cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero X M2 questioins

dbgager
Level 7
I have a Maximus Hero X motherboard. I am putting a 970 EVo NVME 250 GB drive into it. I have decided to use the top slot as it has the PCIe faster speeds. I am having trouble deciding about cooling it though. I have purchased a finned heat sink that clips on to it. However the decorative heatsink provided would defintelly look better and I have an RGB fully exposed Motherboard with glass sides on my Corsair 570x case. Will the finned heatsink provide better cooling than the one included on the motherboard. Or would it be possible to put one on top of the other and use both.
5 REPLIES 5

XYchromosone
Level 10
you could use both heatsinks as you say, however you will need heatsink compound between the two heatsinks to transfer the heat between them efficiently. If the finned heatsink is made well, then it should in practice give better heat dissipation than the stock heatsink that comes with the motherboard due to the latter not having any fins at all. I would personally go the latter route, and use the heatsink compound that is stuck to the bottom of the onboard heatsink if you do not have any heatsink compound for the finned heatsink.

Thank you for the reply I will try to use both of them then. The finned heatsink came with 2 pieces of thermal tape as it also has a metal platform that goes on the bottom of the M2 and that and the heat sink clip together completelly enclosing the M2 module. So there is thermal tape for both sides of the module. Actually this seems like it would even further help cooling.

I also have a pair of 970 evo's I am also going to put in a maximus X hero wifi

I see the 970 evo has a plastic label on the top with the serial number etc.

In general I think Plastic is not a great heat conductor.
Is is common practice to remove the plastic label *prior to installing a heat sink?

dbgager wrote:
Thank you for the reply I will try to use both of them then. The finned heatsink came with 2 pieces of thermal tape as it also has a metal platform that goes on the bottom of the M2 and that and the heat sink clip together completelly enclosing the M2 module. So there is thermal tape for both sides of the module. Actually this seems like it would even further help cooling.

In that case only use the finned heatsink, because it is better than the one that comes with the motherboard, because it can cool down the chips on both sides of the SSD. It would be impracticable to and add another heat sink onto the fins... it would actually reduce the efficiency of the finned heatsink.

BTW the sticker that was stuck on the 970 Pro NVMe SSD was made of paper, so I removed it and kept it with the box that the SSD came in, just in case I need to stick it back on for RMA purpose. It is not made of a thin sheet of copper. Removing it would help to transfer heat from the chips to the heatsink.

Menthol
Level 14
If the sticker is the same as on 960 they are a thin copper which can be left on in case of need to RMA