cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair iCue may cause freezes fyi

FlyingBear
Level 7
In case this helps someone else with a mysterious freeze. On my Zenith Extreme, 1950X, 32GB, UEFI/BIOS 1402, Windows 10 1803 system, the mouse occasionally freezes and the entire system locks up. All is well on a reset.

I finally tracked this down -- I think -- to the current version of Corsair iCue 3.7.99. It's hard to be sure, because this happens infrequently, but often enough to be a pain. Because it's a complete lockup, there's no diagnostic information to help debug it.
3 REPLIES 3

techbird
Level 8
FlyingBear wrote:
In case this helps someone else with a mysterious freeze. On my Zenith Extreme, 1950X, 32GB, UEFI/BIOS 1402, Windows 10 1803 system, the mouse occasionally freezes and the entire system locks up. All is well on a reset.

I finally tracked this down -- I think -- to the current version of Corsair iCue 3.7.99. It's hard to be sure, because this happens infrequently, but often enough to be a pain. Because it's a complete lockup, there's no diagnostic information to help debug it.

I recently (4 Weeks Ago) installed the iCue software as I am starting to replace my NZXT AER fans and have not had any issues. I am currently running both iCue and CAM at the same time both using newest version. How often does this happen and what is your full system configuration? I had an issue about 8 months ago that as caused my a crappy Microsoft update that messed up the USB Drivers resulting in frozen mouse and keyboard but only within windows, it ran fine while in bios or linux.

This is a long known issue with the CPUID SDK that Corsair has used in its Link and iCUE products, and has some relation to the Asus implementation of VT/d

techbird wrote:
I recently (4 Weeks Ago) installed the iCue software as I am starting to replace my NZXT AER fans and have not had any issues. I am currently running both iCue and CAM at the same time both using newest version. How often does this happen and what is your full system configuration? I had an issue about 8 months ago that as caused my a crappy Microsoft update that messed up the USB Drivers resulting in frozen mouse and keyboard but only within windows, it ran fine while in bios or linux.

The problem is intermittent: sometimes the machine freezes up shortly after boot, sometimes an hour or two later. It's rare, and has disappeared for days at a time. It just did it today with the prior version of iCue, so that may not be the cause. I've disabled iCue - I only use it for my Corsair keyboard and mouse - and will see if the problem persists. If it does, then HWINFO, or one of its settings, will be the next thing to turn off.

Config is RZE, UEFI 1402, 1950X at stock, 32GB of QVL 3600MHz memory at 3100MHz, 2x1TB 970 Pro in RAID 0 on DIMM.2, 2TB 970 Evo under PCH cover, 2x4TB 960 Evo in RAID0, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, Aquantia 10Gbe, EKWB watercooled. Windows 10 1803 Pro x64. This was a pricey build, and I'm REALLY wishing that I'd gone with Intel, despite the $1000 uplift.

If iCue and HWINFO end up innocent, then I'll run the memory at 2133MHz, but that really hurts the disk performance, so it's a last resort.