cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop GL703GE - weird noises from battery?

Patricko
Level 7
Hey there.

I don't know if it's me or this noises sounds kinda weird... It's not HDD because sound goes more from the battery side.
The sound stops when I disconnect charger cable, so is it really from battery? Is that normal?

I'm also set battery charging to maxium lifespan mode (60%), so maybe that's the problem? But once again... Is that normal even with maxiumum lifespan mode enabled?

Here is a video of this noises:
6 REPLIES 6

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
That's normal, it's called coil whine.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
That's normal, it's called coil whine.

Seriously?! Thats considered normal? I've got headache after working for a week with this thing! I tried dell G3 3779 with exactly the same specs just before buying gl703 and it had nothing like that! In fact thats the first laptop that does that, and I've had quite a few of those.
So I'd say this is way out of normal, especially for its price tag!

SithV wrote:
Seriously?! Thats considered normal? I've got headache after working for a week with this thing! I tried dell G3 3779 with exactly the same specs just before buying gl703 and it had nothing like that! In fact thats the first laptop that does that, and I've had quite a few of those.
So I'd say this is way out of normal, especially for its price tag!

It is "normal", yes. They all come out of the factory like this. It's not like this one in particular has a malfunction. It's bad, I agree, but they're like this by (bad?) design. You can RMA as many times as you want, all of them will have the same damn noise coming out of it.
My GL502VSK also has coil whine (only when idling), but it doesn't really bothers me since it's not too loud and I'm pretty much always using a headphone.
My good old Lenovo Y510p also has a coil whine that comes from somewhere around the CPU since 2013 when I bought it. Still working perfecly.

Edit; as a side note, if I change my mouse polling rate to 125hz, the noises pretty much go away. At 1000hz the noise is very noticeable. If the CPU is under load, the noise also goes away. Changing the power mode to "power saver" also makes the noise stop.

Got the same problem here, and I've found a solution without loosing too much turbo boost.
Just go in windows mobility center and change the battery status from balanced to power saver and you get rid of the noise 😄

Patricko
Level 7
Ok, thanks for clarifying 🙂 That's a relief.

TopOkay
Level 8
Patricko wrote:
Hey there.

I don't know if it's me or this noises sounds kinda weird... It's not HDD because sound goes more from the battery side.
The sound stops when I disconnect charger cable, so is it really from battery? Is that normal?

I'm also set battery charging to maxium lifespan mode (60%), so maybe that's the problem? But once again... Is that normal even with maxiumum lifespan mode enabled?

Here is a video of this noises:

As said, it's coil whine, check this for as sort of solution:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge4#post749830