Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    39

    New System Performance Disappointing.

    Hey everybody. I'm gonna try to be as clear as possible in describing the help I need. Its going to be a long one so I appreciate everyone's patience. Its a couple of things actually..

    I recently built a new system to better enhance my Oculus Rift experience while sim racing. However my experience hasn't been very impressive so far. My new rig specs>

    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Intel i7 8700k (No OC)
    Asus Maximus X Code Z370
    Asus ROG STRIX 1080ti OC (NO OC)
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz (XMP)
    Corsair H115i Pro RGB
    Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 500GB (BOOT)
    Asus ROG RaidR Express 240GB pCIE SSD
    Various other HDDs

    The issues I'm having are simple. I cant run the same graphics settings in my VR sim titles as I could with my old system. I have to lower them or performance really suffers or the headset freaks out.

    My boot times suck compared to my old Sata SSD even though the NVME M.2 is in the main slot and is set up as "pCIE" in the UEFI. That could be windows related so I followed a Win 10 Performance Optimization tutorial and turned a bunch of unnecessary stuff off....nothing changed.

    Old system specs>

    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    Intel i7 4790k (No OC)
    Asus Maximus 7 Formula Z97
    Asus ROG STRIX 1080ti OC (NO OC)
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB DDR3 2400Mhz (XMP)
    Corsair H100i
    Corsair Force GT 240GB Sata SSD (BOOT)
    Asus ROG RaidR Express 240GB pCIE SSD
    Various other SSDs and HDDs

    In search of the possibility of leaving something out I didn't see any Intel CHIPSET drivers installed although I remember installing them...I think

    I went to the product page for my mobo and when I really look at it I'm a bit confused. I wanted to simply download the latest CHIPSET drivers but I came across this as being the most recent download available in the CHIPSET section "Intel ME V11.7.0.1045 driver"

    Then below that is>

    "Intel_Chipset_10.1.1.45" & "Intel Chipset V10.1.1.45". Below that looks to be older versions of the first two....however some are abbreviated?

    I downloaded both most current drivers. That was confusing in itself as there were so many different folders and different setup.exe but I think I got the correct ones. However, when I look in my control panel at my installed programs, besides my Intel LAN driver I only see this from Intel. "Intel Management Engine Components"

    Does that include the Intel CHIPSET drivers?

    I tried to install the "Intel VGA driver" and got an error msg saying my system didn't meet the specs for that driver..Does the 8700k not have HD graphics built in? I never really looked into it.

    Finally , Why dont they have USB 3.0 drivers for this motherboard? Is Win 10 capable of auto downloading the most current drivers for my USB 3.) ports?

  2. #2
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,822

    1) Need more info on the performance issues. For instance, do the games stutter or are you having a consistently lower framerate than on the older system?

    2) NVME boot times are generally slower than conventional storage devices, but they make up for this in the day to day use, so it should really make no odds if rational about things.

    3) Yes, you've installed the chipset drivers. If unsure, use the identification utility to download the latest version - https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/.../software.html

    4) Yes, see here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...product=126684

    5) USB 3.0 support is now native to the OS

  3. #3
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,359

    I tried the oculous rift for a while with the Strix 1070 and performance was good. Now, granted this isn't a racing sim I would still expect good performance from a 1080 Ti.

    Something that might help is connecting the displayport cable to the second Strix 1080 Ti displayport output.


  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    1) Need more info on the performance issues. For instance, do the games stutter or are you having a consistently lower framerate than on the older system?

    2) NVME boot times are generally slower than conventional storage devices, but they make up for this in the day to day use, so it should really make no odds if rational about things.

    3) Yes, you've installed the chipset drivers. If unsure, use the identification utility to download the latest version - https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/.../software.html

    4) Yes, see here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...product=126684

    5) USB 3.0 support is now native to the OS
    I was originally trying to run with the same settings as I did with my old system but its not working out. With the new system In my VR titles it has been low framerates, lag and some issues with the image getting jittery and blurry after fast movement like spinning a car out. Id have to do a full system restart to get it to go away. It would follow me from the game to the Oculus Home app.

    Lowering super sampling in Project Cars 2 from 1.7 to 1.5 has seemed to stop that particular problem. However I'm having to lower the settings in pCars 2 even further to get it to run smooth.

    I haven't got around to testing all my games. I did try GTAV and had so much lag in the settings menu I had to quit. It was so bad I almost had to do a ctrl>alt>del. My graphics settings in GTAV are the same as they were with my old system. Almost everything maxed out at 1080p.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)- NA -
    MotherboardEVGA X299 Dark
    Processori9-7960X @ 5.2GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-4000 @ 4200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti xC2 Ultra Gaming
    MonitorPredator XB271HU 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1512GB 960 Pro x 2 (OS Boot Drives)
    Storage #2960GB Samung Enterprise NVMe SSD x 2 | 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerDual 360MM XPSC Rads+1/2 HP Water Chiller
    CasePraxis WetBench
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Wireless
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher Wireless S6CRW
    Mouse Pad Black Anodized Aluminum
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System
    OS W10 Ent LTSB 2016 / W7 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Accessory #1 Hailea HC-500A 1/2HP~790Watt Water Chiller
    Mr. Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    41
    Posts
    126

    Try using only the drivers on the installation CD that came with the motherboard. Run the setup from the CD and select all of the drivers (but not all of the extra software).

    Try using a GeForce driver that was released from between January to March of this year. If your system runs better at that point, just try updating only the GeForce driver. See if that messes it up. If not, stop right there. Pursuing the newest drivers if the system is working fine isn't a good idea. The latest is often not the greatest.

    The Intel VGA driver doesn't install because the integrated graphics is disabled by default. You cannot install the Intel VGA driver unless you go into the BIOS and enable the crappy integrated graphics on the 8700K. Don't bother. It is pointless and there is nothing to be gained by it.
    Punisher | EVGA X299 Dark | i9-7960X @ 5.2GHz | 32GB Corsair LPX 4000 @ 4200 | EVGA 2080 TI xC2 HydroCopper Block
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W P2 | 2x 512GB 960 Pro / 2x 1TB Enterprise NVMe / 2TB HDD / 4TB HDD | W10 / W7 (Dual Boot)
    2x XSPC RX360 | Praxis WetBench | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Results:
    http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fox View Post
    Try using only the drivers on the installation CD that came with the motherboard. Run the setup from the CD and select all of the drivers (but not all of the extra software).

    Try using a GeForce driver that was released from between January to March of this year. If your system runs better at that point, just try updating only the GeForce driver. See if that messes it up. If not, stop right there. Pursuing the newest drivers if the system is working fine isn't a good idea. The latest is often not the greatest.

    The Intel VGA driver doesn't install because the integrated graphics is disabled by default. You cannot install the Intel VGA driver unless you go into the BIOS and enable the crappy integrated graphics on the 8700K. Don't bother. It is pointless and there is nothing to be gained by it.
    Ok,I'll give that a try. Ive spent the last week trying many other non VR games and everything is running strong. I'm actually in the process of doing an RMA with Oculus. The audio decided to stop working in the right headphone. Thank you for your help.

  7. #7
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,822

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
    I was originally trying to run with the same settings as I did with my old system but its not working out. With the new system In my VR titles it has been low framerates, lag and some issues with the image getting jittery and blurry after fast movement like spinning a car out. Id have to do a full system restart to get it to go away. It would follow me from the game to the Oculus Home app.

    Lowering super sampling in Project Cars 2 from 1.7 to 1.5 has seemed to stop that particular problem. However I'm having to lower the settings in pCars 2 even further to get it to run smooth.

    I haven't got around to testing all my games. I did try GTAV and had so much lag in the settings menu I had to quit. It was so bad I almost had to do a ctrl>alt>del. My graphics settings in GTAV are the same as they were with my old system. Almost everything maxed out at 1080p.
    I wouldn't even use super sampling, if I'm honest. You're effictively trying to run the game at almost twice the resolution. I would be tempted to install a dummy OS and see if the problem persists. You can also try running latencymon to see what process is causing the lag hike, potentially.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •