cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VS power supply adapter charger very underpowered - and the solution

Rythmicone
Level 7
While gaming under a normal load, the 230w charger supplied with the GL702VS (gtx 1070, Core i7 and 120hz G-sync monitor) gets hot. It will start to throttle. When there is a power shortage, you get frame stutter, and crackling in any bluetooth headsets, not to mention wear on the system. The battery has to be called upon the help out under load, and hence drains it during gaming while plugged in. There is simply not enough power supplied.

I went out and got a 330W Alienware power supply adapter/charger with the proper voltage but more juice. I searched and searched for power supply adapter from its common size to the uncommon size of the charging port on my laptop. I got one from some obscure seller on the Austrailian Ebay.

The result? No more overheating. No more throttling. No more crackling sound. No more anything.

Asus, why would you knowingly provide an underpowered adapter with you gaming laptops? This laptop released at $2500... there is no excuse for me having to by a 100$ charger and adapter to replace the one I have.

Not to mention, my battery quit for good less than a year after buying and was not covered. There goes 125$. I am convinced that the stress on the battery while gaming/charging was bad for that battery.

I expect more from an ROG gaming laptop. Once I got things all fixed ( The monitor was replaced under warranty, so that was good. It had a dead cluster) this laptop works beautifully. This should have been the experience from the start!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112529280619?_trksid=p2060353.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI112529280619....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-4mm-5-0mm-to-6-0mm-3-7mm-Converter-Cable-for-ASUS-AC-Adapter-Chargers/...
16 REPLIES 16

Niija
Level 7
Rythmicone wrote:
While gaming under a normal load, the 230w charger supplied with the GL702VS (gtx 1070, Core i7 and 120hz G-sync monitor) gets hot. It will start to throttle. When there is a power shortage, you get frame stutter, and crackling in any bluetooth headsets, not to mention wear on the system. The battery has to be called upon the help out under load, and hence drains it during gaming while plugged in. There is simply not enough power supplied.

I went out and got a 330W Alienware power supply adapter/charger with the proper voltage but more juice. I searched and searched for power supply adapter from its common size to the uncommon size of the charging port on my laptop. I got one from some obscure seller on the Austrailian Ebay.

The result? No more overheating. No more throttling. No more crackling sound. No more anything.

Asus, why would you knowingly provide an underpowered adapter with you gaming laptops? This laptop released at $2500... there is no excuse for me having to by a 100$ charger and adapter to replace the one I have.

Not to mention, my battery quit for good less than a year after buying and was not covered. There goes 125$. I am convinced that the stress on the battery while gaming/charging was bad for that battery.

I expect more from an ROG gaming laptop. Once I got things all fixed ( The monitor was replaced under warranty, so that was good. It had a dead cluster) this laptop works beautifully. This should have been the experience from the start!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112529280619?_trksid=p2060353.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI112529280619....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-4mm-5-0mm-to-6-0mm-3-7mm-Converter-Cable-for-ASUS-AC-Adapter-Chargers/...

Hi, sorry for my bad english. Im very interested in your post.
I has a similar GL502VS 6th gen (i7, gtx 1070), who comes with a little 180W power supply. I experimented fps frops in demanding games, and after solving the temperatures problems (re-paste + drill + undervolt) I still having it, so I think the battery is the problem. This post of you confirms my suspicion. Thanks a lot for share it. I try to get a similar power supply.

FastM
Level 8
So i think i experience what you are talking about with my GL702VS. It doesn’t happen often, i only play PUBG.. I have a analog headset and my sound does get messed up while my screen feels like it’s running at 10fps, i’d say the whole thing lasts 3 to 5 seconds. I should also add that my power brick sits in a metal tray under my desk which should help act as a heat sink and i pretty much always game on a external monitor meaning there should be less load on the power adapter.

Interesting that you figured out the power brick as the cause, like i said it rarely happens on my system so i’m not ready to spend more on a bigger PSU but after reading your description I knew exactly what you were talking about.*

Hi again, i decided to buy the same alienware 330W PSU ( Output 19.5V, 16.9A Input 100-240 V 4.4 A 50-60Hz)
and an adapter for my model ( 5,5mm x 2,5mm i guess... )
Mi current 180W PSU ( Output 19.5V, 9.23A Input 100-240 V 2.34 A 50-60Hz)
Thats specs are safe or can damage my laptop? Thanks a lot

Niija wrote:
Hi again, i decided to buy the same alienware 330W PSU ( Output 19.5V, 16.9A Input 100-240 V 4.4 A 50-60Hz)
and an adapter for my model ( 5,5mm x 2,5mm i guess... )
Mi current 180W PSU ( Output 19.5V, 9.23A Input 100-240 V 2.34 A 50-60Hz)
Thats specs are safe or can damage my laptop? Thanks a lot

As long as the Output voltage is the same it is fine.

FastM wrote:
As long as the Output voltage is the same it is fine.

Thanks a lot mate.
And what about the Input? I have like three power cords, all of them are "universal" 250V 2.5A. Is that fine for the new Alienware PSU?
Thanks and sorry if my queston is stupid. I have no idea about power management... Good day!

FastM
Level 8
yeah any of them will work.

SpookyWatcher
Level 7
Thx Much OP. I was just looking into this and spent about 4 hours looking for the adapter. Much appreciated.

SpookyWatcher

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Any performance difference when using the more powerful power supply?

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Any performance difference when using the more powerful power supply?

Yes, of course. Your peak performance will not increase, however your STABLE performance will. This laptop is powered by a gtx 1070 and a 7th gen core i7, it should NOT suffer. It is underpowered, and the brick itself will throttle, then the laptop will. Set the cooling on aggressive in your settings, and enjoy perpetual gaming without the throttling.