecting the LAN driver. I'd expect EZ Update and Grid to both report the same updates required. I'd also expect them to correctly install (or report a failure if the install doesn't work).

Running Windows 10 Pro and using a Crosshair VII Hero with Ryzen 2700x.

Screenies pre and post update
    http://www.half-assed.net/images/Asus%20Updates.jpg
    http://www.half-assed.net/images/Asu...r%20Reboot.jpg

ROG Member Array

I am experiencing exactly the same issue as you. Also Windows 10 Pro, Crosshair VII Hero, but with a 2600X. It's extremely annoying that we can't be sure whether we have the latest drivers and utilities due to this software flaw.

New ROGer Array

Similar problem with EZupdate as well on Maximus XI Formula.
    EZUpdate shows two updates. EZupdate did appear to install one of the updates (aquantia 5g driver) but not the other (aura sync).
    I reinstalled both just to be sure.

ROG Member Array

Just to add to this update debacle, I checked both Grid and Ezupdate and they're not showing the Version 18.40.02 Chipset update or Version 9.2.0.87 Sata update that are available on the Asus website (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...Desk_Download/). And to make matters worse, the Chipset update appears to be for the wrong chipset. The chipset download points to: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m..._20181226R.zip Maybe they share the same drivers but the CH7 is an x470 not an x399 right?

I didn't actually notice the file name when I initially downloaded and tried to install it. When I did try the install the AMD radeon software shows 17.40.3602 currently installed and 17.12 as the local driver. Aside from the terrible naming (why would you name it local driver not "to be installed" or something logical) it's an older version not the 18.40 advertised on the website. Not that that matters if it's for the wrong motherboard...

Please Asus, for the sake of our sanity sort out your driver updates so (A) they're consistent between apps/sites and (B) they are actually the right ones
    Last edited by skrybe; 01-01-2019 at 03:56 AM.

New ROGer Array

I am having similar issues with this, every night I get the EZ update has 4 updates, and only lists the Lan connection. If you click to update it then so called updates the Lan separate then the other 3 items? together. But every night it returns back to the original updates.

I am using Asus Wi-Fi PCI-E Adaptor PCE-AC88 DB AC3100 on a Crosshair Hero VII none Wi-Fi board with a 2700x processor and 32 GB 3000Mhz RAM (Vengeance)

If I try and use Grid (Beta) it freezes at the progress bar in the middle of progress and can be left all night with no further progress.

I have read that Asus are awful at software management and don't expect an answer soon but just thought I would add to this query.

New ROGer Array

I have the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by robah View Post
    I am having similar issues with this, every night I get the EZ update has 4 updates, and only lists the Lan connection. If you click to update it then so called updates the Lan separate then the other 3 items? together. But every night it returns back to the original updates.

I am using Asus Wi-Fi PCI-E Adaptor PCE-AC88 DB AC3100 on a Crosshair Hero VII none Wi-Fi board with a 2700x processor and 32 GB 3000Mhz RAM (Vengeance)

If I try and use Grid (Beta) it freezes at the progress bar in the middle of progress and can be left all night with no further progress.

I have read that Asus are awful at software management and don't expect an answer soon but just thought I would add to this query.
    This is happening to be as well. I have just ignored the lan update as it has to be a glitch. There are no 3 other updates even though EZ is telling me there are 4 total. I feel your confusion. I think it's just a crappy software utility bug.

ROG Enthusiast Array

What even is EZ Update? It's never done anything for me. Every single time I've opened it and run it, nothing happens.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

I Always Go Directly To The Asus Driver Page For My Hardware and Manually Up Date The Drivers If There Are Any , EZ Update Has Never Worked , But Win Flash Works Like A Charm For Bios Updates

ROG Member Array

Just to add to the crapness that is GRID... (sorry Asus but it's true).

I got a notification today that there was a GRID update available. I assume it came from EZUpdate since I wasn't actually using GRID at the time. I figured I'd install it and see if it's improved. The install stalled with the progress bar at about 10-15% and never moved again (I let it sit for about an hour). After giving up and rebooting the installer came up again with no option to refuse it (or even to close it). Now it sits at zero % progress and never moves. I've killed the process using Task Manager and after a reboot it comes back every time.

I've tried to locate what is starting this with no luck. So every reboot I need to kill the process. Really not impressed.

edit: And just to make things even better, EZ Update tells me I have three items to update, but the list of items is blank. So I have no idea what they are. And the update button is disabled so I can't even attempt to blindly update.

ROG Junior Member Array LordDelacroix's Avatar

Same Here

Quote Originally Posted by skrybe View Post
    Just to add to the crapness that is GRID... (sorry Asus but it's true).

I got a notification today that there was a GRID update available. I assume it came from EZUpdate since I wasn't actually using GRID at the time. I figured I'd install it and see if it's improved. The install stalled with the progress bar at about 10-15% and never moved again (I let it sit for about an hour). After giving up and rebooting the installer came up again with no option to refuse it (or even to close it). Now it sits at zero % progress and never moves. I've killed the process using Task Manager and after a reboot it comes back every time.

I've tried to locate what is starting this with no luck. So every reboot I need to kill the process. Really not impressed.

edit: And just to make things even better, EZ Update tells me I have three items to update, but the list of items is blank. So I have no idea what they are. And the update button is disabled so I can't even attempt to blindly update.
    I'm having the same issues as everyone else and I'm just tired of it. This is my last ASUS Motherboard and I've been a loyal ASUS Customer since the mid 90's! I'm done ASUS - b-bye!

Why can't companies like this ever get their act together?