cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dram voltage

skellattarr
Level 10
i finally got my Corsair memory running at 3000mz by setting the cmd1 to cmd2 and i set the dram voltage to 1.400 but in hardware monitor it shows 1.417 is this too much voltage
ok so I went back into the bios lowered the voltage to 1.3800 and now its running stable so far with a couple of passes in techpowerup memtest and the voltage reads 1.395
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case
17 REPLIES 17

Alcolawl
Level 8
skellattarr wrote:
i finally got my Corsair memory running at 3000mz by setting the cmd1 to cmd2 and i set the dram voltage to 1.400 but in hardware monitor it shows 1.417 is this too much voltage
ok so I went back into the bios lowered the voltage to 1.3800 and now its running stable so far with a couple of passes in techpowerup memtest and the voltage reads 1.395

1.4v isn't too much, I tend to stick below 1.4v for daily use but many Intel users and whatnot report running DDR4 DIMMs at 1.5v without issue.

In all honesty, though, I'm not sure what speeds you were running your RAM at before you got it to 3000, but if it was something close like 2933, I'd go back to that if it means you can use a Command Rate of 1T. 2T is MUCH slower.

gupsterg
Level 13
Software monitoring has inaccuracy. The super IO chip on the Crosshair VI Hero is setup as such that voltage granularity is not that great, leading to further inaccuracy. I wouldn't worry about it skellattarr.

What you set in UEFI is pretty close to what actual DRAM voltage will be and it doesn't swing wildly when measured with a digital multimeter.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

skellattarr
Level 10
before I could not get above 2666 on t1 t2 works a lot better and all benchmarks like cinabench and Aida 64 has got way better scores and system much snappier
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

skellattarr wrote:
before I could not get above 2666 on t1 t2 works a lot better and all benchmarks like cinabench and Aida 64 has got way better scores and system much snappier

Oh, if you were at 2666 MHz 1T there's definitely going to be both a measurably and noticeably bigger difference when going to 3000 MHz 2T. Try enabling GearDownMode and switching back to 1T. This usually helps memory kits to post at higher speeds. Ryzen benefits from the higher DRAM speeds because the Infinity Fabric between the CCXs in your CPU also run at the same clock speed as your RAM. So memory clock speed has a pretty profound effect on Ryzen's performance up to 3200-3466 MHz or so. Tightening timings is another way to squeeze out some much better performance. If you get your kit to run at 1T with GearDownMode you'll definitely see a difference in games and benchmarks. Then the fun begins with tightening subtimings for even more performance, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Basically, Enable GearDownMode with 1T command rate. It can't hurt. And DRAM @ 1.41v is fine.

Alcolawl wrote:
Oh, if you were at 2666 MHz 1T there's definitely going to be both a measurably and noticeably bigger difference when going to 3000 MHz 2T. Try enabling GearDownMode and switching back to 1T. This usually helps memory kits to post at higher speeds. Ryzen benefits from the higher DRAM speeds because the Infinity Fabric between the CCXs in your CPU also run at the same clock speed as your RAM. So memory clock speed has a pretty profound effect on Ryzen's performance up to 3200-3466 MHz or so. Tightening timings is another way to squeeze out some much better performance. If you get your kit to run at 1T with GearDownMode you'll definitely see a difference in games and benchmarks. Then the fun begins with tightening subtimings for even more performance, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Basically, Enable GearDownMode with 1T command rate. It can't hurt. And DRAM @ 1.41v is fine.

geardownmode is already enabled the reason why i cant get any better with 1t is my ram is not samung b die it's sk hynix which dous not work very well with ryzen
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

Alcolawl wrote:

well I tried what you said made sure that geardown was enabled and went back to 1t and i could not get it pass 2666 if i set the speed any higher it would give sevrel beeps and won't post . I went back to 2t and it still would not post entell I set the geardown back to auto I'm happy the way it is. I want to thank all you for your help eny more suggestions will be welcome but i still got a lot to learn about this bios
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

JustinThyme
Level 13
While Samsung chips are generally better I dont think its simply just because of it being Hynix. Often one must search for the best "combo" with BCLK and CPU speeds and dram. Ive more than once actually boosted the others to get the memory up but also backed off a little at other times.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

skellattarr
Level 10
hehe I had a Nvidia driver crash and when it tried to restart there was a memory error so i set the ram to 2933mhz then restarted several times to make sure there was no more problem so far so good
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

skellattarr wrote:
hehe I had a Nvidia driver crash and when it tried to restart there was a memory error so i set the ram to 2933mhz then restarted several times to make sure there was no more problem so far so good

Glad things are running well for you. If you're feeling up to it one day in the future, give Ryzen DRAM Calculator a shot. It's not guaranteed to work but it certainly has helped countless others overclock their memory, achieve the kit's advertised speeds, fix stability issues,and help tighten up timings / get better performance. Including me.

Also, try finding an old flash drive that you no longer need and download Memtest86. It'll write itself to the flash drive, which you can boot from. Boot to that flash drive after making significant memory changes and run a memory test. If there are any errors, and I mean more than 0, that means the RAM is unstable. If it passes, it's usually a good sign that things are working well. This way you don't encounter system crashes (or even worse, corruption) in the future.