cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS VA32AQ Monitor Issue

panzlock
Level 12
What's happening?

Ran into a bit of a problem with my newest monitor because if I had no bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. I've had the monitor for almost a year, but literally used it for about a month before the problem materialized (long story, short version is that I was buying components on sale, but had to wait a long time for VGA prices to drop before I could finish building the entire system). The monitor was checked once purchased but then went into hibernation until I could find the VGA I wanted. This is as interesting as I can make this part of the story.

Beside the point. Once I finally had the missing piece of pie, I began installing everything and updating Windows 10 (as you do to be cool like the other nerds). Last week I was updating Windows to version 1803 and these lines suddenly popped up on the screen. I was positive it was an issue with the VGA drivers which I installed prior to the update. Did a clean install of drivers again, but the problem remained. At this point I thought it was the card and I started freaking out. It was the end. I had my cyanide pill ready, and asked my family to throw me into a ditch and light me on fire after I've consumed my poisonous breakfast.

But I noticed something. Once I powered off the PC and the "No Signal" message appeared...the lines remained. Had to be the monitor. I confirmed this by swapping cables from DP to HDMI, and then again by connecting the monitor to my other PC using that PC's cables. Every time the lines were there, thus confirming the VGA is fine and the monitor has the HIV. In addition to these lines, the monitor experienced some image retention. Two separate occasions images were ghosted onto the screen, but after some time disappeared. The lines, however, remained.

Here are some pictures:

image hosting sites

May be a little hard to see the lines but this is the best camera I have at this time.

Quick question to which I fear I already know the answer. Is this curable, or is it time to RMA?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

System specs for reference:

ASUS VA32AQ IPS 1440p 31.5" monitor
Ryzen 1700
ASUS B350-F GAMING
Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
G.Skill 3200 C16
EVGA 850 P2
Samsung 850 EVO
Windows 10 Pro 1803
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.
5 REPLIES 5

stewart_1
Level 8
Hmm... It seems a little odd that the problem emerged after updating Windows. Is your Vega card overclocked at all? Worth checking for high temps I guess... the new drivers and OS update could have altered the GPU settings.

Have you tried using another display on your new build? That would pretty much confirm that the monitor is the problem. And bro... an RMA isn't bad enough to warrant cyanide mate... 🙂 There's always hope.

stewart@asus wrote:
Hmm... It seems a little odd that the problem emerged after updating Windows. Is your Vega card overclocked at all? Worth checking for high temps I guess... the new drivers and OS update could have altered the GPU settings.

Have you tried using another display on your new build? That would pretty much confirm that the monitor is the problem. And bro... an RMA isn't bad enough to warrant cyanide mate... 🙂 There's always hope.

The VGA was never overclocked. Temperatures of the VGA and the system in general were always good and nowhere near thermal limits.

That's the only thing I haven't tried, is connecting another monitor to the new build. But when I connected the problematic monitor to my old build the lines were still there. That's what convinced me the monitor was the problem. Although it's pretty clear the monitor is faulty, it doesn't hurt to cover all angles so i will try that, as well.

The monitor also suffers from periodic image retention. IR already occurred twice so there is definitely an issue.

I have already submitted an RMA request and will keep updating this thread with status.

panzlock
Level 12
Quick question before I send the unit away. Do I need to send the entire package for the RMA? For example I'm sending all the cables but does the stand need to be sent with the monitor? Just want to keep the weight down.

panzlock
Level 12
The monitor was sent on October 8, 2018. Being sent back on October 11, 2018??? That is a pretty quick turnaround.

panzlock
Level 12
Reason for the quick turnaround was that ASUS replaced the monitor without hassle. This was a good North American RMA experience. 5 business days exactly from the time the monitor was shipped until the new one was shipped back. Well done.