cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage vi extreme pcie issue.

Squik
Level 7
Hello,
I apologize for not posting in the right place if this is not the right place.

I'm having an issue with my board and would like to share with the community in hopes of someone able to help me without having to rma.
Which tech support told me 2 things and then said to rma.

My story.
I've been saving, and finally got everything, and have been installing everything over the course of about a week or two.
(slow and steady)
I have the rampage vi extreme.
I9 7900
64gb corsair dominator ram.
Asus strix rog 1080ti OC edition X2.
Some hard drives. (different topic)
Rigid tubing liquid cooled mobo block. And 2x gpu blocked.

My issue:
Only the top pcie slot is reading from the mobo. Via bios or windows. (windows 10 pro btw)
I have both cards sli in 1 and 3. 3 is not reading.

Troubleshooting:
I have swamped both cards, they both work in slot 1
I have had each card in separate 1 and 3 order with and without sli card. Only slot 1 read.
I have tried 1 and 2(only 1 read)
I have tried slot 2 and 4(no read at all)
And vice versa etc.
I have cleared cmos. (no change)
I have installed new bios via internet flash via bios. (no change)
I have not tried different cards due to no access.
However the cards plugged in each slot light up and show indication of power from the motherboard(led lights light up)
And then led lights will change color when plugged into the psu.

I'm trying to avoid rma due to the big ol pain in the a... Of u enclosing everything where it's neatly setup, and then u doing the liquid cooling and then shipping it all out just to wait 2+ weeks for it to be sent back.

My fault for not testing the second card, I only tested the first one.

If someone can help. Please do. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Thaclick
Level 7
DId you check in the BIOS see if your GPU Post?
Tools->Graphics Card Information->GPU Post

check your PCIe x 16 Lane Switch to make sure all slots is on position.

Thaclick wrote:
DId you check in the BIOS see if your GPU Post?
Tools->Graphics Card Information->GPU Post

check your PCIe x 16 Lane Switch to make sure all slots is on position.

I will most definitely check again.
I'm 100% sure the tabs (to the right of the ram stick(hopefully that's then)) are all on the same side.
I will check bios again, if I'm able to take pictures I will share.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
As Thaclick said, first check GPU Post

Then check PCIe DIP switches, make sure they are all to the left set to ON.

This sounds silly, but make sure the cards are all properly seated. Like, really make sure. Another post on here months ago had a guy going crazy and he seated / reseated the cards and they worked.

The switches are on.
I can't seem to post a picture via my phone...
The bios only shows me a card in pcie 1...
Even in the smaller slot, which has my elgato... Which is working fine...

jrmcdou
Level 10
Do you have the molex power connector plugged in at the bottom of the board below the pcie slots? It supplements the power to the pcie slots. It's usually for big power draws from the slots but it's worth trying.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

jrmcdou wrote:
Do you have the molex power connector plugged in at the bottom of the board below the pcie slots? It supplements the power to the pcie slots. It's usually for big power draws from the slots but it's worth trying.

i will double check on that when i get home today, im not 100% sure if it is or isnt so i will check.
if its not plugged in i presume i should plug one in? lol.

jrmcdou wrote:

im double checking on my pictures of the build.

im seeing (from doing some research on the webs as well) that port that a " ‘Molex’ style 4 pin power connection" is there however theres an ez plug? or rathe " ASUS’s EZ_Plug feeds extra power to the PCIe slots to stabilize a full load of hungry cards like GPU’s."

is that something i need to unplug and then plug in a cable going to the psu? or do i just need to make sure that its capped/already plugged in?

Squik wrote:
im double checking on my pictures of the build.

im seeing (from doing some research on the webs as well) that port that a " ‘Molex’ style 4 pin power connection" is there however theres an ez plug? or rathe " ASUS’s EZ_Plug feeds extra power to the PCIe slots to stabilize a full load of hungry cards like GPU’s."

is that something i need to unplug and then plug in a cable going to the psu? or do i just need to make sure that its capped/already plugged in?

You plug that molex connector directly to the power supply. Mine is plugged in. I have 2 video cards and an nvme card plugged in to the pcie slots. I did it just in case I needed extra power. It doesn't hurt to be plugged in.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

JustinThyme
Level 13
Its much more difficult to TS with everything in the case. Hind sight is of course always 20/20 but keep it stored in the future to always assemble new buillds outside of the case prior to assembly to make sure it al works.

Do you have any other PCIE cards you can put in the slots?
Also be weary of positions of which PCIE slots you are actually using and if anything else is plugged in to any other slots that might confict.

If you look at your manual page 1-7 it shows where you shoud be.

For two boards SLI you should be in the very top slot and one up from the bottom.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein