Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Hello, I was able to hook my GL703GM to lab bench PSU and ran my laptop at 240W and it fixed it. So ASUS is definitely messing up.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xyz45 View Post
    Hello, I was able to hook my GL703GM to lab bench PSU and ran my laptop at 240W and it fixed it. So ASUS is definitely messing up.
    Interesting. Did you measure the power draw at the wall or at the 19v input?

I hooked a power meter behind my power brick and ran furmark and prime95 and highest power reading from the wall socket was 205W. After the GL702VS reached maximum temps (cpu 96C and gpu 80C) the power reading went down and stabilized at around 180W with a +/- 10W fluctuation due to throttling.

I haven't tried running for a longer time to see if the power brick fails when it heats up but i will report back when i have, an hour of furmark and prime95 will probably be enough.
    Last edited by Stpa67; 11-19-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling errors :D

Any noticeable performance increase when running with the more powerful ac adapter?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

So i was thinking instead of spending money on a new power brick, I would be more interested in a power lab bench PSU as mentioned above to power the laptop at home.*

Having that kind of tool can be useful for other applications like charging (kick-starting) dead batteries and such..

Can someone recommend that type of unit on ebay or amazon that would work well with our laptop?

In passing, this overload/overheating of the asus psu is getting annoying. It’s happenig at the worst possible moments in game and makes it un-playable for those 5-6 seconds before thing come back to normal. I have my laptop running with the bottom cover off sitting on a laptop cooler. My cpu/gpu temps max out at 80c/65c running a -120mv undervolt and custom 800mv gpu curve. knowning the other components are well cooled with the bottom case removed system overheating cannot be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    So i was thinking instead of spending money on a new power brick, I would be more interested in a power lab bench PSU as mentioned above to power the laptop at home.*

Having that kind of tool can be useful for other applications like charging (kick-starting) dead batteries and such..

Can someone recommend that type of unit on ebay or amazon that would work well with our laptop?

In passing, this overload/overheating of the asus psu is getting annoying. It’s happenig at the worst possible moments in game and makes it un-playable for those 5-6 seconds before thing come back to normal. I have my laptop running with the bottom cover off sitting on a laptop cooler. My cpu/gpu temps max out at 80c/65c running a -120mv undervolt and custom 800mv gpu curve. knowning the other components are well cooled with the bottom case removed system overheating cannot be the issue.
    A powerful enough bench power supply would be a LOT more expensive than a proper ac adapter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2