cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expected fan behavior on Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX 1080 Advanced Edition

charltvisser
Level 7
Hey Guys As the title suggests, I am a little confused around the fan behavior for a new Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX 1080 Advanced Edition I purchased.

I know it has a feature whereby the fans do not spin up at low load and temps, however I made 2 observations which had me thoroughly confused:

1.) When the load and temps do reach a threshold where they kick in, I suspect the middle fan is spinning at a lower RPM than far oppose ones at both ends of the card. I established this by barely and gently having the fan blades graze my finger and listen to the tempo of the noise generated. The center fan sounds like it is spinning slower. Is this expected behavior? I this by design given the fact that the centre fan does not directly blow over the heatsink fins as the other two? I also ran the fans at full blast and performed the same test and I am still of opinion that the middle fan is spinning slower - to which extent exactly I cannot say as I do not know how to measure each fan's RPM individually.

2.) I noticed at some point after fiddling with benchmarks that once the load dropped to a point for the fans to stop, the center one was still spinning at a low-ish RPM, however Asus' GPU Tweak 2 claimed the fans were at 0% RPM. So again, is this normal? I must add I have also seen that at this low load or temps, that none of them spin which I would normally expect. Why the inconsistent behavior?

Many thanks for any input and guidance in this regard.

PS - according to GPU Tweak 2: BIOS: 86.04.60.00.BF & VBIOS: 86.04.00.AS03
2 REPLIES 2

charltvisser
Level 7
Found one answer: https://www.asus.com/za/support/FAQ/1035211

"[Graphics Card] For graphics cards with three-fans, why is the speed of the middle fan lower than outer fans?

This is perfectly normal. The speed of the middle fan is designed to perfectly compliment the airflow and the air pressure of the outer two fans."

charltvisser wrote:
Found one answer: https://www.asus.com/za/support/FAQ/1035211

"[Graphics Card] For graphics cards with three-fans, why is the speed of the middle fan lower than outer fans?

This is perfectly normal. The speed of the middle fan is designed to perfectly compliment the airflow and the air pressure of the outer two fans."

That's correct, and under certain conditions the middle fan does not spin at all, while the outer 2 fan do. As your obs it has to do with air pressure compliment/balancing in a 3 fan system and at specific temps. I recall when I first noticed this happening it freaked me out a little, thinking that something was wrong until i read up on it. it was one of those a "pheew" moments of relief.