cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook SMART status bad

lisaksmith24
Level 7
I sent my laptop in for repair in July due to it not booting past the BIOS screen. It said the SMART status was bad. They replaced hard drive and sent it back to me. The same issue has happened again already. I chatted with someone from customer service but they were not helpful. I can't understand how me sending the laptop in for repair is going to prevent the problem from happening again. This laptop cost me $1100, which I understand is peanuts to some people but not to me. It's a lot of money. The original one year warranty is going to be up in October. They mentioned a 90 day warranty past the repair but that is not making me feel very secure. To me, that isn't much of a guarantee should this happen again. What can I do? An $1100 laptop should last for years. I NEED this laptop to last for years. I don’t know what else to do.
2 REPLIES 2

haihane
Level 13
can you try posting screenshot of crstaldiskinfo of the offending drive?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Unfortunately, that really isnt a fault of ASUS.

The drives used vary from Toshiba, WD, HGST, Seagate etc.
If your drives SMART status was bad, they'll have replaced the HDD with a completely new one.

If this one has gone bad too then it isnt ASUS's fault, its simply bad luck on your part that the drive they installed has become faulty.
ASUS wont allow any RMA to leave a service facility without performing a full diagnostic test on the drive, whereby even a quick test would consist of a SMART status check, read OD and write MB test to check that the sectors are all okay and theres no irregularity on the platter.

Only once the drive has passed this test will it be cleared would it be cleared as a serviceable unit. This is the same for any manufacturer that uses an in-house diagnostic test.

I would advise that if you dont wish this to happen again, and are still under warranty then have the unit RMA'd again, have the HDD replaced under warranty again and then go out and purchase an NVME drive if your model allows for that expansion. If it does, simply install the NVME and grab a windows build iso from microsofts website and an OEM key off of ebay. This should last longer or certainly instill more confidence in your unit lasting longer than relying on the cheaper 2.5" hdd's ASUS use.