cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus x hero issues

TheTiesThatBind
Level 7
Hello ROG forum,

I recently upgrade from AORUS Gaming 7 to Maximus X Hero and I'm facing some issues regarding the BIOS as this is my first time using a ROG Enthusiasts board and some features are unknown to me. All I care about is to run my CPU to Intel's stock turbo boost mode. The maximum frequency I've seen so far is 4.4 at idle and 4.3 during stress test.

Well to begin with, how I setup my BIOS ver. 1602 (shipped with mobo).
XMP -> ON
Enhanced Performance -> NO
ASUS CME -> DISABLED
SVID -> Best Case Scenario and Auto instead of enabled
CPU CORE RATIO -> AUTO (By XMP)
Maximus Tweak -> Mode 1 (By XMP)

I try to run a stress test with AIDA64, Prime95 and OCCT and after a few seconds the CPU frequency goes from 4.3 all core, to 3.7 and it can even underclock to 3.5-3.6!

I tried to tweak the BIOS by changing more values as shown below:
Long Duration Package Power Limit = set 4095
Short Duration Package Power Limit = set 4095
CPU Core /Cache Current Limit = set 255.50

But, then after almost 11 minute under OCCT stress test, the thermal maximum was reached the stress test canceled itself but at least it ran at 4.3GHz.

I then tried to do a Load Optimized Settings, run a stress test with EVERYTHING on default (including XMP) and the stress results can been below:

So what's going on? Is there anything wrong with my CPU? So far I haven't seen that 4.7GHz not even on a single core. (All if I use Sync all core on CPU ratio). And during the stress test the CPU underclocks? I also tried to swap Maximus Tweak from Mode 1 to AUTO and still, i get downgrades after a few secondsI can't recall any issues during stress test with my AORUS Gamin 7.

Note: During gaming temps are between 45-54 average.

Hopefully someone can help me out!

Kind regards and thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

TheTiesThatBind
Level 7
BUMP. Also, I did a Load Optimized Settings, ran a stress test, everything ran good and steady on defaults, with XMP off etc.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
OCCT small Data set? That is harsh. I personally do not last a minute.

So you want stock boost?

Sure you can get stock boost on full auto. With a tad more power just in case somebody cheaps out on the power supply and such.

Or you can get stock with some manual settings that reduce draw and in some cases bring more stability or prolonged stock boost states.

For prolonged stock boost states you can try:
package power time window 127
CPU Current capability 140% - power related, not clockspeed
Same for DRAM 130%

reduce draw:
takes time to test some settings and has been written down in some very good articles here and on affiliated sites how to archieve

stability:
kindly use HWinfo64 . It reads out a bunch of restriction sensors.
See if you trip some.
Helps to dial down "ze" issue.

Again: Don't use OCCT small data set unless your rig runs a life support machine.

Rgds Carlyle

ps as a last resort : load line calibration 1-4 for you to play with. 4-6 for most overclocks