Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Geez that is a terrible design. Installation issues aside, those ram modules are getting constantly cooked from those heat pipes directly above..

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    Geez that is a terrible design. Installation issues aside, those ram modules are getting constantly cooked from those heat pipes directly above..
    You would think... but it looks as if Asus messed up the cooling in general because my GL702ZC already failed twice on me with the same problem (fans started running at 100% and refused to cycle down even after shutting down and restarting the laptop - except on the second time it failed, it ended up completely frying the motherboard and the system DIED).

I spoke with asus and the repair depot to try and examine the cooling assembly design and see if there's a fundamental problem there, but no one listens.
    The depot replaced the motherboard and the speakers (because they were vibrating) and another aspect of cooling (probably the fans)... but not the actual cooling assembly.

I think the problem MAY lie in the absence of the cooling pipe that was initially going to the exposed silver chip on the motherboard (below the CPU) in reference designs.
    The cooling design which has heat pipes running over the RAM doesn't have that extra heat pipe... but some of the reference designs and units shipped with Ryzen 1600 CPU have it (and they don't have the cooling pipes running over the RAM).

I asked Asus if they can replace the cooling with that one but they said they don't do 'custom replacements'.

Anyway, when the laptop failed the second time, RAM was fine... but those cooling pipes running above the RAM is NOT a good design.
    They should just replace that design with the one used in 1600 units.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deksman2 View Post
    I think the problem MAY lie in the absence of the cooling pipe that was initially going to the exposed silver chip on the motherboard (below the CPU) in reference designs.
    The cooling design which has heat pipes running over the RAM doesn't have that extra heat pipe... but some of the reference designs and units shipped with Ryzen 1600 CPU have it (and they don't have the cooling pipes running over the RAM).

I asked Asus if they can replace the cooling with that one but they said they don't do 'custom replacements'.

Anyway, when the laptop failed the second time, RAM was fine... but those cooling pipes running above the RAM is NOT a good design.
    They should just replace that design with the one used in 1600 units.
    You mean the chipset? If so, that doesn't need additional cooling. Usually not even a heatsink.
    But yea, heat pipes obstructing the RAM modules like that is kind of a bad design.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2