Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Been looking through my logs after getting a lot of drops and overall slugging wifi on 5ghz-2 and it looks like the GT has to keep registering the MAC for it:

Oct 20 07:29:00 kernel: Register interface [wds2.0.1] MAC: (GT's 5ghz-2 MAC)

Obviously that means it keeps unregistering it even through it's in use at the time. Seeing this several times throughout the day. I'm not seeing this for the lan/2.4ghz or 5ghz-1 MAC's. Still can't send feedback to report it. Also, about half the time I do a firmware update check through the router, it comes back to check the internet connection. Other connected devices are able to get out to the internet without any issues.

ETA on new firmware or beta at least?

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by KamiWolf View Post
    For the past several firmwares, I've had an issue where WAN and LAN will drop completely (and then reconnect itself later). All devices lose connection (wired and wireless).

On the router, the WAN LED will go red then both the WAN and LAN LEDs will turn off before everything goes back to normal. On the modem, everything looks normal - no status light changes. During this time, I am not able to access the router nor the modem via network.

This happens randomly and lasts for about 1-2 minutes on average. I could be gaming, streaming video, web browsing, or doing absolutely nothing actively and it could still happen.

Edit: To add, I've also done Factory Resets and it doesn't fix the issue.
    This is my exact issue and its driving me nuts $50 hardware should not have any issues like this let alone $400 hardware.
    Last edited by z3razerviper; 10-20-2018 at 01:59 PM.

ROG Member Array

Thumbs up I am giving up

After all these months, I have to give up.

I am using a GT-AC5300 out-of-the-box and the only thing I have added is one (!) VPN Connection with ExpressVPN.

Firmware 32799 has the same errors and behaviors (TLS errors) as I have mentioned a couple of times.

NOW I am using beta release 3.0.0.4.384_44603 again as this is the only one which works with a VPN entry (Fusion).
    I have studied computer science and I know it is just a problem with the OVPN file, which is a text-file.
    The router has to read the OVPN configuration (which contains security Information) and to store this in its memory. Here is the mistake.

I am quite sure that my 14-years-old son is able to fix this over the weekend if he would have the souce-code.

I will stop to waste my time with all this beta software,

Instead of this, I will invest some hours to give a global warning on every available platform.

This router is TRASH and people should be aware of it.

ROG Junior Member Array

I have been struggling with the “VPN Fusion”. So far I was able to set it up, with both having clients go to the “Internet” and also my “VPN Server”. Now when I look at ipleak.net I have something interesting. When I am not connected to a VPN Server, I see a lot of DNS servers that it’s contacting which is what should be happening. Now if I don’t have any clients assigned to the VPN but it’s connected, I am presented on all hosts with the DNS of my VPN. If I set a client to use the “Internet” I still see just the DNS of the VPN server. Also, when I am not using the VPN on my host list, I am getting my normal IP and not my VPN IP.
    I opened up a ticket with Asus and they are requesting for me to ship the router back to them. Is this correct? Shouldn't all VPN traffic be safely inside of the tunnel, while my “Internet” clients run all traffic outside of that tunnel?
    Last edited by RobertD17; 10-22-2018 at 10:25 PM.

ROG Member Array

After hours and hours on this the winning firmware for me is beta GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_384_32738-gc9a116a_cferom_ubi.w even better than .32799 everything seems a lot better and works, VPN fusion works with ExpressVPN. * Beta*.0.0.4.384_44603 does not work for me AiMesh is not working.
    So all in all better with .32738 but I still see a lot of 2.4 devices dropping like smart switches and Harmony Hub etc.

Heres to the next beta build!*

ROG Member Array

I've been using Asus routers for the last 10 years along with Asus gaming laptops and I've never had buyers remorse, until I bought the GT-AC5300 when it first came out. As with all routers I've owned from Asus in the past, sure there have been bugs, which were swiftly fixed as Asus is good to release regular firmware upgrades, however the GT-AC5300 seems to be the red headed stepchild of the bunch. Firmware after firmware after firmware promising to fix issues that are simply not fixed.

Its sad to see release .32799 is listed on the website as the GA release, yet its wireless connections drop randomly on 5G_1, router reboots itself or just hangs. I agree with @Livefeed that beta GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_384_32738-gc9a116a_cferom_ubi.w is the best build that I've run but it still has UI issues and QoS issues, among other things.

I'm torn what to do here. I have been loyal to Asus products for a decade, but I'm feeling finally that perhaps a Nighthawk XR500 or XR700 is in my future. I don't believe that it will be as full featured as the Asus, but perhaps it can server as a gaming router that will actually work.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Mods, anyone?

ROG Member Array

@mlinsemier
    I too have similar experience however from the 'other' company you are considering going to, thus migrating to Asus gaming router GT-AC5300. My best advice is do your homework before diving in. Just remember, the grass may not be as green on the other side of the fence you may suspect. Read the unbiased reports and may a well educated purchase.

New ROGer Array

Exclamation Connection Trouble

I just recently purchased two GT-AC5300 routers to provide full coverage for my home. They are set up in an AI mesh with the routers at opposite ends of the house, one on the first floor and one on the second. They seem to run fine for 2-3 days and then the node will lose connection to the Internet. It remains attached to all of its clients, but they cannot access the Internet. Rebooting the node corrects the issue and the clock starts running again.

I don't have anything special configured, so I'm not sure what I can check to try to determine what is happening. Any thoughts?

ROG Member Array

ExpressVPN

Quote Originally Posted by Livefeed View Post
    After hours and hours on this the winning firmware for me is beta GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_384_32738-gc9a116a_cferom_ubi.w even better than .32799 everything seems a lot better and works, VPN fusion works with ExpressVPN. * Beta*.0.0.4.384_44603 does not work for me AiMesh is not working.
    So all in all better with .32738 but I still see a lot of 2.4 devices dropping like smart switches and Harmony Hub etc.

Heres to the next beta build!*
    Hello Livefeed,

because of your post, I gave beta release GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_384_32738-gc9a116a_cferom_ubi.w another chance.

I installed this beta release, made a factory reset and added an ExpressVPN entry (Fusion) which works with * Beta*.0.0.4.384_44603.

After several reboots and switching on and off ... doesn't work.
    TLS errors when this so-called router tries to establish a connection with ExpressVPN,

This award-winning beta release has simply problems to read and store information from OVPN files.

ASUS know this for months ...

Cheers

Tom

P.S.: I went back to the other beta release

ROG Member Array

Hi Tom,

That is so odd as * beta GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_384_32738 works great for me with*ExpressVPN entry and Fusion, as I mentioned I could not go to * Beta*.0.0.4.384_44603 as I am using AiMesh and that version did not find my other routers.*

I am experiencing the packet drops mentioned above, I get about two days out of it and then a restart is needed - sometimes a reset and reinstall *my settings clears it up for a few more days..... just crazy.

@MasterC@ASUS Any news on a new beta firmware?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast