cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G703GI: Low sound from right side only

Chiller
Level 7
Hi,
as the title says I have problems with the internal speakers on G703GI.

Testing with the Windows speaker test, the sound coming out of the right speakers is barely audible, while the right side is fine.

I've updated the drivers, checked all balance settings and activated/deactivated any audio improvements I could find.

Any suggestions?
32 REPLIES 32

PhilG55vw
Level 9
Contact Asus and request an RMA number.

Chiller
Level 7
Update: Well I've been trying a lot of different drivers, and googling a lot.
After reverting to a custom Realtek 2.79, the volume increased on the right side, but only on the tweeter. But then the volume control didn't work, it was just constant loud.
So I reinstalled the latest drivers from the support site, and was back at the beginning. Good sound on the left, only a weak tweeter on the right.
But, as I booted up today, everything is fine. The sound is as it should be. There must be something in the drivers that is messing things up.

I think you stumbled upon a problem with ASUS or Realtek. They (ASUS support website) posted a Realtek Audio 121.79 MB 6.0.1.8443 driver dated 2018/07/16. Then they posted another Realtek Audio 178.02 MB 6.0.1.8443 driver dated 2018/08/04. Same driver but different sizes, strange.

I use the same Realtek Audio driver in my G752VSK. I found the 2018/07/16 dated driver failed to load properly (all kinds of problems). I have now installed the 2018/08/04 dated driver and everything is fine.

Note: The actual date of the latest 6.0.1.8443 driver is 2018/05/08, identified loaded in my system.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Chiller
Level 7
Right, I actually missed that detail, but I am using the latest one now.
If i turn off the computer and pull the powercord for a while, everything is fine when I boot up. When I connect and then disconnect the headphone jack, the speaker thing happens. Rebooting does nothing.

Have you tried the Realtek R2.82 driver from the Realtek website? That was the driver I kept reverting to when I was testing ASUS supported drivers.

This one loads a little different (longer) but does seem to be more pliant than most.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&Down...

Check the acceptance box, then next, takes you to next page, press High Definition Audio Codecs, takes you to download page, the second listed R2.82 driver is what you want to try. The Read Me file is there for download if you have questions.

The size of this file is almost the same as the one from ASUS but I used it for some time when I couldn't get any driver from ASUS to work.

It's worth a try, you already know the drill how this driver installs (execute update, it uninstalls existing driver, reboots, installs new driver, reboots. I always like to add an additional reboot. Check Control Panel/Programs and Features and confirm installation and version installed.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Chiller
Level 7
I've been trying to download from Realtek, but I only get a "This site is not working" "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" whenever I try to download. But I did find that version on a 3rd party site. I also tried R2.79 (modified). No cigar.

Chiller wrote:
I've been trying to download from Realtek, but I only get a "This site is not working" "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" whenever I try to download. But I did find that version on a 3rd party site. I also tried R2.79 (modified). No cigar.

Did you solve this problem? I have a similar issue with my G703GI, only that the low, thin sound is from my LEFT speaker.
Strange thing is that it only happens 50 % of the time. It seems quite random, sometimes everything is fine when I boot up, and sometimes it's not.
I've also tried a lot of different Realtek drivers but the problem is still there.

Just chiming in... Wanna say that I have a similar problem.

Both tweeters on my ROG G703 work just fine, but the bottom speakers ("subwoofers") mess up from time to time.
Sometimes both work, but sometimes just the right one.
The speakers in general crackle, pop and stutter randomly and also have a delay of up to 1 second from time to time, making watching movies on it not very pleasurable. On top of all that, the volume of the speakers ramp up and down randomly, but not equally on both sides.
A reboot fixes these issues... sometimes. I already torn the notebook apart to look for any cable issues, but wiggling on the cable while playing music doesn't make the speakers crackle or the speaker stop playing - they work just fine. I believe it's a firmware, driver or even hardware issue.
The left bottom speaker loves to stop working especially after a Standby, but sometimes don't.

I already tried updating drivers, removing drivers, replacing drivers, disabled any audio "enhancements"... It's a messy situation all around.

If someones has the same issue or knows a solution, it would be awesome!

... And let's be honest: For a $2300 device nobody wants such issues.

Fusseldieb wrote:
Just chiming in... Wanna say that I have a similar problem.

Both tweeters on my ROG G703 work just fine, but the bottom speakers ("subwoofers") mess up from time to time.
Sometimes both work, but sometimes just the right one.
The speakers in general crackle, pop and stutter randomly and also have a delay of up to 1 second from time to time, making watching movies on it not very pleasurable. On top of all that, the volume of the speakers ramp up and down randomly, but not equally on both sides.
A reboot fixes these issues... sometimes. I already torn the notebook apart to look for any cable issues, but wiggling on the cable while playing music doesn't make the speakers crackle or the speaker stop playing - they work just fine. I believe it's a firmware, driver or even hardware issue.
The left bottom speaker loves to stop working especially after a Standby, but sometimes don't.

I already tried updating drivers, removing drivers, replacing drivers, disabled any audio "enhancements"... It's a messy situation all around.

If someones has the same issue or knows a solution, it would be awesome!

... And let's be honest: For a $2300 device nobody wants such issues.

My problem is just the same as yours. My tweeters work just fine, but the left bass speaker mess up regularly.
A reboot fixes this (well, sometimes I must reboot 3-4 times).
I don't have the other problems you mention, but I agree that such an expensive system should not have such annoying issues.
I've had 2 ASUS ROG laptops before this - they did not have the sound problem, but I had keyboard issues with those.
Don't think I'll ever buy an ASUS product again 😞