cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a bit help ASUS TUF FX504GM, Thanks!

BoomIE
Level 7
Hi all,
I have couple questions and hopefully there is a lot people here that can help me out, since i dont know much about Laptops and i havent used them in a while.
The reason i am here is that i bought this laptop for my wife and want to sort it out before she starts using it. Its a present.

1. When i first received a laptop i wanted to turn it on straight from the box, pressed the power button and nothing. I thought that maby battery is too low so i plugged it to power. I have waited maby a min and tried again and i was able to hear grinding like noise ( left side ) and it reset itself 3 times before it turn on. I have been using it for almost a week now and i could not get same issue again. Should i return it to shop ? Or advice what should i check is more than welcome!

2. If i want to do a fresh install of Windows should i install Intel Rapid Storage Technology and if i do what re the benefits. I dont know nothing about RAIDs etc.

3. Is it normal to hear electric sound that changes with CPU usage, i can hear the sound above the keyboard, between keyboard and display.

4. Also thing i have noticed is when i start/pause audio or video on YT speakers often do pop noise even when connected to external speakers, is this a thing on laptops.
5. I have also noticed quite a few stutters in games like cod ww2, minecraft, grim dawn ( games she plays the most ) with high fps.

6. Is it possible to disable CPU Turbo Boost, so far i have only tried 99% method in power management but its not working, works at 98% and lowers clock to 2.19.
Both me and my wife never did any OC or undervolting and such so i would try to avoid it if possible. Also i have found one post here on forums that is using registry to disable turbo boost, Is that method safe for laptop i dont want to risk any damage. Thanks
Link to forum post that i have mentioned: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98167-Disable-Turbo-Boost

I want to thank anyone that is willing to answer my questions and give advice, it took me a while to save up for this present and i want to make sure its working as intended. Thank you all!
3 REPLIES 3

McCoy
Level 8
BoomIE wrote:

1. When i first received a laptop i wanted to turn it on straight from the box, pressed the power button and nothing. I thought that maby battery is too low so i plugged it to power. I have waited maby a min and tried again and i was able to hear grinding like noise ( left side ) and it reset itself 3 times before it turn on. I have been using it for almost a week now and i could not get same issue again. Should i return it to shop ? Or advice what should i check is more than welcome!

If you suffer from this issue no more - that's OK.

2. If i want to do a fresh install of Windows should i install Intel Rapid Storage Technology and if i do what re the benefits. I dont know nothing about RAIDs etc.

No, you don't. There are no benefits because there is no RAID options available.

3. Is it normal to hear electric sound that changes with CPU usage, i can hear the sound above the keyboard, between keyboard and display.

It's called "coil whine" - according to ASUS: "It's not a bug, it's a feature."
4. Also thing i have noticed is when i start/pause audio or video on YT speakers often do pop noise even when connected to external speakers, is this a thing on laptops.

Check for latest audio drivers on ASUS Official product download page.
5. I have also noticed quite a few stutters in games like cod ww2, minecraft, grim dawn ( games she plays the most ) with high fps.

Nobody can tell for sure: the reason might be that throttling kicks in. Download and log GPU activity via GPU-Z and analyze PerfCap. Download Intel XTU to check CPU.

6. Is it possible to disable CPU Turbo Boost, so far i have only tried 99% method in power management but its not working, works at 98% and lowers clock to 2.19.
Both me and my wife never did any OC or undervolting and such so i would try to avoid it if possible. Also i have found one post here on forums that is using registry to disable turbo boost, Is that method safe for laptop i dont want to risk any damage. Thanks
Link to forum post that i have mentioned: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98167-Disable-Turbo-Boost

Yes, 99% safe. It will change CPU state change algorithms, make your CPU a bit hotter in idle, and lower temp under load. But it might affect performance.

I want to thank anyone that is willing to answer my questions and give advice, it took me a while to save up for this present and i want to make sure its working as intended. Thank you all!

Tanks so much for reply and help, i have tried Audio drivers that are offered on my products page, its the same, can you please tell me one more thing i have checked the nvidia drivers and latest on asus support for this model are 398.35 but i cant find them on Nvidia site, so am i stuck with this one or its fine to get latest one from nvidia notebook drivers.

kaikai311
Level 7
I just bought a Asus TUF gaming FX504GM also, the one with i7-8750H. And there's been too many issues, within 4 days, sent to RMA changed a new motherboard. Receive it back now then keep Hard Freezing when gaming. And same as you, sometimes i heard popping or cackling noise from the laptop's speaker. When playing youtube videos, songs or gaming sound effects etc. I guess it's normal?

As for the grinding noise it's the Hard disk probably, because i'd heard that too, near the left side on the laptop. Usually when i launch programs, like chrome and vlc media player, that noise could be heard. When i clear event viewer's log using command prompt by entering:
for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"
the grinding noise could be heard until it's done.