cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another failure for a Maximus IX Formula Board

Edward_Teach
Level 7
I have had nothing but bad luck with the IX Formula series. This boards problem stems from the Pcie x16 slot. it runs at x1 or x4 speeds no matter what GPU I have in it. I have upgraded the bios, downgraded the bios. Used DDU the reinstall various drivers. Ran it through several benchmark tests and average gaming to see if it would ramp up to x16 or x8 with dual gpus. I have swapped power supplies and checked all gpus in other systems. What's really upsetting is this is the fourth replacement for this motherboard with the very real possibility of seeing a fifth. In email communication with Asus CS for a few days and so far they suggested to run 3Dmark and Furmark (which I told them I already did), and to make sure that it is in the proper Pcie slot(shaking my head sadly at the level of reading comprehension). Hoping that someone here can maybe give me a clue on what to try next if anything. I checked for bent pins and I do not see any.
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hello Edward_Teach

Four boards with the same problem, here's what I think is happening.

The Formula like the Code has armor, one time my Strix 1070 was only showing x2. Reseating it with little downward pressure solved it, make sure you're using at least one screw securing it tightly to the pci bracket.

I'd think it's either this or possibly the cpu.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Edward_Teach

Four boards with the same problem, here's what I think is happening.

The Formula like the Code has armor, one time my Strix 1070 was only showing x2. Reseating it with little downward pressure solved it, make sure you're using at least one screw securing it tightly to the pci bracket.

I'd think it's either this or possibly the cpu.

Various problems Nate, 4 replacements. I'll try another cpu being that I already have it partially torn down. Since I didn't catch this until this week, you may be right. I always use the bracket screws since most gpus sag these days. Okay, swapping the cpu didn't change it. It was a good thought though. Here is a pic of the cpu pins75666 and pics of Gpu-z/Cpuid from after the cpu swap.7566775668

Nate152
Thank you

It's hard to tell but the pin I have circled looks like it could be off, check the socket with a magnifying glass and see if any pins look out of place.

Edward_Teach
Level 7
looked again, as far as i can tell its not bent but I don't have anything that can take a sharp enough picture. I'll try again after work