cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS fps drops, not more overheat..Maybe battery?

Niija
Level 7
Good morning. First of all excuse my low level of English.

My model is : GL502VS-FY043T (I7-6700HQ , GTX 1070, 8GB RAM, 525 SSD + 1TB HDD )

I just checked that my computer's battery is discharged even when connected, and that it has been an extended problem .
I always use the laptop plugged in, so this would not be a big problem either, if it was not because I'm experiencing notorious drops of fps in intensive games, and it seems that the graphics does not deliver more than 60% of its power.
I do not understand much about electric consumption, but if the battery that is provided is 180W and the graphics can consume about 150w + 40w of the processor,... how can supply power to the entire computer counting hard disks, ram, motherboard, etc.? I do not know if this happens to someone else or it may be due to another reason and I'm wrong, that's why I wanted to share it here.
How can we fix it?
Thanks a lot.

Offtopic: I am extremely disappointed with the model GL502VS, starting with the design (a screen covering the ventilation ducts, really?) Then the overheating (undervolt, bottom drill, re-paste, instability, loss of warranty, headache ) Now the battery ... What will be next? I understood that Asus was a prestigious brand, but with this laptop they have worn it..
4 REPLIES 4

McCoy
Level 8
180W PSU is not enough to supply CPU + GPU, i had 230W. The battery problem was ... well, the least problem.

Please check the following thread:OFFICIAL REPLY FOR GL502VS (6TH GEN. CPU) BATTERY DISCHARGING ISSUE

Niija wrote:
Good morning. First of all excuse my low level of English.

My model is : GL502VS-FY043T (I7-6700HQ , GTX 1070, 8GB RAM, 525 SSD + 1TB HDD )

I just checked that my computer's battery is discharged even when connected, and that it has been an extended problem .
I always use the laptop plugged in, so this would not be a big problem either, if it was not because I'm experiencing notorious drops of fps in intensive games, and it seems that the graphics does not deliver more than 60% of its power.
I do not understand much about electric consumption, but if the battery that is provided is 180W and the graphics can consume about 150w + 40w of the processor,... how can supply power to the entire computer counting hard disks, ram, motherboard, etc.? I do not know if this happens to someone else or it may be due to another reason and I'm wrong, that's why I wanted to share it here.
How can we fix it?
Thanks a lot.

Offtopic: I am extremely disappointed with the model GL502VS, starting with the design (a screen covering the ventilation ducts, really?) Then the overheating (undervolt, bottom drill, re-paste, instability, loss of warranty, headache ) Now the battery ... What will be next? I understood that Asus was a prestigious brand, but with this laptop they have worn it..

Disappointed with GL502? Oh, really? Look at my thread: !!UNRESOLVED!! ASUS RMA Nightmare (Russian edition) v.2 They replacing my GL502VSK for more than 80 days!!!

Please check following, those are lawsuits against ASUS scam with GL502:
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/asus-rog-strix-gl502vs-and-gl502vsk-laptops/
http://www.classactionsreporter.com/sites/default/files/asus_defective_battery_laptop_complaint.pdf

Damn ... what an odyssey ...
I'm not even in guarantee period ... so what the **** can I do.
And that you have a 230w battery? Internal battery or an adapter, what model did you use? Then is no a viable way to did this crap laptop work as expected?
Luck with the procedures

Niija wrote:
Damn ... what an odyssey ...
I'm not even in guarantee period ... so what the **** can I do.
And that you have a 230w battery? Internal battery or an adapter, what model did you use? Then is no a viable way to did this crap laptop work as expected?
Luck with the procedures

PSU = Power Supply Unit, the battery itself can hardly handle power draw from CPU + GPU.

Well, if you ready to get your hands dirty:
- remove heatsinks and polish heatsinks
- replace thermal compound and thermal pads
- order new back cover from AliExpress and drill

Everything above is described in details in this page: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

McCoy wrote:
PSU = Power Supply Unit, the battery itself can hardly handle power draw from CPU + GPU.

Well, if you ready to get your hands dirty:
- remove heatsinks and polish heatsinks
- replace thermal compound and thermal pads
- order new back cover from AliExpress and drill

Everything above is described in details in this page: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

I already did all that, and just when I solve thermal issues undervolting, polish and drilling the bottom case waiting to make the machine work right, I find the battery issues 😞 I dont know if i can take other model psu or what.. and if these can solve my fps drops.
Thanks, and luck. I check your post daily, and, again, sorry my bad english