cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2nd PCIe slot as main for VGA card

snifirst
Level 7
Hello,
Just to be sure because i saw many people asking for the same question as me on other forums and the answer is YES, but on my manual it's like that :75581

So i don't really know what N/A means in this case (no applicable, not answer, not available), and if it's one of the two, that's not helping me. I can't check by changing the card now because of WC.

If anyone knows if it will work can you please tell me !
Thank's !
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
It should work but likely only at x8. That's why the manual is written that way: it's expected a single device would be placed in the highest performance slot.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

snifirst
Level 7
Ok ! thank you.
I saw many tests some times ago that GPU like 1080ti won't have any performance problems on 8x compared to 16x so it will not be a problem for performance.

snifirst wrote:
Ok ! thank you.
I saw many tests some times ago that GPU like 1080ti won't have any performance problems on 8x compared to 16x so it will not be a problem for performance.

I read in MAXIMUM PC magazine about a year ago that a video card in an 8x PCIE slot will have similar performance to a 16X slot. This is because the available video cards, games and applications do not max out the bandwidth of 8X lanes. In the future it might be better to only use an x16 slot as hardware gets faster and games and applications become more demanding.

snifirst
Level 7
Yes, i saw that too.
We will see with the new RTX families in the future but when PCIe gen4 will come to the market the problem won't be a problem anymore for many years to come as the 8x gen4 will have the same bandwidth as 16x gen3 !

snifirst wrote:
Yes, i saw that too.
We will see with the new RTX families in the future but when PCIe gen4 will come to the market the problem won't be a problem anymore for many years to come as the 8x gen4 will have the same bandwidth as 16x gen3 !

Thanks for that. I didn't know about Gen 4 PCIE having double the bandwidth of the current Gen 3. "Nothing but blue skies, from now on …" 😄