cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero random shutdown

Vy-Ro
Level 7
Hy guys i'm new here and i just bought a new systamen, i builit, updated the bios to 0804 and it boot, after that i tried to get my ram to what is rated for 3200 and, it looked stable, cinebench fine, prime 95 no problem, at this poit the system was 2 days old, used it for like 40 minutes and it was fine, then i started whatching netflix and the pc just turn off but the led's on the motherboard were on, i tried the power botton, nothing, i tried start botton nothing, i had to switch the psu power botton off and then back on, after that it would boot normally. so i though the problem was the ram oc, no problem i'll run it stock form now. I started playing with it and after like 10 minutes again, turn off bottons doesnt work so PSU off and on. i coulkdn't undestand so power off the psu for 5 minutes, then pressed cmos reset for like 30 sec or so. Turned on and i played a while, no problem system seemed fine so i left it downloading a bunch of steam games updates, when i got back the system was off, same issue. I though some component must be bad, so i RMA everithing and tried every combinations possible, nothing same problem with every combination still it randomly shutdown, so i started lookin in google and i found some post about CH7 RANDOM SHUTDOWN right in this forum so i read them and did everithing they said, no 2 program to rgb ligh and temperature, revert from 0804 to 0702 bios disable fast boot, but still the system random shut down. I don't have any corsair software (exept ICue for keyboard with no reading of temperatures),asus,nzxt ext... nothing i don't get it what's the problem?

System specs

CPU: RYZEN 7 2700X (STOCK ALL AUTO)
CPU COOLER: THERMALTAKE RIING FLOE RGB 360 (NO SOFTWARE INSTALLED)
MOBO: CROSSHAIR VII HERO (ALL AUTO)
RAM: G.SKILL 16GB CL16 3200MHZ 16-18-18-38 (THE ONLY GSKILL 16GB KIT CL16 SUPPORTED FOR 2ND GEN RYZEN IN THE QVL)
PSU: CORSAIR RM750X
GPU: ZOTAC 1050TI (STOCK I DON'T EVEN CARE JUST A PLACE HOLDER WAITING FOR A 2080 OR A 1080TI)

someone can help me? i don't know what to do, i lost like 2 weeks now on this problem and my mind too. Please help
16 REPLIES 16

rchiwawa
Level 7
I doubt it is your RAM fwiw. When trying to extract the most I could from both Corsair Vengeance RGB 16-16-16-16-36 3333 2x16 ram and G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZR ram I would get hard locks, Memtest failures, or generally bizarre behavior but no hard shut downs. The hard shutdowns I experienced were all due to hardware monitoring software trying to use it NZXT's CAM didn't play nice with HWinfo and it would hard shut down if I had fired up CAM at all during the session randomly and under seemingly light loads just as much heavy like p95. Things were made worse by having AiSuite3 installed and still just as bad with it "uninstalled" by the Windows uninstaller. The stand alone Microsoft uninstaller, while generally excellent, doesn't fully exorcise AISuite. Only the specialized removal tool did the trick. I had to dig around to find Ai3Cleaner to genuinely remove all traces of Asus software. Once I had done that the hard shut downs were much less frequent but still very much a reality where HWinfo and NZXT's CAM are concerned.

BIOS 060x, which shipped on the board I received, was the most stable and was noticeably less likely to have hard shutdowns. Revisions 070x and 0804 were all trouble for the Corsair kit and not a problem which makes no sense to me but a couple of weeks of hitting my head on the wall of bugginess has me convinced there is something to it. Both kits are Samsung B-die dram, but the G.Skill kit owing to much faster timing I elected to keep. That said, no hard shut downs that I could trace back to either kit of RAM, just other misc. bugginess along with seemingly much more rare hard shutdowns under that rev.

Anything that tries to query the custom Asus IC for extended hardware information seems to hard shutdown the board and nothing else... it's got to be some software touching that custom IC. Even Asus' own AiSuite3 was problematic in my usage. I did a multi-year stint running a small computer repair shop and I struggle to remember anything actually ever going down hard like what you and I have both experienced with this board. This reinforces my gut instinct something has to be trying to use that chip in your software environment. I could see a CPU thermal issue causing something like this or perhaps a wonky power supply but I can’t think of an instance of it having seen countless computers in that stretch running a repair shop.

If you happened to have loaded AiSuite at all, I suggest uninstalling it and all Asus software. One thing I have learned the hard way in 20 years is that Asus software has been and will always be pure trash. I gave them the benefit of the doubt after a 6 year hiatus from a self built machine of any kind but since pre 2k their software has been between a nuisance to unforgivable. Seek out and use the "ai3cleaner" executable. For aura use the "microsoft program install and uninstall" troubleshooting pack cabinet.

I didn't have Aura crashing anything but given that it, too, did not want to cleanly uninstall I consider it suspect FWIW.

You might try BIOS rev 060x. I discern no difference in my usage between it and 0804 but I run 0804 anyway.

thank you for replying, i don't remember what bios was in my board because it didn't boot at all with that so first thing i updated via internet and then downgraded to 0702, now it works 7 hours and something into aida 64 no crash no nothing, this morning it crashed at the hour and a half mark then i uninstalled gputweak2 cmos clean set ram docp and it apparently works. i don't think gputweak was the problem but still. Aura to me works fine(not the latest version but the reccomanded)

rchiwawa
Level 7
Good deal but if you do continue to run into problems there are a few members on here who are quite good who can throw in more knowledge than I can. Lord knows they bailed me and probably countless dozens of others out.

syldon
Level 9
Vy-Ro wrote:
Hy guys i'm new here and i just bought a new systamen, i builit, updated the bios to 0804 and it boot, after that i tried to get my ram to what is rated for 3200 and, it looked stable, cinebench fine, prime 95 no problem, at this poit the system was 2 days old, used it for like 40 minutes and it was fine, then i started whatching netflix and the pc just turn off but the led's on the motherboard were on, i tried the power botton, nothing, i tried start botton nothing, i had to switch the psu power botton off and then back on, after that it would boot normally. so i though the problem was the ram oc, no problem i'll run it stock form now. I started playing with it and after like 10 minutes again, turn off bottons doesnt work so PSU off and on. i coulkdn't undestand so power off the psu for 5 minutes, then pressed cmos reset for like 30 sec or so. Turned on and i played a while, no problem system seemed fine so i left it downloading a bunch of steam games updates, when i got back the system was off, same issue. I though some component must be bad, so i RMA everithing and tried every combinations possible, nothing same problem with every combination still it randomly shutdown, so i started lookin in google and i found some post about CH7 RANDOM SHUTDOWN right in this forum so i read them and did everithing they said, no 2 program to rgb ligh and temperature, revert from 0804 to 0702 bios disable fast boot, but still the system random shut down. I don't have any corsair software (exept ICue for keyboard with no reading of temperatures),asus,nzxt ext... nothing i don't get it what's the problem?

System specs

CPU: RYZEN 7 2700X (STOCK ALL AUTO)
CPU COOLER: THERMALTAKE RIING FLOE RGB 360 (NO SOFTWARE INSTALLED)
MOBO: CROSSHAIR VII HERO (ALL AUTO)
RAM: G.SKILL 16GB CL16 3200MHZ 16-18-18-38 (THE ONLY GSKILL 16GB KIT CL16 SUPPORTED FOR 2ND GEN RYZEN IN THE QVL)
PSU: CORSAIR RM750X
GPU: ZOTAC 1050TI (STOCK I DON'T EVEN CARE JUST A PLACE HOLDER WAITING FOR A 2080 OR A 1080TI)

someone can help me? i don't know what to do, i lost like 2 weeks now on this problem and my mind too. Please help

There is a multitude of reason why your system could be bombing out. You need to supply more information.

1. Thermal lock out? Does your system get hot. The mobo has a thermal cutout @ 115c on the TCTL sensor. That is 95c on the TDIE sensor.
Your memory can show stability issues if it exceeds 43c from posts on OC. You can use HWinfo or SIV for temp readings.

2. Have you ran a longer duration diagnostic with your memory? Most use HCI memtest for a durability test. You will need to run 16 instances of the programme using 850mb on each instance. Run it beyond 400% and this should be enough to give you a running condition. Some people take it extremes and try for 3000%+. At most I run to 800%, which used to be the expected normal.

3. There is an issue with a sensor causing shutdowns when it is read. HWinfo and SIV have an update to avoid reading that sensor. Elmor has stated that it will be fixed in the next revision release at the end of Sept or early October. What software do you have running/installed?

4. Have you tried running with base setting on your memory? Turn your memory down to 2133 for a session or two.

syldon wrote:
There is a multitude of reason why your system could be bombing out. You need to supply more information.

1. Thermal lock out? Does your system get hot. The mobo has a thermal cutout @ 115c on the TCTL sensor. That is 95c on the TDIE sensor.
Your memory can show stability issues if it exceeds 43c from posts on OC. You can use HWinfo or SIV for temp readings.

2. Have you ran a longer duration diagnostic with your memory? Most use HCI memtest for a durability test. You will need to run 16 instances of the programme using 850mb on each instance. Run it beyond 400% and this should be enough to give you a running condition. Some people take it extremes and try for 3000%+. At most I run to 800%, which used to be the expected normal.

3. There is an issue with a sensor causing shutdowns when it is read. HWinfo and SIV have an update to avoid reading that sensor. Elmor has stated that it will be fixed in the next revision release at the end of Sept or early October. What software do you have running/installed?

4. Have you tried running with base setting on your memory? Turn your memory down to 2133 for a session or two.

The system was running stock, max temp was like 60/62 in HWinfo. Now the system seems fine, i left it overnight downloading all the steam updates, so it waslike 19/20 hours on so i guess no more problem (this with the docp setting)

Vy-Ro wrote:
The system was running stock, max temp was like 60/62 in HWinfo. Now the system seems fine, i left it overnight downloading all the steam updates, so it waslike 19/20 hours on so i guess no more problem (this with the docp setting)

Had the same problem… I see you have a Corsair PSU, are you using CorsairLink?
In my system it was this software in combination with HWiNFO or AIDA64 to cause the shoutdown… also iCue is no working fine with other monitoring software.
Hope it helps.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

elmor
Level 10
Most likely a software collision as mentioned. CPU-Z or any software using its SDK (like Corsair Link) together with a second monitoring software (AiSuite/HWInfo for example) will cause this problem. There's a solution but I'm not sure of the status.

elmor wrote:
Most likely a software collision as mentioned. CPU-Z or any software using its SDK (like Corsair Link) together with a second monitoring software (AiSuite/HWInfo for example) will cause this problem. There's a solution but I'm not sure of the status.

The latest version of HWinfo and SIV have been updated to not read WMI sensor from CPU 15. HWinfo and SIV are safe to use from this issue.

Been doing lots of research for sometime. My temps fluctuate allot. I have even had thermal shut down. I have repasted the AIO Pump twice to see if It was not enough Thermal paste or to much...Seems to not make a difference. I have uninstalled some third party temp monitors since I have read there are issues with them. I did have some shutdown prior.

I am now running Qfan disabled in bios My Aio Floe Riing is pluged into Pump header disabled cpu fan header since the fans run on a controller through USB and the not so good ThermalTake Software. The Aisuite says the rmp settins are at max. My output RPM runs around 1700. The manufacture says it can run 3600. The fan speeds go up and down constantly due to temp spikes. I just did a fan auto tuning for kicks and now it shows my cpu at a -1.0 I have also just installed the bios 1001 from this link https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103702-Crosshair-VII-Hero-UEFI-Build-Update-Thread.

First time getting a - on the temperature readings. Im at a loss and considering doing research for other coolers or putting the stock fan on.

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)

Processor:
RyzeN 2700X

Memory (part number):
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F3200C16D

Graphics Card #1:
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8 Ropg Strix

Storage #1:
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB

CPU Cooler:
Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT

Case: