cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Full Factory Reset (Recovery) Procedure After Virus ?

DannDanu
Level 7
Hi there,

I have an ROG G751JY and I got king of virus (key logger) and I did a Full Factory Recovery (reset) of the Computer.
When first I bought the PC I made an recovery USB from Windows , I didn't know about the Backtracker.
The files on USB stick looks like that: see the pictures number: 1,2,3 and 4.

Now after I got the virus and I tried to do a Recovery the USB made without Backtracker is not working.
I made one more USB Recovery stick with Backtracker now, and looks like that: See picture number 5.

The Recovery USB Stick made with Backtracker is working good but I am worry about the virus. I may have transfer the virus to the recovery USB.

I would like to know what is going on in the process of Factory Recovery (reset). Is it the SDD formated before reinstalling the OS or not.
Everithing goes automatic I don't even need to set in BIOS the booting order.

Enyway I have to use an old version of Backtracker because the new version is not working for me.

Did anybody have any clue about the Recovery process? Is it formating the SDD or not?

If I will physically remove the SDD and format it with another computer, I will be able to put back thea OS the way it was from factory?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

DannDanu
3 REPLIES 3

cl-tom
Level 7
Hey DannDanu, You can try connecting your SSD to another PC and format your drive before reinstalling your OS.

Clintlgm
Level 14
DannDanu wrote:
Hi there,

I have an ROG G751JY and I got king of virus (key logger) and I did a Full Factory Recovery (reset) of the Computer.
When first I bought the PC I made an recovery USB from Windows , I didn't know about the Backtracker.
The files on USB stick looks like that: see the pictures number: 1,2,3 and 4.

Now after I got the virus and I tried to do a Recovery the USB made without Backtracker is not working.
I made one more USB Recovery stick with Backtracker now, and looks like that: See picture number 5.

The Recovery USB Stick made with Backtracker is working good but I am worry about the virus. I may have transfer the virus to the recovery USB.

I would like to know what is going on in the process of Factory Recovery (reset). Is it the SDD formated before reinstalling the OS or not.
Everithing goes automatic I don't even need to set in BIOS the booting order.

Enyway I have to use an old version of Backtracker because the new version is not working for me.

Did anybody have any clue about the Recovery process? Is it formating the SDD or not?

If I will physically remove the SDD and format it with another computer, I will be able to put back thea OS the way it was from factory?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

DannDanu

If you created a backtracker recovery usb before your SSD became corrupted You can just restore it. If not backtracker isn't going to do much for you. If you have any Images as in from Macrium Reflect Free from before the corruption you can just restore that image. Otherwise, your best bet is to download all the latest drivers from Asus Support Download
Download a Windows 10 install media MCT then just do a clean install. If you need help correctly clean Installing Windows the correct way see this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way...
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you very much for your advice.