cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@Asus - Found a Potential Design Fault With PCI-E Slots

Dicehunter
Level 10
So I've been doing some testing and found a potential design fault or maybe a design oversight with PCI-E slots, More specifically the pins inside the slots.

Let me explain, I have 2 rigs n my house, Both running Asus motherboards, 1 is mine the other is my flat mates, 1 x with an MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X and the other with an Asus GTX 1080 Ti Strix, Both have slight GPU sag as is normal with beefy heatsink equipped cards.

I decided to unscrew the PCI-E slot screws, Push the cards up a tiny bit and then screw them tightly in place, In doing so I found a little design flaw of PCIE slots.

Upon booting into Windows I noticed that games were drastically slower, I checked GPU-Z and noticed on both systems the speed of the cards topped out at X1 speed instead of the standard X16 speed, So I undid my little DIY GPU sag fix of pushing them up and left them in their normal orientation, Rebooted and back to X16.

So from that I can see that a number of the pins inside the PCIE slot lose connection with the card, Forcing it down to X1 speed, Maybe Asus in their future motherboards can equip the PCI-E lanes with pins that protrude more so when people do want to fix GPU sag the pins won't lose contact with the card.

Just food for thought 😮

6 REPLIES 6

Deepcuts
Level 10
When I plug in a beefy video card like the Strix 1080ti, I always push the back end of the card upwards when I tighten the screws, to prevent sagging.
Nevertheless, I try to be as gentle as I can, not forgetting I am still working with delicate electronics.
Maybe you pushed too hard?

The same can happen with CPU coolers. If you over tighten the screws, it can affect RAM stability, bending the board too much.

Deepcuts wrote:
When I plug in a beefy video card like the Strix 1080ti, I always push the back end of the card upwards when I tighten the screws, to prevent sagging.
Nevertheless, I try to be as gentle as I can, not forgetting I am still working with delicate electronics.
Maybe you pushed too hard?

The same can happen with CPU coolers. If you over tighten the screws, it can affect RAM stability, bending the board too much.

I treat all components like new born babies, I think this is just a minor design flaw.

chevell65
Level 12
I think this is one of the reasons why they came out with the steel reinforced PCIe slots.

Over the years I've had countless issues with GPU not seating correctly therefore not being picked up sometimes on boot up.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I don't agree about the design flaw theory. I've been building PC's with ROG boards for many years going back to the Maximus V Formula.
And most of the builds have been SLI with top of the line EVGA GPU's. I can safely say that I've never had an issue with what you are describing.

By pushing up on the end of card can and will lead to the card not being fully seated.

Just my two cents.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Korth
Level 14
I would suspect poor dimensional tolerances on the chassis, the card, the motherboard - in that order. Which is to say that I would suspect dimensional tolerances on the motherboard to be the most exacting and accurate of the three possibilities.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Menthol
Level 14
I agree with you Korth as that has been my personal experience. It may be possible that over time the weight of the card could bend the bottom pins down slightly and repositioning the card upwards caused some pins to not make full contact but I have never experienced that myself.