cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Fusion---Server and Exception List setup options

tunakok
Level 7
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and and I am also re-posting this from the SmallNetBuilder forum to see if any of you would be able to help me with these setup questions. I apologize in advance if this has been brought up many times on this forum but if anyone has any good post with this solution to this, please feel free to redirect me to it.

My current FW version on my ROG GT-AC5300 is 384.32738. I also tried to upgrade to the most recent beta version mentioned in this forum but that did not help either.

For those of you who have VPN clients set up with GT, do you have any devices set under the Exceptions tab? I am trying to set up my Bluray player so it connects to Internet only (bypasses VPN) but would like to have all other devices go through the VPN tunnel. I have tried both setups below:

1. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but have left the Default connection bubble checked under Internet entry. The Internet entry shows that I am Connected. However, this setup requires me to enter each wireless device I own under the Exception List tab and connect them through VPN. There I also add my Bluray to connect through internet. This setup allows my player to connect to Internet but the entire process is very time consuming since I have to manually add each device and choose the VPN service for each of them.

2. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but this time I have this entry's bubble checked as the Default (and not the Internet one). The Internet entry still shows that I am Connected. This works great because as soon as I activate the VPN all my devices connect to the tunnel without needing to be manually added to the Exception tab below. The problem is that my Bluray does not play well with the VPN so even when I add it under the Exception tab to access the Internet (same as in Setup 1), it doesn't connect to it no matter what...The other interesting thing is that when I use this setup I do notice that when my laptop is connected to VPN, all the websites I access seem to load a lot faster. Under the Setup 1, webpages take a lot longer to load.

Again, my Bluray connection problem is resolved in the Setup 1 but I so wished I could make this work under Setup 2 so I wouldn't have to manually add each device under Exception List and designate there on whether they need to connect to VPN or not. Plus, I feel that surfing the Internet is lot faster with Setup 2.

Any suggestion on how to makes this work under Setup 2? Or is the Setup 1 the only option to allow the Bluray player to access the Internet?

Thank you!
aka Marin in SNBForums
1 REPLY 1

tunakok
Level 7
Thoughts anyone?*:)
aka Marin in SNBForums