cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 Sticks of Ram Not Running at 3000MHz

Flyprdu
Level 7
I've recently added another kit of memory, filling all 8 slots on this mobo, the Rampage V Extreme. This puts the system total to 32GB, and I cannot get the computer to post with 8 sticks in running at 3000 MHz XMP. ( 8 x 4 )

4 x 4 at 3000Mhz works fine, and 8 x 4 at 2750 will work. Has anyone else had a similar experience with trying to get 8 sticks of RAM to work properly?
Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
Were these from two different kits? Seeing how they were installed at two different times I will assume they are not from one kit.
As hokey as it sounds its always a gamble using different kits even though they are the exact same part number and prettty much a guarantee they wont work above default values if at all if they are different.
Sometimes you can get better resullts going manua instead of using XMP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Although you may be able to dial both kits in, as Justin has mentioned above, mixing memory kits has fewer guarantees. Kits are binned at the density they are sold in, by combining them you are eating into the guardband put in place by the memory vendor and there's less chance of finding stability at the kits recommended voltage, frequency and timings.

Try setting a manual VCCSA and IO voltage of 1.2, selecting XMP once again, and set a DRAM voltage of 1.45v.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Flyprdu
Level 7
Hey guys, I got it! I ended up going to Tweak Mode 1 in DRAM Timings and that bumped my VCCIO up to 1.25v. I've been able to back that down to VCCSA = 1.165 and VCCIO=.1.155 and I'm running without memory errors. EDIT: Nope. definitely have errors.

So many posts reference System Agent voltage, but not many referenced VCCIO. Turns out I needed to boost both.

What a pain in the butt. But hey, it's the challenge right?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Both rails can have an impact on memory stability.

Flyprdu
Level 7
I spoke too soon! The system appears to be running normally, with great benchmarks and no BSODs, but HCI Memtest and Memtest86 are showing errors in hour long runs. This is really disappointing as I really hoped to have this settled.

Any suggestions?

Flyprdu wrote:
I spoke too soon! The system appears to be running normally, with great benchmarks and no BSODs, but HCI Memtest and Memtest86 are showing errors in hour long runs. This is really disappointing as I really hoped to have this settled.

Any suggestions?

As above.

Have you tried increasing those rails? 8 sticks are tough on HW-E IMC. You'll likely need to increase DRAM voltage.