cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Build Advice

Legendfather
Level 7
Hello all,

I am getting started on my first build and just wanted to run it by you guys to make sure I'm not massively bottlenecking myself or anything.

CPU: Core i7-8700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB
MOBO: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
GFX: MSI Gaming X 1080 TI (Might change this to a 2080 when more benchmarks start coming out)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Storage: Samsung 970 EVo NVMe M.2 1TB + 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB in RAID 1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt
Monitor: Acer XB271hu bmiprz (1440p 144Hz)
Case: Corsair 780t (Full Tower)

Just wanting to make sure there are no compatibility issues and I'm not screwing myself over with parts way more high-quality than it will be able to handle.
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
Why duplicate thread?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104974-First-Build-Advice
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104975-First-Build-Advice

Don't forget TIM (thermal paste, thermal grease, whatever), you might have to purchase separately if your cooler doesn't include any or you'd like to upgrade.

The NH-D15 is huge, and like all other huge air coolers you should check and double check that it's dimensionally compatible with your CPU socket, mobo heatsink fixtures, RAM clearance, adjacent PCIe clearance, and chassis panel.

An air-cooled system is all about airflow so you may want to install more or better fans than the chassis provides. You may even want a dedicated fan controller accessory.

If you buy a 1080Ti now with the plan of upgrading to 2080 later then expect to lose $$$ money on it when reselling.

MAXIMUS motherboards generally have awesome onboard audio. But still not as good as awesome offboard audio. If highest audio quality (in gaming, music, movies, etc) is a priority then you'll eventually want a dedicated soundcard or external audio device - either way, if there's any chance you'll eventually buy better audio then it's best to plan ahead and make sure you reserve a slot/port for it before you build.

I've never fully trusted Corsair PSUs but the AXi models are very popular and apparently very good choices. Beware that many people complain about CorsairLink being plugged into internal USB headers, causing problems (exceptions, faults, conflicts) with other drivers, and sometimes just being buggy and laggy in quirky ways. You may (or may not) need to purchase some minor USB hardware to accommodate Corsairlink interface on a crowdy motherboard.

Don't forget your keyboard and mouse (and mousepad, if you use one), lol, they can be ten bucks each or they can cost $$$ each if you go for the top-tier leet branded gaming gear. And you might be one of those folks who like gamepads, flightsticks, trackballs, and other $$$ stuff.

Note that ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, G.SKILL, CORSAIR, STEELSERIES, and many others each have their own "ecosystem" of RGB stuff. You have to run a separate driver/software suite for each RGB manufacturer ... which can get ridiculous pretty quick if you buy a half-dozen brands of RGB gaming hardware. And sometimes (rarely these days) there are simple incompatibilities, the hardwares will work together but their RGBs will not. The easiest way to sidestep all of these issues is to minimize brand mixing - you can be (almost) certain that all the pretty RGB toys on an ASUS mobo and an ASUS GPU card will work properly together, etc.

Google around a bit before installing your Win10. Some firmware settings need to be changed around a little if you don't want your Win10 license to be permanently married to the platform (which will be an issue in the future if/when you ever decide to swap or upgrade the hardware).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Sorry about the duplication.

The cooler does include some ND-H1 thermal paste, so I'm good there.

I've already checked out my cooler compatibility, and I am buying more fans, I just forgot to list them here.

I may have misphrased about the GPU. I'm looking at the 1080 TI now, but might get a 2080 instead if the benchmarks are good (not building for maybe a month, may upgrade to the new i7 too)

Thanks for the help!

Korth
Level 14
If the "new" CPU is the i7-8086K then it is worth buying over the i7-8700K, in my opinion.

+8%/+6% performance vs +18% cost doesn't seem good, true.

But the price difference is only +$65 on a $2K system to choose a part which apparently overclocks much better. Minor little refinements which collectively add up to significant gains. Apparently Intel improved their TIM (which was something that held 8700K back) ... although still not using a solder-based TIM (which at least means it's not harder to de-lid).

But even if the "new" part doesn't get epic results (because you are not der8auer, lol), it still seems likely to get higher end results overall. $65 is actually closer to around +3% total system cost for those +8%/+6% gains and +?% overclock gains.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Vlada011
Level 10
I serious advice to delay build to i9-9900K.
i7-8700K and i7-8086K are weaker processor than 2700X.

You can enjoy in better single threaded performance but if you add only about 130-140$ you will get i9-9900K and you will beat him seriously in any application.
130-140$ worth to look how Intel 8 core beat AMD 8 core. I would enjoy and smile in every benchmark test I run...
His Cinebench results is arround 2166 points. 2700X is arround 1800-1850 points...
i9-9900K is faster than i7-6950X on Turbo and little overclocked. If you overclock both CPU to the end again
I believe i9-9900K 8 core is faster in single threaded and multithreaded applications than 10 Cores i7-6950X.
I checked everything... Worth of waiting, they are just arround corner.

I'm in bad economic situation and I would build instantly i9-9900K and Maximus Code or Apex but than goodbye GPU upgrade.
Because of that my plan is to jump on first next socket, not last version of CPU and I expect of him a lot, successor of 1151.

Korth
Level 14
i9-9900K on Z390 would be better ... but costs on CPU and mobo are expected to be much more than "only about $130-$140".

ASUS might provide a firmware update to run this CPU on Z370 ... or they might not. Nobody seems to really know enough about i9-9xxx to say if it's even possible, not at this time.

New CPUs and chipsets always have teething pains with WinOS and drivers and firmware bugs and stuff, and the worst of these do tend to get sorted out quickly enough. Just saying that a bleeding-edge system sometimes doesn't actually work right away on the things it's expected to do. Part of the price you pay as an early adopter, lol.

And Intel is notorious for pushing back CPU releases - or jumping them forward before they're really ready - or cancelling them entirely. I don't expect i9-9900K/Z370 will be aborted, but I also don't have a lot of faith (yet) in it launching Q4/2018. If it's available when you decide to build (and within your budget) then it's definitely an option to consider ... but if it's not then you just gotta wait until it hits market or choose something else ... something newer and better is always "just around the corner" and "a few months away" but you can play the waiting game forever, Intel's not likely to slow their pace as long as AMD keeps running right beside them.

[/Korth]

A bit of research shows that the new i9-9900k will be backwards compatible with Z370, and it looks like the 1602 BIOS update has already added it, so I'll probably go with that.