cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC lower the GPU frequency

sem189189
Level 7
Hello, how can I lower the GPU frequency to reduce the noise of the cooler . I tried to do through MSI Afterburner but it doesn't allow to do it . if you change the frequency immediately returns the settings as I can lower the GPU power to get less noise ?
5 REPLIES 5

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Open NVIDIA control panel, manage 3D settings, global settings, change power management mode to "adaptative" or "optimal power". It should downclock automatically when you're not using the GPU. If it isn't downclocking, there's probably something using your GPU on the background. If that's the case, open task manager, go to the processes tab and check which program is using the GPU.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Open NVIDIA control panel, manage 3D settings, global settings, change power management mode to "adaptative" or "optimal power". It should downclock automatically when you're not using the GPU. If it isn't downclocking, there's probably something using your GPU on the background. If that's the case, open task manager, go to the processes tab and check which program is using the GPU.

Wrong laptop.
The GL702ZC is an all AMD laptop which comes with RX 580 and Ryzen 1700.

deksman2 wrote:
Wrong laptop.
The GL702ZC is an all AMD laptop which comes with RX 580 and Ryzen 1700.

Well, I'm sure there's a power saving option just like Nvidia has. It's probably set to "maximum performance" or whatever AMD calls it.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Well, I'm sure there's a power saving option just like Nvidia has. It's probably set to "maximum performance" or whatever AMD calls it.

Keeping it on AMD Ryzen Balanced is the better option as its optimised.
Also, in AMD drivers, turning on Power Efficiency is recommended (this will keep the clocks low when watching videos, etc).

But apart from that, undervolting the GPU via MSI Afterbuner to -97mV on the core works a lot better than underclocking because you decrease the amount of power the hardware uses at stock frequencies which in turn drops heat and reduces the fan noise when everything is stressed.

Also, CPU should be undervolted using Ryzen Master.
Go into Creator tab, set all cores to 3.2GhZ and reduce the voltage to 0.98125V and hit 'apply' (this will drop CPU power consumption and waste heat generation as well as lower overall temperatures when the CPU is stressed and of course it will drop fan noise).

deksman2
Level 8
sem189189 wrote:
Hello, how can I lower the GPU frequency to reduce the noise of the cooler . I tried to do through MSI Afterburner but it doesn't allow to do it . if you change the frequency immediately returns the settings as I can lower the GPU power to get less noise ?

Wrong approach.
You should use MSI afterburner to UNDERVOLT the RX 580.
I did that and managed to get -93 mV on the core stable... if that's giving you some issues, go for a notch below that... say -88mv
You need to enable undervolting in MSI Afterburner for it to work.

Apart from that, also enable power saving in Radeon drivers when you're watching movies, etc... it keeps the GPU clocks in check without affecting performance.

You can also use Ryzen MAster to set all cores to 3.2GhZ and undervolt them to 0.98V in Creator mode. Works pretty good.