cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low gpu usage and low frames in game! Help!

mojoeskimo
Level 7
Okay computer gurus here we go!
I have a new rig(specs below) and it has been doing fine for a month, but now all of a sudden I am getting very low frame rates in games(19-30 fps) on any settings....that before were running smooth 120+ fps on high to ultra settings. My GPU utilization hovers around 30-40%. My CPU seems to do fine and has no sign of throttling.
CPU: i7 8700K
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1080ti 11GB
Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E
RAM: 1x DDR4 16GB
SSD: Samsung 500gb
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Moniter: 32in Acer Predator 1440p @ 165hz

I have no overclocking settings active and I have all updated drivers and updated bios. I have assured that my power settings are all set to performance. I use gsync (vsync off) and use 'gaming mode' in GPU Tweak II. Its been kinda frustrating and I have been trying to diagnose/fix the problem all day. Like i said, the rig ran fine not long ago on these same settings and was using the GPU fully. Let me know if you guys want some benchmarks and/or screenshots of values. Thanks in advance! 😄
16 REPLIES 16

mojoeskimo
Level 7
Some screenshots and FYI I have no idea what to look for when it comes to most of these values and what optimal is.

Nate152
Hello mojoeskimo

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Yep, there's something definitely wrong with a score that low. First thing I notice is the memory is running at the proper speed of 11,000MHz but the core clock looks to be boosting to only 1278MHz. Superposition is showing 100% gpu utilization.

Temps aren't a problem at 52c - 56c.

1 ram stick is probably hindering performance some but I'm not sure it would that much.

Post us a screenshot of GPU-Z, maybe this will tell us something.

All of these were captured under load or while i was in game (Day of Infamy) which should be a breeze for my system, was getting 160-190 fps previously.

just makes me cringe... here is what user benchmark is saying...
I wouldn't suspect my gpu be a bad card beings it worked flawlessly already? I put my gtx960 in this rig and it runs fine. I just don't get it.
THINGS I HAVE TRIED:
-enable and disable all OC
-settings on performance (bios,windows,and nvidia control panel)
-DDU and reinstall drivers
-Made sure bios and all mobo related drivers were up to date
-tried installing previous nvidia drivers
-completely unplugged gpu and reinstalled fresh
-fresh install of windows/factory reset
-tried different refresh rates (60hz,100hz,144z)
-turned of any resolution scaling
-made sure applications were selected as priority
-checked all physical power connections(leds all showing good)
-ran gpu bare bones with geforce experience and GPU tweak uninstalled)
No Luck, I have been testing and lately my gpu percentage will randomly shoot up to around 80% for maybe a second or two while tabbed out of a game and then fall back down to like 20%. Why would it fluctuate so bad? and is it normal for my CPU to be utilized at like 7% while in game? seems like it should be higher IMO.

Nate152
I see the bus interface is PCIe x16 3.0 @ x16 1.1

Does it ramp up to 3.0 under load ?

Nate152 wrote:

I am at work at the moment so I can not re-test untill this evening, but that screenshot was captured while in game, so my suspicion is that it does not ramp to 3.0.*

Nate152 wrote:

It ramps up to a 2.0 even after going into my bios and manually changing it the gen3, gpuz say my graphics card supports 3.0...
Also while in BIOS, I made sure system was set on performance and not any type of power saving mode, but i did notice that in my graphics menu it says GOP/VBIOS STATUS----"Select Valid GPU" I guess i dunno why my gpu bios version wouldn't show up but i figured it must have one due to the graphics card being able to function and display an image, correct?
Furthermore, here are some graphs when i was running the render test in GPU-Z.
Why is my core clocked locked at 139? It just stays there no matter whether I launch a game off steam or just in idle it stays put....

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hover over the green on the PerfCap Reason graph, otherwise, it's not telling us anything.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Hover over the green on the PerfCap Reason graph, otherwise, it's not telling us anything.

nothing comes up when I hover my mouse on the green, although the "pwr" reading is what it reads the whole time described by GPUZ as "limited by total power limit"