cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII 2x16 (32GB) running over 3200MHz (3358MHz)

Lothos
Level 7
I spent several days trying to find people posting threads where they got 2x16 memory sticks working on this motherboard over 3200MHz and I have come up with nothing.

Since I was able to do it I wanted to post my results here and how I did it.

First thing I ran into is what everyone was saying. If you try and get the memory to run with no changes (other than timings) it simply will not work. Best I could do was getting it ALMOST stable at 3333 and it would boot up at 3400.

After that wall I found an interesting article on how someone overclocked Ryzen 2700x on this board up to 5GHz and they increased the FSB to 125MHz to do it. Most people I see only go up to 101-104 and stay within that range. I also found it interesting int he same artcile that temps go down as you increase the FSB since the processor can do the same amount of work with less power (assuming you can get it stable). NOTE: As you continue reading I confirmed the exact same results this article said that I can get the same speeds on lower voltages which lower the temps.

First I went to the extreme and did a 125MHz FSB (NOTE: I ran into an FSB wall at 130MHz). was able to get the CPU stable at 4.125GHz on 1.28 volts and the memory at 3000Mhz. When I took the memory up to 3333MHz I got it stable when I changed the Ohms from 20/20/20/20 to 30/30/40/60. The only issue I was having is that the Nvidia Graphics card (EVGA 1080) was not happy and would crash but the CPU and memory would pass all my tests.

So I took this is a slightly different direction and lowered the FSB to 120 which then gave me a CPU speed of 4.080GHz at 1.28 volts (anything lower and its a no go). I was then able to get the memory at 3358MHz and I used the timings for the latest version of Ryzen DRAM Calculator program that is available on the web but used the timings it suggested for 3600MHz (I tried using timings it suggested for lower speeds but it was not stable).

When I did that everything became stable including the video card.

I ran Intel Burn Test on Very High Settings and it passed
I ran 3DMark and there was no issues (CPU Score = 9556)

Also played a few video games (including one of my favorites Diablo 3) and everything was perfectly fine.

Below is my CPU-Z screenshots. If some people want to try and mimic what I did so they can go up to 32GB on their systems I will be happy to post my BIOS screen shots.

I did use Samsung B-Die and my temps on Intel Burn Test never exceeded 71c using a regular 2 fan compact liquid cooler unit you can get for about $70

NOTE: I can't get it to post if I set at 3400+ but if anyone has any success in geting 2x16 (32GB) to higher speeds I would really like to hear your results.
7 REPLIES 7

paturned
Level 7
Interesting approach. I have G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ B die on CH VII and have also reached that speed but with an error at 500% in MemTest so
presently at 3200 14-14-14-34 error free.

Could you post the url for that article you mentioned?

Im running F4-3466C16-16GTZR Trident Z 16GB x 2

I cant boot with any setting at all 😞

Lothos
Level 7
I am trying to find the article, if I do I will link it.

rchiwawa
Level 7
Lothos wrote:
I spent several days trying to find people posting threads where they got 2x16 memory sticks working on this motherboard over 3200MHz and I have come up with nothing....

@3400 Memtest USB boot 100% stable 5 passes.

It required relatively little in way of fiddling to get here. Off to bench it. If anyone is still tracking or wants the configuration I'd be happy to elaborate.

rchiwawa wrote:

@3400 Memtest USB boot 100% stable 5 passes.

It required relatively little in way of fiddling to get here. Off to bench it. If anyone is still tracking or wants the configuration I'd be happy to elaborate.

Can you post all of your timing settings to get that?

Lothos wrote:
Can you post all of your timing settings to get that?

This exactly with the voltages manually defined @ recommended, I am sure it's not necesary but I run the VRMs for everything in auto LLC, Extreme phase mode and fastest response time configurable. Since is runs well and stays cool I haven't seen fit to change it. Since the memory benched out with slower throughput at 3400 vs below, I figure it was on the ragged edge of what it could actually do despite testing out stable time and time again.

Fwiw, the machine benches out faster in terms of throughput and latency with my bclk @ 101 and 3366. I have been testing out since i posted and thought I would mention that... Same thing applies, as pictured but with the follwoing deviations:

SoC voltage at 1.03125v

tRFC2: 192
tRFC4: 118

CAD_Bus options all left to auto

SaLSouL
Level 10
Once you go over 104.6 on the fsb you will start to slowdown your PCIe lanes to gen 2 more increases > gen 1 etc that might explain your VGA crashing
This is from Toms Hardware here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-amd-ryzen,5011-3.html