ROG Guru: White Belt Array FDSage PC Specs
    FDSage PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH74
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 4.8GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 CL14 G.SKILL TridentZ
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition 1936MHz
    MonitorLG 34UC89G-B
    Storage #1250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD (OS)
    Storage #26TB Black , 4TB Gold WD SATA III HDDs
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H100i v2
    CaseAZZA Solano 1000
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD 1000W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (CMX Speed)
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic Chroma
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterTP-Link AC3150
    Accessory #1 ASUS DVD+RW , Blu-ray drives
    Accessory #2 Razer Goliathus Speed Cosmic Mouse Mat

RAMCache II - Is it worth it?

After quite a bit of Google searching, I can't seem to find a lot of info about this feature. This seems like the right place to ask.

I'm building a new PC and ordered an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula motherboard. As of right now, I'm still waiting for everything to arrive. While looking at the mobo's features, I noticed RAMCache II which claims it can speed up loading times.

What exactly does this DO? It caches data, but in what way? Do you choose which data to cache?
    With 32GB of RAM, a lot of that can get wasted sometimes. If I can use more of that to reduce the time spent on loading screens, great.
    Will this slow anything else down? Any other programs? Boot time? Anything at all? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using it?

I know that's a lot of questions. I just want to decide if using RAMCache II is right for me.
    I would like to minimize load times as much as possible, but not at the cost of performance in any other area of my PC. I do more than game, too. I work with Adobe Premiere Pro and its performance is important to me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

New ROGer Array Hastin PC Specs
    Hastin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel Kaby Lake i7-7700k
    Memory (part number)64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3000
    Graphics Card #1nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
    MonitorASUS ROG PG278Q
    Storage #1Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair I115h
    CaseNZXT S340 Elite
    Power SupplyOCZ 850W
    Keyboard Logitech G19
    Mouse Razer TRON Mouse
    Headset BOSE QuietComfort 35
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87R

So the ASUS ROG comes with two programs, RAMDisk and RAMCache - each are different, but with some of the same ideas:

RAMCache - Set it and forget it! - Basically, set an amount, and you can either use Smart Mode, which will cache from various disks, or use Advanced Mode with a specific disk. Basically, as files are read from the disk, a custom device driver intercepts which files are read - and then caches them into RAM. I've noticed that games that I load often load a little quicker. It doesn't replace writing them to disk, only reading them. Safer option, one-click setup.

RamDisk - Lots of options and control - With RAMDisk, you're creating a specific amount of memory in RAM to an actual Disk Drive. You can then create a junction link to specific folders on the drive, and then sync them at will. Items are copied to, and work out of the RAMDisk, so if you lose power, you might lose data. However, if you shutdown properly, it copies the items from the RAMDisk to a .bak folder for backup, and then reloads them into RAM during startup (which may take some time). It's nice and worth playing with.

If you're looking for RAM-based caching, I think spending the time to configure RAMDisk is worth it, as you can target specific applications/folders to cache. In addition, you can sync them at anytime - there's more control. With RAMCache, you're at the will of the driver, and it seems to do a fairly good job, but you might see variances on loading time if it's decided to cache it or not.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array FDSage PC Specs
    FDSage PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH74
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 4.8GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 CL14 G.SKILL TridentZ
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition 1936MHz
    MonitorLG 34UC89G-B
    Storage #1250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD (OS)
    Storage #26TB Black , 4TB Gold WD SATA III HDDs
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H100i v2
    CaseAZZA Solano 1000
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD 1000W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (CMX Speed)
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic Chroma
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterTP-Link AC3150
    Accessory #1 ASUS DVD+RW , Blu-ray drives
    Accessory #2 Razer Goliathus Speed Cosmic Mouse Mat

That info is very helpful. RAMDisk sounds like a pretty good program. I'll fiddle around with it when I can.
    Thanks!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array brkkab123 PC Specs
    brkkab123 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 6600K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 32GBs
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 OC 8GB
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB m.2
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SATA & W.D. Black 2.0TB
    CPU CoolerEK Water Blocks EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 w/push/pull add-on fans kit
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X530 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear WNDR 3700
    Accessory #1 Logitech c615 HD Webcam
    Accessory #2 Seagate Backup Desk 3.0TB
    Accessory #3 Logitech U920 Driving Force Racing Wheel/Logitech Driving Force Shifter/GT Omega Wheel Stand

I've noticed on my pc that RamCache improves ssd's read/write sppeds. It does on my h.d.d., too.
    I have RamCache, Samsung Magician w/RapidMode enabled.
    My Samsung and Intel ssd speeds both oncreased with RamCache enabled. It's especially noticeable on the Intel ssd, as Intel SSD Toolbox doesn't have a RapidMode, like Samsung Magician does for Samsung ssd's
    My WD B;ack's speeds increased alittle bit, too, but not as much as both ssd's did.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Do you have to have another SSD for cache? I had another Asus board that had software called SRT that required a ssd, cached the ram too.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Hastin View Post
    So the ASUS ROG comes with two programs, RAMDisk and RAMCache - each are different, but with some of the same ideas:

RAMCache - Set it and forget it! - Basically, set an amount, and you can either use Smart Mode, which will cache from various disks, or use Advanced Mode with a specific disk. Basically, as files are read from the disk, a custom device driver intercepts which files are read - and then caches them into RAM. I've noticed that games that I load often load a little quicker. It doesn't replace writing them to disk, only reading them. Safer option, one-click setup.

RamDisk - Lots of options and control - With RAMDisk, you're creating a specific amount of memory in RAM to an actual Disk Drive. You can then create a junction link to specific folders on the drive, and then sync them at will. Items are copied to, and work out of the RAMDisk, so if you lose power, you might lose data. However, if you shutdown properly, it copies the items from the RAMDisk to a .bak folder for backup, and then reloads them into RAM during startup (which may take some time). It's nice and worth playing with.

If you're looking for RAM-based caching, I think spending the time to configure RAMDisk is worth it, as you can target specific applications/folders to cache. In addition, you can sync them at anytime - there's more control. With RAMCache, you're at the will of the driver, and it seems to do a fairly good job, but you might see variances on loading time if it's decided to cache it or not.
    I have tried so many times to use RamDisk for my Steam games. I create the disk and the Junction to Steam > Steamapps > Common > (my game). I play no issues, loads up fine until the reboot. I then go to load up my game and it won't load at all. It is as if that game doesn't exist. I try to set it back up via the backup/restore and it still is FuBar'd. I have to reinstall Steam and my game to get it to work again. I have tried the AMD RamDisk and THAT actually has the ability to save anytime there is a change in the files. Works fine, but you have to set up the junctions manually using a DOS window, which is a lot of hassle and I've messed it up more than once.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Your Samsung 960EVO M.2/NVMe SSD is compatible with Samsung's RAPID Magician software. It does exactly the same thing that ASUS RamCache does, albeit implemented in somewhat different ways. Samsung designed their RAPID software and their embedded SSD controller RAPID firmware/architecture to complement each other, so it should be "optimized" to run better on Samsung hardware than a more generic counterpart like ASUS RAMCache.

I run a SATA RAID0 setup on 4 Samsung 850PRO SSDs. I've found that RAMCache and Magician offer very close performance but (at least for the kinds of data I move around) Magician is slightly faster overall. I also prefer Magician's greater array of user-configurable options and settings, though many people instead prefer greater simplicity and automation, a bit of a personal choice.

You might find it worth comparing Magician vs RAMCache on your machine, in the context of measured benchmarked performances and in the context of apparent real-world performances. You can run both together, in theory, but their functions overlap and they just divide available memory into needlessly smaller segments and they can possibly even conflict in some situations - my experiments running both simultaneously were unsatisfactory, performance (vs no caching software!) was so dramatically diminished that I didn't even bother with the benchmark tests.

ROG RAMDisk is a fine product, but again there are other RAM disk softwares available.

RAMDisk and RAMCache (or Magician) won't do you much good unless you have lots of physical memory, I'd say 16GB or more, but they're also pretty much the only way most people could actually utilize home systems with >16GB RAM. Note that Win7/8/10 and all (recent) linux operating system cores have reasonably efficient memory management - they aren't perfect by any means, but they do indeed free up unused memory or fill up available memory fairly well - so long as they have enough physical RAM available to run smoothly (ignoring official system requirements, your operating system will generally tend to bloat itself into occupying about 4GB-8GB of RAM).

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

I have Ramcache I with my x99 motherboard. Really sux that I can't use RamCache II. It looks like the difference is the "smart mode" which "Automatically caches all your storage devices at the same time for optimal use of your system‘s caching resources. "

So if you have multiple drives in use, like your Windows drive and a gaming drive it may give you some extra boost. Asus really needs to allow us to upgrade our software for previous motherboard versions. :/
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

New ROGer Array RavVveN PC Specs
    RavVveN PC Specs
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6850K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) FC-LGA14A 3.6 6 BX80671I76850K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200) Desktop Memory Model
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GAMING iCX, 08G-P4-6686-KR, 8GB GDDR5X
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GAMING iCX, 08G-P4-6686-KR, 8GB GDDR5X
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    MonitorSony BRAVIA KDL60NX810 60-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D-Ready LED HDTV
    Storage #1Intel 750 Series AIC 1.2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW012T4X1
    Storage #2QTY (2) Seagate 6TB IronWolf Pro 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Disk Drive
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS R5-E10 Monoblock - Nickel
    CaseThe Tower 900 Black Edition
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1600W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode
    Keyboard G910 ORION SPARK RGB MECHANICAL GAMING KEYBOARD
    Mouse G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM PROFESSIONAL-GRADE WIRED / WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
    Headset G933 ARTEMIS SPECTRUM AND ARTEMIS SPECTRUM SNOW WIRELESS 7.1 GAMING HEADSET
    Mouse Pad G640 LARGE CLOTH GAMING MOUSE PAD
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 Surround Sound Speaker System Bundle with Bluetooth Audio Adapter
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition 64 Bit
    Network RouterApple AirPort Extreme Base Station
    Accessory #1 SupremeFX Hi-Fi's ESS® ES9018K2M digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
    Accessory #2 TrackIr 5 Premium Head Tracking for Gaming
    Accessory #3 Logitech Flight System G940 Force Feedback Joystick

Ramcache allocation

Please view my PC spec's below.

1st Question:
    When using Ramcache software provided with the Rampage V Edition 10 mobo, How much DRAM cache should i allocate on my OS drive?
    My Intel 750 PCIE 3.0 SSD is a 1.2TB drive.
    In the Ramcache software the minimum is 100MB & max is 62000MB or 62GB's.
    That Intel SSD is just for my OS. I don't ever plan on filling it up more then half if even that.
    At the moment this drive only has 1.01TB free of 1.09TB. Used space: 79.0GB Free space: 101TB
    I'b be just fine using all 62 GB's in the Ramcache if it benefits this PC. I mostly play hardcore PC games, Sony Vegas Video editing, and Internet.

2nd Question:
    In the Ramcache software it has above the hdd window: Select Master Drive,
    and below that it shows all hdd's the PC detects.
    Is this Ramcache software only for your master drive? Can you allocate your other drives as well or is it not needed and thus can not be done anyway.

Thanks for any input ya'll!

Motherboard:
    ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
    Processor:
    Intel Core i7-6850K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) FC-LGA14A 3.6 6 BX80671I76850K
    Memory:
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200) Desktop Memory Model F4-3400C16Q2-64GTZKW
    Graphics Card #1
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GAMING iCX, 08G-P4-6686-KR, 8GB GDDR5X
    Graphics Card #2
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GAMING iCX, 08G-P4-6686-KR, 8GB GDDR5X
    Sound Card:
    ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor:
    Sony BRAVIA KDL60NX810 60-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D-Ready LED HDTV
    Storage #1
    OS-W10: Intel 750 Series AIC 1.2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW012T4X1
    Storage #2
    QTY (2) Seagate 6TB IronWolf Pro 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Disk Drive
    CPU Cooler:
    EK-FB ASUS R5-E10 Monoblock - Nickel
    Case:
    The Tower 900 Black
    Power Supply:
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1600W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode
    Keyboard:
    G910 ORION SPARK RGB MECHANICAL GAMING KEYBOARD
    Mouse:
    G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM PROFESSIONAL-GRADE WIRED / WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
    Headset:
    G933 ARTEMIS SPECTRUM AND ARTEMIS SPECTRUM SNOW WIRELESS 7.1 GAMING HEADSET
    Mouse Pad:
    G640 LARGE CLOTH GAMING MOUSE PAD
    Headset/Speakers:
    Logitech Z906 Surround Sound Speaker System Bundle with Bluetooth Audio Adapter
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition 64 Bit

New ROGer Array bclhh PC Specs
    bclhh PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Extreme
    ProcessorI5-7600K
    Memory (part number)32 GB at all 2 pcs. G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2400-15
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG GTX-1070 Strix Gaming
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB
    Storage #2WD Blue Desktop 1 TB
    CPU CoolerMonoblock
    CaseBe.Quiet Dark Base Pro 900
    Power SupplyBe.Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 - 650W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe Silent RGB Brown-Keys
    Mouse Roccat Nyth
    Headset Corsair Void Wireless 7-Channel
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Network RouterFritz Box 7490
    Accessory #1 Bitfenix Alchemy 2.0 RGB Stripes
    Accessory #2 Alphacool VPP 775 Waterpump

So I have check if I can get resonable efforts when using RAM CACHE II. Please can anybody response if this are clearly valuable results?
    I use 960EVO 512 GB with 5% Overprovisioning with Magic 5.1. I have 32 GB Ram and so I took the choice to spend 16 GB to RAM CACHE II.
    Here are the famous Results . The driver was Intel not the Samsung.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	960EVO_Version.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	65551

Name:	960EVO_Standard.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	65552

Name:	Ram_Cache_II.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	65553

Name:	960EVO_Ram_Cache_II_16GB.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	65554
    Greets Bernd
    Last edited by bclhh; 07-02-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Driver Information added

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast