cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 6 Extreme: Cannot POST (?)

JosephD
Level 8
Hello,

Hopefully I'm posting this to the correct place, but I've been having some trouble setting up my new computer. I've been debugging this for a while, but my main issue is that I can't get anything useful to show up on my monitor. I'm currently trying to get it to work using two different BIOSs that I'm switching between with the button. One of them is the default BIOS that came with the board, and the other I flashed on.

With the default bios, it gets stuck at q code A9 with nothing on the monitor. Or, if I leave one of the USBs that I used to flash BIOS 2 (the one with windows on it also) plugged in, it gets past all error codes and displays the CPU temp like everything is working.

With my flashed BIOS, I had some different experiences. At first, if I left USB in, the motherboard seemed to think that POST was successful, showed CPU temperature, and the monitor got stuck on the Linux Mint logo. Problem is, I wasn’t trying to do anything with Linux, it just wasn’t fully deleted when I reformatted my drive (I think). When I did a thorough wipe of my drive, it now gets stuck at AE/AA: detect hdd, with no error lights.

The only time the monitor showed anything other than its turn-on animation was the weird linux mint thing, but it does turn on briefly when I turn on the desktop. I have already reseated most of my components; my GPUs in particular I've double check multiple times, and I assume they are functioning at least a little because of the weird Linux Mint thing. Really no idea what the problem could be, so any help would be much appreciated. I’m kinda new to all this, so I’m sorry if this is something obvious.

My specs are as follows:

MB - ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
CPU - Intel Core i9-7000X
GPU – 2x Aorus GTX 1080 ti xtreme edition 11g
RAM - CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4 4000
SSD – Intel Optane SSD 9 960GB
HDD – WD Gold 12TB
PSU – EVGA 1200 P2

Here are some photos of my build and the error codes as shown on the OLED display:

Thank you very much in advance for any and all advice.
6 REPLIES 6

Mr__Fox
Level 12
Hey, sorry you are having a hard time with this. Hopefull, it's something simple.

Are you still able to access the BIOS with display output, or was that something you used to be able to do and can no longer do? If you never could before, how did you flash the BIOS on the second chip? Does the ASUS BIOS flashback (recovery) process work?

Just a long shot, but have you tried turning off the PSU and removing the CMOS battery to clear all content of NVRAM? Do you have other memory that you can try? If not, try booting with only one of your sticks installed if clearing NVRAM does not help.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
Hey, sorry you are having a hard time with this. Hopefull, it's something simple.

Are you still able to access the BIOS with display output, or was that something you used to be able to do and can no longer do? If you never could before, how did you flash the BIOS on the second chip? Does the ASUS BIOS flashback (recovery) process work?

Just a long shot, but have you tried turning off the PSU and removing the CMOS battery to clear all content of NVRAM? Do you have other memory that you can try? If not, try booting with only one of your sticks installed if clearing NVRAM does not help.

Thank you for the quick response! Unfortunately, I've never been able to access the BIOS on my display. I just used the BIOS button on the back of the I/O plate to flash it.

I haven't tried removing the CMOS battery because it seems to be under the I/O shield, which I've tried to avoid taking off. I have used the CMOS clear button on the back of the I/O plate, however, which I would think should clear the NVRAM. Does it not clear it?

I don't have any extra memory lying around, unfortunately, but I'll try it with only one stick in and see if that helps. I'll write an update later tonight after I get back from work.

Mr__Fox
Level 12
Another thought that occurred to me is to ask if you have tried an alternative display output. For example, if you are using Display Port, have you tried HDMI or DVI instead? Maybe it is a display output problem with the GPU and not anything with the motherboard.

If that does not work, maybe see what happens with only one GPU installed (physically remove the slave GPU).
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
Another thought that occurred to me is to ask if you have tried an alternative display output. For example, if you are using Display Port, have you tried HDMI or DVI instead? Maybe it is a display output problem with the GPU and not anything with the motherboard.

If that does not work, maybe see what happens with only one GPU installed (physically remove the slave GPU).

Thank you so much! It turns out it was just the display port on my monitor that wasn’t working. I tried with a third monitor, and it’s working now!

JosephD wrote:
Thank you so much! It turns out it was just the display port on my monitor that wasn’t working. I tried with a third monitor, and it’s working now!

That's great news. Glad it was something so simple. Yay!

Thanks for sharing this. I'm having a similar issue. I'm going to check to see if it's that the video signal isn't getting sent to the correct location next time.