cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a ROG G751 motherboard replacement or similar

van_donovan
Level 7
Hey all,

I'm kind of computer illiterate when it comes to hardware stuff. I've had my ROS G571 since 2015 and recently the motherboard died. I'm from America, but I have lived in Japan for the last four years, and this laptop's hardware is not supported here. I'd like to order a replacement motherboard online so I can take it to the shop here in Japan and have them install it. I'm not capable/confident in my abilities to repair the current motherboard (I don't even know what's wrong with it, nor do I have any tools or anything to do repairs). I have no idea even where to search for a replacement other than maybe Amazon or eBay and I'm not sure if those are trustworthy sites? (Also it needs to be a place that will ship to Japan.) I mostly want to make sure I'll buy the right replacement that will fit into the body of the laptop. Since the laptop is now also almost four years old, if there is some upgrade you'd recommend that would fit I'd consider that.

I'm not even really sure what search terms to use other than "ROS G571 motherboard" but I'm sure there's a serial number I should be using? I am not finding anything that appears to be a one-to-one replacement, and I have no idea what I'm doing when I look at the results that pop up on eBay when I search "rog g571 motherboard." Some are $50 and some are $400. I'm stressing out, ha.

I apologize for my newbness in this regard, but that's why I've come to this forum. Please help me buy the right thing.

Thank you!

-Van
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
You can try contacting ASUS directly to ask about purchasing the part you need. They rarely provide any support on this forum.

From what I saw on google, ASUS doesn't seem to have any online store where you can order replacement ROG G571 parts.

A few laptop repair businesses offer to replace the motherboard for you but don't seem to sell the replacement part itself.

Prices on ebay are always variable, it's an auction site, lol. Be careful to note the total cost of the purchase, many vendors advertise lower sell price but add the remainder into extravagant hidden shipping costs. And chances are they're basically just trying to make whatever money they can from piecing out salvage from a broken G571 laptop (which might have, say, a smashed screen or dead battery but perfect motherboard).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Are you writing about a G571 or a G751? Please provide a complete model number.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

van_donovan
Level 7
From my order form from 2015: ASUS ROG G751 Series Gaming Laptop Intel i7 2.50GHz 16GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit1件

You're right @jdfrench3 I transposed the numbers like an idiot, thank you for pointing that out.

I do not currently have the laptop in my hands as it's at the shop. I'm trying to determine if I can buy a motherboard to replace the one in the laptop now, or if I should have them transfer the files off to an external (to the tune of $120). If I can get a motherboard for that much +/- $150 I'd rather do that.

Tons of motherboards come up on Amazon/eBay when I search for ASUS motherboards. Surely one of these would work in this machine as a replacement even if it's not the same model? Right? I just need to know which...

Googled this up, does it look like the right thing?
http://www.laptopinventory.com/ModelDetail.php/Asus/ROG/G751/Motherboards%20~%20System/36188

Korth
Level 14
Replacement parts would ideally be from same model. Even from the same (G751) product family since all the subvariants probably use the same chassis and compatible mainboards. But gaming laptops tend to be built into "unique" form factors, it's very unlikely that a mainboard from a different ROG series or a different manufacturer will be compatible, even if it has identical specs it will likely have minor differences in dimensions or fastener placements which just don't fit into the mounting brackets.

Remember that it's a technologically dense machine, packed full of embedded hardwares in whatever clever ways ASUS managed to devise. Swapping the mainboard on a gaming laptop is very much like swapping the mainboard on a smartphone - the overwhelming majority of devices (even those made by the same manufacturer) are simply not going to have interchangeable parts.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

The complete model number would be on a tag on the bottom of the laptop. I'm guessing that you have a G751JT-XXX?

How about looking at the bottom of your laptop and copying down the complete model number. Please share that model number.

You will need to be looking for a motherboard for that particular model. In most cases it's best to know the part number of the motherboard (it's located on the motherboard itself).
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server