ROG Member Array

Do you use any additional cooling for M.2 SSD?

Was just curious if anyone is using any kind of heatsink or fan cooling for their M.2 SSD on the CH6/CH7?

A lot of other boards place the M.2 slot right where all the other PCI-e slots are (e.g., VGA), so in these instance an added heatsink might be worthwhile. But having the M.2 slot on the CH6/CH7 off to the side and basically exposed to case circulation cooling, I'v never found the need to either add a dedicated heatsink or fan.

Anyone actually using cooling for their M.2? What kind of temperature differences are you seeing? Do you think it's "worth" it? There's already temeperature throttling, which, AFAIK, has never kicked in for me (which just leads me to believe additional cooling is not necessary, especially given that SSDs are made to withstand extreme temperatures and don't require aggressive cooling like a CPU).

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi usernameistooshort

I don't have an M.2. SSD but some people use a heatsink and as you say temp determines if you need one. They can run warm and anything over 70c you'll want to slap one on or have a fan blowing over it.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Rob W. PC Specs
    Rob W. PC Specs
    MotherboardRog Asus Rampage vi extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7980x Oc 4.6ghz 24/7
    Memory (part number)64 gb GSkill 3600mhz (8x8) 15,15,15,35
    Graphics Card #1nvidia Titan V + ekwb custom loop
    Graphics Card #2nvidia RTX 2080Ti on air.
    Sound Cardonboard?
    MonitorIAsus PA329Q 4k 32"
    Storage #1samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB. M2 nvme
    Storage #2Samsung ssd 970 evo 500gb m2 nvme
    CPU CoolerEKwb custom loop
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i 1200w
    Keyboard Logitech G910 orion spark
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus core
    OS Win 10
    Network Routerbt infinity super fast.
    Accessory #1 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD
    Accessory #2 Aqeuaro 6xt fan controller
    Accessory #3 Intel Optane 280gb

I have a Samsung 960 and 970 m2 nvme, temps never seem to go above 35deg on either even in the heavy’st of gaming or benching but I do have a lot of airflow over them from case fans.
    Personally I’ve never considered a need for extra cooling.*

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Rob W. View Post
    I have a Samsung 960 and 970 m2 nvme, temps never seem to go above 35deg on either even in the heavy’st of gaming or benching but I do have a lot of airflow over them from case fans.
    Personally I’ve never considered a need for extra cooling.*
    I've never actually measured the temps on mine, but I'm using a 960 EVO. No hard drive caging obstructing intake airflow (my SATA SSDs are mounted on the underbelly of the mobo in a Fractal Design Define R5, thereby allowing unobstructed airflow into the case via two Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 intake fans matched with the same fans for rear and side exhaust). This comp I'm using is dedicated for gaming, and it's actually the SATA SSDs (850 Pro) where the games are installed. The M.2 is strictly an OS drive, so doesn't experience much load.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array syldon PC Specs
    syldon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus crosshair VII
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 F4-4000C18Q-32GTZKW running at 3466 14-14-14-28
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080
    Graphics Card #2MSI 1080
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus PB287Q X 2
    Storage #1480gb M2 samsung m961
    Storage #21tb 850 evo and 2tb 850 evo
    CPU Coolercorsair hydro 110i
    Casegeneric
    Power Supplytitanium 1600w platinum
    Keyboard corsair strafe
    Mouse logitech g700
    Headset logitech g930
    Mouse Pad corsair duo
    OS Windows 10 po
    Network RouterVirgin media super hub 2
    Accessory #1 https://imgur.com/KRQSu70

One of the M2 slots (2.2)has a heat shield on the CH7. Using this slot reduces the PCI bus down to x8 from x16 though. The common sense thing is to use the other slot (2.1) and this one receives very minimal heat. The position of the 2.1 slot on the CH7 is in a similar place to the CH6's one and only M2 slot. I owned this board also and it has the same minimal temps as the CH7.

ROG Member Array

Actually, the heat sink of M2 2.2 can also be used in M2 2.1.

That's how I'm running my 970pro and it never surpases 35C under heavy load.

Guess in that mb place heatsink is not so necessary as in top M2 slot but I'm using it anyways. Hope the glue will not be so hard to remove from drive.

Cheers!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

A little heatsink is plenty for an SSD. But only when it actually intercepts some airflow. Just sticking more heatsinks onto parts doesn't do much when they're not getting any air.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    A little heatsink is plenty for an SSD. But only when it actually intercepts some airflow. Just sticking more heatsinks onto parts doesn't do much when they're not getting any air.

hehe, finally something I can comment about with experience.

I run two Evo 960s in raid - which means you don't get individual SMART info like temps. So I did a backup and wipe to break the raid and test it. I showed an idle temp on one drive of 42ish and another was 38C. But I couldn't figure out which was which. If you've watched some videos you may recall the heat sinks actually increased temps. I put it all back together and tried the temp probe on the motherboard and the fan controller board. Couldn't get those to stick on the nvmes. Finally I broke down and bought an infrared thermometer. That did the trick, I found the top nvme was the low temp - so the heat sink does work.

With extended use - CrystalDiskMark - I saw the un-sinked lower drive get up to 50C maybe 52. I believe this is well below throttle but I wasn't stopping there. So I bought an EKWB nvme sink. It's a serious pain to install on the bottom slot and I ended up cutting back some of the padding on the drive but I did make it fit. This means I could only test the heat sink fins with my thermometer but they did show a nice drop. I haven't run the whole break raid and test but based on the thermometer the bottom nvme is coming in about 3C below the top now (Maxed at about 44C). So while I could have been happy without the additional heatsink, I'm not concerned at all after adding one. They do work and for $12 it's not a bad investment for peace of mind.

(Edit: my case config has a 280 rad in push/pull in the front of the case with nothing restricting air flow to the MB)
    Last edited by Armus; 09-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.