cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL703GE capacity limit for SSD

Razvan2090
Level 7
Hello,

Please help with an info about the gaming laptop ASUS ROG GL703GE. I am thinking of buying this model and I want to know if there is a capacity limit for the M.2 ssd, that is supported by the motherboard. If i buy this, i want to upgrade it with a 480-500 GB M.2 SSD and i read on some forums that 256GB M.2 ssd is the maximum supported. There is a capacity limit for the HDD slot if i replace it with a SATA 3 SSD?

I contacted the customer service from https://www.asus.com/ro/ ( automaticaly redirected to /ro version because I am from Romania) and I am not satisfied with the answer. I think the answer wasn't escalated to a tehnical departament for an accurate reply. The customer service told me that for this laptop version i can upgrade it with M.2 SSD up to 512 GB and SATA 3 SSD up to 245 GB (to replace the HDD). I have doubts about the 245 GB sata 3 limit, because the laptop has 1 TB hard and can't see the logic for this limit.

I would appreciate if you could provide me some accurate tehnical information about this matter and clarify this these aspects.

Kind regards,
Razvan
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Check out the Storage option https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL703/specifications/
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Is this true? Using the M.2 slot I'm limited to a 512GB ssd. I could not upgrade to a 1TB ssd?

tap002 wrote:
Is this true? Using the M.2 slot I'm limited to a 512GB ssd. I could not upgrade to a 1TB ssd?

The spec sheet shows the available configurations from the factory. You'd have to read the manual to see if there are limitations for DIY upgrades. There should be no limit for SATA devices but I've read some motherboards require a BIOS update to support higher capacity NVMe.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

tap002 wrote:

exactly what is it that limiting you to 512 GB ? a 1 TB M.2 SSD is the same size as a 512GB or 256GB even a 2tb is the same length only with chips on both sides. Even SATA legacy BIOS/MBR is good for 2 TB, NVME is not limited at all in UEFI/GPT
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
exactly what is it that limiting you to 512 GB ? a 1 TB M.2 SSD is the same size as a 512GB or 256GB even a 2tb is the same length only with chips on both sides. Even SATA legacy BIOS/MBR is good for 2 TB, NVME is not limited at all in UEFI/GPT

I was just reading the original post: "I want to know if there is a capacity limit for the M.2 SSD, that is supported by the motherboard." Not the physical size; the SSD capacity supported by motherboard. Even xeromist said, " I've read some motherboards require a BIOS update to support higher capacity NVMe. "
I would be highly surprised if the mother board actually limited the SSD capacity, but I had to ask. Your comment, "Even SATA legacy BIOS/MBR is good for 2 TB, NVME is not limited at all in UEFI/GPT " makes me feel better for the near future.

tap002 wrote:
I was just reading the original post: "I want to know if there is a capacity limit for the M.2 SSD, that is supported by the motherboard." Not the physical size; the SSD capacity supported by motherboard. Even xeromist said, " I've read some motherboards require a BIOS update to support higher capacity NVMe. "
I would be highly surprised if the mother board actually limited the SSD capacity, but I had to ask. Your comment, "Even SATA legacy BIOS/MBR is good for 2 TB, NVME is not limited at all in UEFI/GPT " makes me feel better for the near future.

Well up to the G752 they haven't nor have they on any of the current MB I just noticed that you have a GL Series notebook they are quite different than the G Gaming models. You should download your owners manual and your answer would be there. I couldn't imagine any reason that Asus would limit M.2 SSD capacity on a new unit they are going bigger not smaller. Now then the vendor will put in smaller SSD to make you think your saving money they also will have cheaper screen put in. Different countries also have there own model created the last 4 digits mean a lot and most buyers have no Idea But for instance my G752VY came is lots of different configurations Asus on had 2 DH72 Dh74 or something like that mine has 32 gigs of Ram and 256 GB SSD and 1 TB Hard drive the other model had 512 Gb and 64gb of RAM, Different vendors would stick in 2 256GB SSD in RAID 1 and call that 512GB and like mine I have 2 32 GB Rams stick I still have 2 slot open to upgrade some came wit 4 8 GB so you were screwed to upgrade All were G752VY Yet huge difference, Those last 4 digits reallly mean a lot DH72 and the Best Buy will Be BBXX other vendows have there own built with differen XXXX numbers.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro