cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chipset/PCH fan: tuf "thermal armor" = thermal TIME_BOMB? (old x79 board)

URIZEN
Level 7
so there's this old mainboard I got for a bargain (never been used) and I wanna know :

I]WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PCH FAN FAILS?

my mainboard's PCH has this "protection" :

basically it's a small heatsink with a fan & all covered by plastic

now they call it "thermal armor"

but logic says it's more like a thermal trap because:

1) it all depends on the fan, and the fan will fail (small fans are designed to fail)

2) the plastic cover will act as an INSULANT since air's no longer blown up when the fan fails

3) NO HEATPIPE (unlike the Rampage boards) so cannot evacuate the heat out of the PCH heatsink, when the fan fails: the heat remains trapped under the plastic cover

in other words when the fan fails this protection becomes the opposite of a protection

so this smells of planned obsolescence right? they designed this to fail & damage the board by frying the PCH

so should I remove this whole thing (the plastic along with the heatsink & fan) and just put a bigger passive chipset heatsink instead?

like this one:

at least it's "open" (not smothered by plastic) and doesn't depend on a fan
1 REPLY 1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The fans used are a lot more durable in recent years, so it's likely it will outlast its usable life. Even then, the PCH does very little. When the fan does fail, although not ideal, I wouldn't be too concerned with temperatures.

EDIT: I notice you've already had multiple responses in another thread. Take the advice given and try not to overthink things
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090