cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Prime Z370-A and its ethernet often giving the "Unidentified network" problem

jimhoyle
Level 7
I installed Asus Prime Z370-A about a week ago. During this time I've experienced this maybe 10 times: after reboot or resume from sleep the network systray icon has the exclamation mark and it says "Unidentified network". (It doesn't resolve ever by itself, or at least not in minutes.) Then I go to change adapter options / Disable Ethernet. And back to Enable. Then it usually starts working. Sometimes I have to do the Disable+Enable twice. The problem only occurs after reboot or resume from sleep. My ethernet driver is the one at https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_Download/ (Intel LAN driver v12.17.10.7).

What's going on? My previous system (almost the same environment, only motherboard changed) never had this problem.
2 REPLIES 2

jimhoyle
Level 7
I've now tried many things, for example disabling IPv6. Didn't help. When I restart, maybe every 10th time it goes to the Unidentified network state (where disable/enable would fix it).

I think I had the exact same problem with my previous Asus motherboard. But that motherboard had two separate ethernet connectors integrated. So I just switched to the other one and it worked. But this has only one and it'd be so stupid to buy an ethernet card because of this. How do I troubleshoot this? I think it's a bug related to the ethernet driver/device starting up. Perhaps it randomly somehow loads in wrong order somehow or something like that.

The integrated ethernet (Intel I219-V) has ~36 options in Device Manager under tab Advanced. That's too many to try as I have to reboot/sleep/resume like 20 times when trying each option. What should I do?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Does the problem still occur with a static IP and DNS address?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090