cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX Z370-E NO POST Boot LED Green

justin129
Level 7
I've got the following kit I'm trying to put together.

• ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E
  • Coffee Lake Intel Core i5-8600K
  • G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)
  • EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G3
  • SAMSUNG EVO 250GB M.2 SSD
  • COOLMASTER HYPER 212 EVO

My first RMA'd Z370-E would not POST with two sticks of DRAM (just one) and would stop at DRAM Orange LED staying on with two sticks inside. At least I had BIOS with one stick of DRAM...

Now my second Z370-E board worked directly out of the box for only two boots with just CPU, 2xDRAM, PSU, and SSD installed. Decided things were looking good so I built the remaining inside the case. I can no longer enter BIOS. At one point I was still able to install Ubuntu on the M.2 SSD and boot into it but this is no longer the case. Now the green BOOT LED stays on with a single stick of DRAM now. Two sticks and I get the Orange LED staying on. Almost sounds like the BIOS is fried/missing.

Today I've got a pair of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) arriving and hope to try that before RMA'ing my second board.

Also, I've noticed quite a lot of pressure screwing the HS in place over top the CPU. Since the second board worked WITHOUT the cooler for two boots, I'm wondering if that is the issue. I've tried resetting CMOS without battery for >24hr as well.

This is ridiculous and something I've never experienced in my life. Granted, this is my first build in almost 10 years, things have changed, but not as much as that I don't know what I'm doing.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. I'd really like to get this board working but sadly it will be my last ASUS board if it is returned.
13 REPLIES 13

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying that you tried to post without a CPU cooler installed?

There shouldn't be much resistance or "pressure" when tightening down a HS. I would check the CPU socket closely for bent or broken pins.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

NemesisChild wrote:

Are you saying that you tried to post without a CPU cooler installed?

I first tested the second board without the CPU cooler just to see if it would POST and enter BIOS. I didn't run for more than maybe a 1 minute or so. I was able to POST and enter BIOS successfully twice which included both sticks of DRAM. The only thing I did after those first tests was install the CPU cooler and fastened the board to the case, otherwise I'm not sure what the difference would have been on my end.

There's some compatibility issue or BIOS issue. I'm honestly puzzled, there isn't much I changed between various states finally failing. At one point I had Ubuntu running without any access to BIOS which is truly bizarre to me.

Also, I should mention, BIOS was updated to latest when I got both boards.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I'm surprised that it didn't shutdown after a few seconds, you were lucky (or maybe not). I wouldn't suggest doing it again.

Sounds like your problem happened after you installed the CPU cooler. You definitely need to check the socket for bent or broken pins.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

NemesisChild wrote:

Sounds like your problem happened after you installed the CPU cooler.

Maybe with the second board. Consider also that I had an extremely similar issue with the first board.

NemesisChild wrote:

You definitely need to check the socket for bent or broken pins.

I just checked and there are no broken or bent pins, and the CPU pads look fine to me.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I would remove the motherboard from the enclosure if you haven't done so already, and make sure you're not overtightening the CPU cooler. You should only have to tighten until you feel resistance.

It's possible you have overtightened the motherboard standoff screws also, so test outside of the enclosure once again. As NemesisChild has rightly said, you shouldn't power up the system without the CPU cooler. Although you should have hit TJMAX (resulting in the system shutting off) it's still possible to damage the CPU if too nonchalant.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
I would remove the motherboard from the enclosure if you haven't done so already, and make sure you're not overtightening the CPU cooler. You should only have to tighten until you feel resistance.

Understood, especially not to overtighten and to cross screw in the HS. But I haven’t pulled this second board yet so I’ll do that and report back.

Since Amazon lost my DRAM shipment I’ve reordered an entire new set of gear besides my CPU (at least the usual offenders).

• ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
  • NZXT Kraken X52

Guess we’ll find out a bit more later in the week if not next. 🙂

justin129 wrote:
Understood, especially not to overtighten and to cross screw in the HS. But I haven’t pulled this second board yet so I’ll do that and report back.

Since Amazon lost my DRAM shipment I’ve reordered an entire new set of gear besides my CPU (at least the usual offenders).

• ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
  • NZXT Kraken X52

Guess we’ll find out a bit more later in the week if not next. 🙂

Hopefully the CPU wasn't damage due to extreme thermal exposure.

Good luck!
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

mcleod52
Level 8
I'd upgrade the M2 drive to a 500 GB one since it quickly fills up, or has for me. Now I'm looking to migrate things from my 256 GB to a new 500GB one.

Stew

mcleod52 wrote:
I'd upgrade the M2 drive to a 500 GB one since it quickly fills up, or has for me. Now I'm looking to migrate things from my 256 GB to a new 500GB one.

That’s good to keep in mind. I’m hoping to only boot the OSes from the M.2 and have several other 500GB SATA SSDs to use for more storage.