cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL703GS -> When will ASUS release a working VGA driver?

Tindreal
Level 7
Hi all!

I have purchased yesterday this beast. It is equipped with a GTX 1070 and the latest 3 ms 144 Hz screen developed by AUO and ASUS.

The problem is however that ASUS forgot to tell about this to Nvidia so currently there is no driver available for it which works perfectly. I have tried reinstalling Windows and tried different drivers from ASUS website and NVidia websitte, all have the same issue.

The issue:
This panel (ASUS G703GI is using the same so that laptop is probably also affected) has 3 ms response time so the user should see no ghosting at all during his/her work in Windows or during gaming.
However that is only half true.
Working on the Windows desktop is smooth, no ghosting when I am moving windows around becaus of the 3 ms response time . However if I open a benchmark program like 3DMark or God forgive me...a game (!), then it does not feel 3 ms at all, more like 50-60 ms.
When I am clicking between the menus in 3DMark I can see black aftershadow/ghosting/blur effect when the animation (movement) is happening and same for gaming, in Rise of the Tomb Raider when I am turning the camera I see aftershadow/ghosting/blur.
Also when this happens the image also seems to become overfocused.

This is a software issue.

I have seen this same issue with the AUO 120 Hz panel used in previous ASUS laptops. However there it only happened when DX12 API was running, it was ok with DX11 titles. The only solution I have found there was to use driver 376.06 released by ASUS. That driver fixed the issue.

However with this new 3 ms panel it happens with both DX11 and DX12.

As I said I have tried different drivers (even 376.06 with a modded INF so it would install), but nothing fixed it.

Disabling G-Sync does not help.

The issue is the same which I describe here (At the end there are comparison screenshots) with the only difference that here it only happened with DX12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcF7jE8HY28

The problem maybe related to the new EDID used by this screen. The previous 7 ms 144 Hz AUO screens used an EDID which had timings for 60 hz and 144 hz, so the user was able to switch betweens these 2 refresh rates.
This new AUO panel however is using a different EDID which only allows 144 hz refresh rate.

Because of this I think that the screen controller in the driver is not working correctly and causing this problem.

Solution? Currently nothing.
When will a fixed driver be released? Probably never, unless ASUS get off their asses and file a report to NVidia and ask for a driver with a fix for this. This may take weeks or even months!

tl;dr: ONLY buy new ASUS laptops like the GL703GS and G703GI Chimera IF you don't mind that the Windows desktop has 3 ms response time, but in games the monitor feels like if it had 60 ms. Early adopters FTW.

Oh and yet again my question to ASUS Engineers:

HOW THE HELL CAN'T ANYONE NOTICE THIS AT ASUS ?

Most of the users probably wont even notice this because they think it is "normal", but c'mon, an ASUS engineer should notice this issue while testing ... or ASUS was hoping that stupid users will think this is normal?
12 REPLIES 12

Queen6
Level 7
My GL703GS is fine, display panel works as advertised on Nvidia 398.35. So it's not a common factor...

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
My GL703GS is fine, display panel works as advertised on Nvidia 398.35. So it's not a common factor...

Q-6
Hi,

Have you try the last driver 399.07

Fixed Issues in this Release

 [G-SYNC]: Windowed G-Sync mode may stutter after upgrading to Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. [2097340]

prevostmario wrote:
Hi,

Have you try the last driver 399.07

Fixed Issues in this Release

 [G-SYNC]: Windowed G-Sync mode may stutter after upgrading to Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. [2097340]

No as long as there's no issue I don't chase the latest drivers. It's fine on NVidia 398.35 which was recently delivered by Windows Update, W10 fully updated to 1803. Notebook runs everything perfectly, so see no need to fix something that isn't broken, I'll leave the GPU on 398.35 unless there's any issue.

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:

Q-6

Hi there!
THank you for the reply.

So you don't have ghosting/aftershadow while playing? Could you please try out Rise of the Tomb Raider and tell how does it look on your system compared to my video linked above?
Does it look like as in the first part or as in the second aprt?

Thank you for the help, your answer is important because it will decice if I need to take it back on Monday or not 🙂

Tindreal
Level 7
Forgot to ask, are you using BIOS304 ?
My came with this installed.

Tindreal wrote:
Forgot to ask, are you using BIOS304 ?
My came with this installed.

BIOS 304, don't have Tomb Raider, tried Dying Light last night and it's fine even when deliberately rotating on the spot as fast as possible, nor noticed any other ghosting with anything else.

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
BIOS 304, don't have Tomb Raider, tried Dying Light last night and it's fine even when deliberately rotating on the spot as fast as possible, nor noticed any other ghosting with anything else.

Q-6

My last idea was downgrading the BIOS, but Win10 1803+BIOS 304 is ok for you so downgrading BIOS would be meaningless...

Could you please check check 3DMark? There is a free demo on Steam.

When I swiwtch between the menus and when I switch back to the "Benchmarks" menu the pictures which I marked leave a faint black shadow after them while they are moving. On my GL703GS the ghosting/aftershadow is small in this case and may be hard to spot for the first time, but could you please check this?
On a perfect screen there should be no aftershadow/ghosting at all while those pictures are moving.

If you have time you can also run a Time Spy test, I can easely spot this ghosting/aftershadow during that test. Fire Strike also has it, but it is harder to spot, better to try Time Spy.

Thank you!

Tindreal
Level 7
To help understand the problem more a comparison of Rise of the Tomb Raider:

This is how it should look like during fast movement:

However this is how it looks during movement on my GL703GS:

As you can see everything has a weird black aftershadow/ghosting.

All games are affected, I only use RoTTR because it is the most annoying in this one.

Tindreal
Level 7
Oh, 1 more thing: Can you please also check your vBIOS version ?

Thank you.