Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Question GM501 plugged in, discharging

    Hi, love this new laptop of mine. I have the 1060 version, but I was wondering how come the laptop sometimes states "plugged in, discharging". I searched around the net and read that different versions of ASUS laptops before were provided chargers that aren't able to provide enough wattage to those laptop models. I was wondering if this was the same for the GM501 and if there's any way to fix this problem (e.g. get a different adapter that provides the greater wattage, change the BIOS to accommodate the different wattage being received from said stronger adapter, etc.)

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array tap002 PC Specs
    tap002 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG Strix GL703GE-IS74
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL703GE
    Processori7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 2666MHz DRAM
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1050i
    Storage #1MICRON 1100_MTFDDAV256TBN
    tap002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    137

    I don't have any experience concerning this matter. Here is a recent thread.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d-the-solution

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by tap002 View Post
    I don't have any experience concerning this matter. Here is a recent thread.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d-the-solution
    ah yes, that is exactly the thread i saw!

    Because when I game, I notice the center LED light change from white to orange meaning my laptop is charging, which means the power adapter isn't enough and therefore the battery is also discharging to keep up with the hardware. This also means when I hover on the battery icon on the taskbar, it says "plugged in, discharging".

    Based on the thread you linked, is it enough to just get a different power adapter that provides higher watts but same voltage? I saw another thread here saying you might need a BIOS configuration to actually allow the higher wattage to come through so I was wondering if that's the case for the GM501

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    99
    Posts
    2,152

    Welcome to the forums!

    Please check your battery charge level too since it's normal for the battery to stop charging when the level is 95% and above as mentioned in the FAQ below.

    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012793

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

    Please check your battery charge level too since it's normal for the battery to stop charging when the level is 95% and above as mentioned in the FAQ below.

    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012793
    If you're saying it's normal for battery to discharge by at most 10% in the short span I do gaming, then that's quite telling of bad hardware. I just needed to know if I'm being provided enough by my 180 watt adapter, not how batteries work. And if it isn't enough, is the solution as simple as getting a new adapter or is there a necessary BIOS change as I have quoted from the link of another thread in my earlier post

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    99
    Posts
    2,152

    Quote Originally Posted by djo5296 View Post
    If you're saying it's normal for battery to discharge by at most 10% in the short span I do gaming, then that's quite telling of bad hardware. I just needed to know if I'm being provided enough by my 180 watt adapter, not how batteries work. And if it isn't enough, is the solution as simple as getting a new adapter or is there a necessary BIOS change as I have quoted from the link of another thread in my earlier post
    You didn't mention how much the battery was discharging earlier, so just wanted to make sure you were not seeing the normal discharge to 95% common on all our current notebook models.

    Sounds like your model may support battery health charging though which allows discharging less than 95% if you choose, so check if this utility is installed in your system and adjust the settings if necessary.

    Below is an FAQ and video from our website if you're interested. Thanks.

    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1032726
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034263
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 09-26-2018 at 04:28 PM.

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Potential simple fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by djo5296 View Post
    Hi, love this new laptop of mine. I have the 1060 version, but I was wondering how come the laptop sometimes states "plugged in, discharging". I searched around the net and read that different versions of ASUS laptops before were provided chargers that aren't able to provide enough wattage to those laptop models. I was wondering if this was the same for the GM501 and if there's any way to fix this problem (e.g. get a different adapter that provides the greater wattage, change the BIOS to accommodate the different wattage being received from said stronger adapter, etc.)
    Hi I have an Asus Zephyrus gx501 with the gtx1080 and I also struggled with discharging battery, I discovered that capping games to under 80FPS worked for me and stopped discharging battery!!! But this defeats the object of my 144hz GSYNC Screen, so last week I went to device manager and disabled the AC power adapter driver and since then i can play games full graphics and resolution at 144 fps with no discharge.

    I hope this helps many people like it helped
    Last edited by shennk; 12-23-2019 at 10:10 PM.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Potential simple fixes

    Hi I have an Asus Zephyrus gx501 with the gtx1080 and I also struggled with discharging battery during gaming, I discovered that capping games to under 80FPS worked for me and stopped discharging battery!!! But this defeats the object of the 144hz GSYNC Screen, so I went to device manager and disabled the "AC power adapter driver" and since then i can play games full graphics and resolution at 144 fps with no discharge.

    UPDATE: this works best when
    STEP 1 Disable the ac power adapter driver,
    STEP 2. charge the laptop to 100%,
    STEP 3. using the "ASUS battery health charging tool" set it to maximum battery life mode (the 60% charge one)

    DONE as long as your laptop is plugged in it should stay pretty much fully charged from here unless its put under extreme stress for a Long time.

    I hope this helps many people like it helped me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •