cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a stable GL703GS-DS74?

edbert
Level 7
Mine is crashing constantly while gaming, and occasionally while sitting on the table with a single browser tab open.

This is my third unit and Asus will not refund.
26 REPLIES 26

FastM
Level 8
explain crash,

full freeze (screen stuck and mouse wont move), app crash with error report, blue screen, full freeze with graphical glitch on screen?

I had this experience a few days ago with my newly purchased asus rog 703GE.. upgrade its ram 32GB and still sometimes.. hangs or perhaps crash(1time) I had to force restart it.. no idea why..

perhaps of the gaming center? should i remove gaming center? how to set it to manual everything and not to auto tweak the specs?

The Nightmare of Mcafee

ok fellow gl703gs-ds74 owners I have cracked the sodding reason for all our poor performance issues and heres how you unscrew it.

McAfee is the default av software on the computer and every single error in the event log related to spikes and crashing is directly related to how this insidious and horrible anti virus program. damned thing integrates itself into windows. @ ASUS, please going forward leave us the choice of which av software to install or at the least just use windows defender. so we can get real av software of our choosing so as to avoid this nightmare going forward

In order to fix the computer and I do mean there is LITERALLY no other way to un f it and I know from the last 6 months of heartache.

Factory reset the machine. then load a professional grade uninstaller program such as the one I used "iobit uninstaller pro". Also a registry cleaner wouldnt hurt. I don't know if the free versions with trial activated will work but if you wanna waste time its your business, anyway's use that program AND NOT THE MCAFEE REMOVAL TOOL, wont do crap.All that it will take away is the base layer but will do nothing to rid you of the registry and core assets installed in the main os folder. So the long road back is your only hope. Not even McAfee's professional ost's are competent enough to do this., which isn't saying much but I digress...for good measure suggest you run a windows search and erase anything and everything MCafee named that it finds. then and only then begin updating windows

If you successfully update to 1803 without running into critical errors you will have in addition via that successful upgrade have updated the os pathways which rewrites out any remaining vestige of the pieces of McAfee that will spike your os usage and cause the system to go unstable and crash and then and only then will you FINALLY be free and I dont even want to get into the back story of how I managed to figure this all out but as mentioned prior ive been trying to sol ve this problem for months. Needless to say @ASUS , you owe me a pay check for figuring this stuff out.

If any fellow gl703gs-ds74 owners still have trouble with this please contact me and Ill do everything I can to work it out with you. You paid good money for that machine and you deserve it at its best and not in the state we all received this unit in. sincerely the generically named user I am.

I hope this finds you all well. if I see no replies here I will create a separate post in an effort to let you guys know

hexaae
Level 12
First of all try if this can help: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/ (DRIVER section, download and install, even if not mentioned PM691)…

Said that, my GL703GS-E5012T has serious issue mentioned here and I've already sent a RMA request:
1. BSODs and freezes while playing (updated everything or even out-of-the-box)
2. panel AUO B173HAN03.2 [AUO329D] is faulty showing ugly inverse ghosting trails (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_qXG8TjcSE )
3. all USB3.x ports disconnect frequently while copying big amount of files (20GB) from external USB3.0 drive to internal disks, even from out-of-the-box config and after factory reset
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

You may have had a fedex special or insert your countries equivalent.

All the issues I encountered I initially thought were caused by the poor handling of shippers. However this information was not relevant in how I resolved the problem and seeing other ersons state stabiliy issues is what they were having I posted my resolution. The thing is sir. Mine works just fine now, I have the exact model gthe subject title is in discussion of.

No issues.

I have had some trouble that was also software related that before I figured out how to fix separately that I had to do a factory reset again and repeat these steps again and beyond that 0 issues. I am sorry for the hardware related trouble you are having though 😞

hexaae wrote:
even from out-of-the-box config and after factory reset

Did you follow the removal steps provided verbatim?

hexaae
Level 12
Of course removing all McAfee software is the very first thing everybody do... but won't help (never read before official MacAfee removal tool is unreliable at uninstalling it, BTW...). For a correct McAfee removal you have to uninstall first all McAfee programs from std Windows 10 uninstall panel, THEN pass the official removal tool: http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp
Done this from the beginning and never had issues updating it to Win 10 1803 and then to 1809.
Do NEVER use CCleaner and other similar tools instead as they can potentially damage your registry and software installation (and you'll see bad side effects only many time later). Registry cleaners and unofficial cleaners are unreliable as a rule. Uninstallers? Don't know, never used them except Mirekusoft Install monitor (that works the other way compared to well known uninstallers: it installs a background service that logs all the installers actions to undo them all the cleanest way, not based on up-to-date database per every single application as the majority of other uninstallers).

Everybody with these laptops GL703GS should install the above (msg #5) mentioned Samsung SSD driver: it's been confirmed by other users on other forums to solve weird sofware crashes and unexpected BSODs. Even doublecheck has been done: rolling back to original driver installed by Windows/ASUS reintroduced random BSODs and crashes.

edbert
epicseo
should definitely try this.

Unfortunately in my case they (see the 3 points at #5) seem HW related since nothing helped getting rid of freezes (no more strange BSODs with Samsung SSD drivers installed, at least) or USB power issue. I've read other users with my same issues even after they installed fresh new Windows 10 image without ASUS preinstalled software. This suggests it shouldn't be a software (preinstalled) related issue. Only RMA seems to have solved them...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae
Level 12
edbert wrote:
Mine is crashing constantly while gaming, and occasionally while sitting on the table with a single browser tab open.

This is my third unit and Asus will not refund.

Can you tell us your experience in detail? What issues you had, how did you try to fix them, and what about the ASUS RMA service? Really nothing helped?
--

I do not think your actually trying to solve this problem. this post has existed for weeks if not months unanswered, why speak up now?
I know the same can be asked of me but I asked first. again you do not have the specific model number and while of the same production line variant matters. You don't have to like it but it does