cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GM Battery discharging while plugged in

shiftiness
Level 7
I have an Asus ROG Strix GL703GM-E5045T. I'm currently doing nothing more intensive than web browsing and watching Netflix, and my CPU and GPU temps are both in the forties, yet my battery is "plugged in, discharging", and the battery has gone down to 97%. Is this expected behaviour?
5 REPLIES 5

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Yes, that's normal. It will stay around 95% usually.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Yes, that's normal. It will stay around 95% usually.

Okay that's good to hear. Thanks.

What about doing more intensive activities does it decrease even further? Myself and a couple of others have had similar problems, there's another thread on this issue. I did a battery calibration and adjusted some settings for when I play some games and it seems to have fixed the issue for now, but not sure if there is an underlying problem somewhere.

JAZZYM wrote:
What about doing more intensive activities does it decrease even further? Myself and a couple of others have had similar problems, there's another thread on this issue. I did a battery calibration and adjusted some settings for when I play some games and it seems to have fixed the issue for now, but not sure if there is an underlying problem somewhere.

When I game it does often go down to about 90% in maybe an hour or so of gaming. But I believe that's just because it needs more power than the charger is providing. It then always charges back up to 100% afterwards.

I did Google to see if that was intended behaviour, and it seemed to be so I'm not worried about it.

Hi I have an Asus Zephyrus gx501 with the gtx1080 and I also struggled with discharging battery during gaming, I discovered that capping games to under 80FPS worked for me and stopped discharging battery!!! But this defeats the object of the 144hz GSYNC Screen, so I went to device manager and disabled the "AC power adapter driver" and since then i can play games full graphics and resolution at 144 fps with no discharge.

UPDATE: this works best when
STEP 1 Disable the ac power adapter driver,
STEP 2. charge the laptop to 100%,
STEP 3. using the "ASUS battery health charging tool" set it to maximum battery life mode (the 60% charge one)

DONE 😄 as long as your laptop is plugged in it should stay pretty much fully charged from here unless its put under extreme stress for a Long time.

I hope this helps many people like it helped me.