cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvme & sata ports

kahless
Level 7
Hi,

I have an 960 Pro nvme installed with 4 sata ssd and a single Gpu. Can I install a 5th ssd and the 5th sata port will still work?

On a Maximus X Code with 8700k cpu.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Deepcuts
Level 10
I don't have such a board, but a simple search for your model and I could find the manual from Asus which states:

A 5th SSD will not work on SATA if you put the M.2 SSD on M.2_2
If you put the M.2 SSD on M.2_1, you can have 5 SATA SSDs on SATA 2,3,4,5,6 with SATA 1 empty.

kahless
Level 7
Likely an nvme isnt working on sata right? Usually pcie? Mine is on m.2_1

kahless wrote:
Likely an nvme isnt working on sata right? Usually pcie? Mine is on m.2_1

That is correct.
Nevertheless, there are adapters to connect a M.2 nvme SSD to SATA or USB.
I dont't think you are looking for that.
If your M.2 nvme SSD is on M.2_1 and in BIOS you have this port set to x4/PCIe, your SATA port 1 will be disabled and you will have SATA ports 2,3,4,5,6 available for 5 SATA disks or SSDs.
If you do not set the M.2_1 port to x4/PCIe, your nvme drive will not take advantage of the full its full speed.

kahless
Level 7
I guess I am confused. I have the nvme set to pcie mode and it's in m.2_1 and I have sata ports 1-4 populated and they work fine. I am about to add a 5th ssd to sata port 5. So its port 5 I am not sure will work or not?

kahless wrote:
I guess I am confused. I have the nvme set to pcie mode and it's in m.2_1 and I have sata ports 1-4 populated and they work fine. I am about to add a 5th ssd to sata port 5. So its port 5 I am not sure will work or not?

Sorry, I had one thing on my mind and I wrote another thing.
Indeed, If M.2_1 is set to SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled. If you have it set to PCIe, SATA port 1 will NOT be disabled.
In your setup, you can fill all 6 SATA ports.

kahless
Level 7
Thanks! Confirmed I just installed the 5th Ssd and all 5 work. The owners manual is kind of confusing in this regard

kahless wrote:
Thanks! Confirmed I just installed the 5th Ssd and all 5 work. The owners manual is kind of confusing in this regard

No, it's not.......you have to understand what it is. If you use M.2_1 slot and set it to AUTO (You must have NVME m.2 Pcie x4 ) then you can use ALL SATA ports) If you have m.2 SATA device and set to AUTO on M.2_1 slot. SATA PORT 1 will not be available.

Now M.2_2 slot.....If you use this slot in Pcie x4 mode, SATA port 5/6 will not be available. If you use M.2_2 slot in pcie x2 mode you wil have ALL SATA ports available. This is limitations in Pcie_lanes....

Nothing confusing here.....