cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from EK Monoblock (Rampage VIE) to Heatkiller VRM block & CPU Block

Abaidor
Level 9
Well it's been some months since I fired-up my new build and was wondering what to do to improve temps and CPU overclocking.

I am using an i9-7940X with an EK Monoblock with 6X Cores @ 4.7Ghz, 2X Cores @ 4.6GHz and the rest @ 4.2Ghz and that is WITHOUT a delid. Voltages for 4.7Ghz are 1.21v.

I have been using the PC like this for 4 months without a single hitch but under a lot of stress CPU Temps RISE up to 85C. If I overclock more it is a no go.

So I was wondering whether I should for a delid and a dedicated CPU block with a Watercool.de VRM block. Yet, I've read "horror" stories about the EK Monoblock not making good contact after delidding.

With that said all this comes at a cost.

Wasted EK Monoblock -
New VRM Block
New CPU Block (that I might keep for future builds)

Is it worth it or should I save the money towards the following:

A) Sel the i9-7940X and upgrade to the newer CPUs that MIGHT be soldered once out
B) Save even more and only upgrade to a new CPU/MB/DDR5 package in the future.

In short how much performance should I expect from overclocking the 79040X even further and is it worth the cost of dumping the EK Monoblock + VRM Block + New CPU Block?
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
My advice would be to either leave things be or delid. I wouldn't bother with the monoblock at this point. With a delid, at best you might find that you're able to hit 4.7 on all cores, but temps will be improved.

As for the rest, I wouldn't sell just yet - Intel's next HEDT iteration is some months out, if at all this year.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Abaidor
Level 9
In order to delid though I might have to go with a VRM Block + a new CPU block (reusable) + Delid tool (75 Euros) since the height of the CPU will be reduced and contact with the monoblock will not be ideal and I might have to start playing with thermal pads of different thickness (on the VRMs) to still end up with not ideal performance. At leas that's what i read from other users and it makes sense.

Alternatively and given that I won't even get a solid 10% performance increase, I might keep things as they are and wait for new soldered CPUs (if the are soldered) to see what they have to offer. I can then sell the i9-7940X and take it from there.

The cost for deliding + changing the CPU block for me with all that is needed (purchased + shipping) is more than 250 EUROS - probably not worth it at this point.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Apologies, I actually misread your post this morning - you already own a monoblock. I think you should be fine post delid, but at this point there's no harm in leaving things be. That overclock is reasonable all things considered. I'm currently running a non-delidded 7900X with 4.8 on all cores and have no intention of changing anything till next gen.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Abaidor
Level 9
I am just realizing that I will go through a lot of trouble for an overclock that won't be even 10% higher than what I have.

Anyway, I will first wait to see what the refresh CPUs have to offer then and will take it from there although to be realistic besides IHS soldering (if so) I don't expect any considerable improvements unless I move to a higher core count + higher clocks. We'll see.