cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus x hero and i7-8086k hitting power limit at stock clocks WITH XMP enabled

fst89lx
Level 7
I just built my first PC. Core components are Asus maximus x Hero, i7-8086k, noctua nh-d15, gskill trident z 3200 ram.

When I run the PC completely stock, (load optimized defaults in bios) and use prime95 to stress test, the machine turbos up to 4.3 all core and runs fine. But when I enable XMP in the bios, HWinfo shows core power limit exceeded within 15 seconds of starting prime95 and the processor downclocks.
I have tried:
XMP on and clicking NO to the next question if I would like to enhance my processor
XMP on and clicking YES, I would like to enhance my processor
XMP on and clicking YES, I would like to enhance my processor, but then disabling MCE.

Everything results in "core power limit exceeded" and cpu downclock.

All I want to do is have my ram @ 3200mhz. I want completely stock clocks for my cpu. Any help is much appreciated
8 REPLIES 8

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
XMP profiles amp a lot more than just ram voltage
Best to set voltages/ timings manually

Actually it probably says would you like to activate All Core Enhancement
Default configuration uses by core a heck of a lot different
It switched you from using 1-2 core at that multiplier to all cores to that multiplier

Which if that's the case you might have a voltage issue on the processor or mother board if it's over volting so much to trigger fail save features.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
XMP profiles amp a lot more than just ram voltage
Best to set voltages/ timings manually

Actually it probably says would you like to activate All Core Enhancement
Default configuration uses by core a heck of a lot different
It switched you from using 1-2 core at that multiplier to all cores to that multiplier

Which if that's the case you might have a voltage issue on the processor or mother board if it's over volting so much to trigger fail save features.

It asks about that when you switch from auto to XMP in the bios, but like I said, I tried XMP mode and clicked NO which says it will apply intel stock settings and TDP. I tried XMP mode and clicked yes which if I remember enables MCE which oc all cores to 5.0ghz, and I clicked yes but then manually set MCE to disabled.

When I had xmp on, and mce disabled, HWinfo showed like 1.2x vcore, temps under 70, and cpu package power of like 117 watts, all cores would turbo to 4.3 ghz for about 15 seconds and then throttle to 3.xghz

I can try entering timings manually.... I have never done it and am nervous that I'm gonna hurt something lol.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
It's actually pretty easy
Look at cpuid and memory spd section
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Yours will likely be different but those are the number you would enter in the memory timing section in the bios.
Once that's done just go to tweak settings and enter the voltage and dram frequency which you say is 3200 so that's what you'd select from the drop down menu list.

I would use for 3200 1.37 or 1.38 for dram voltages might see 2 entries maybe only one for a dual channel board mine is quad channel is why you see an extra timing then you might show.
1.380v will bring your voltage max to a little above 1.4v perfectly safe
1.370v will probably get you a hair less still probably enough to post and do things.

And that's about all there is too for starters.

Do look up how to reset/ clear cmos first lol but stock timings usually are as straight forward as it gets just like all oc'ing cross fingers and save and exit 😄

Never hurts to make a system image before oc'ing.

Monitor voltages and temperatures with hwinfo free
https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Something funky is going on here. I can't change my ram timings. I have tried auto,xmp,and manual modes. I enter the dram timing page and it tells me what timings are running right then but I can't change them at all. Any ideas?

**edit** please see post 7

Was poking around in bios, and I actually can't even change my vcore values.

I put it into manual mode, go down to where you'd set vcore, can't change the value, tried adaptive mode, can't change any values, etc. I'm so lost here, what the heck is going on?

**edit** please see post 7

Leaving my previous two posts up so everyone can laugh at me.

I could in fact enter values, I expected that when I clicked on a value such as dram cas latency for instance, that I would get a flashing cursor or something allowing me to know that I can type in a number there, nope, you just highlight the line you want to make changes to and type in the numbers.

So, got that figured out lol.

Current settings are as follows
Ai tweaker auto
dram freq 3200
dram cas latency 16
dram ras to cas delay 18
dram ras act time 38
dram voltage 1.35
maximus tweak 1

The above values are what XMP changes when I enable it, so I just used those values and put them in manually.

I did however notice that the default VCCIO voltage was set at 1.32. From what I've read, that seems high. According to https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/ the VCCIO for my memory speed should be between 1.10-1.25 so I set that to 1.15

Seems to work so far, I have ran two quick p95 stress tests (like 10 min each) and no throttling like it was w/ XMP enabled.

TheTiesThatBind
Level 7
fst89lx wrote:
I just built my first PC. Core components are Asus maximus x Hero, i7-8086k, noctua nh-d15, gskill trident z 3200 ram.

When I run the PC completely stock, (load optimized defaults in bios) and use prime95 to stress test, the machine turbos up to 4.3 all core and runs fine. But when I enable XMP in the bios, HWinfo shows core power limit exceeded within 15 seconds of starting prime95 and the processor downclocks.
I have tried:
XMP on and clicking NO to the next question if I would like to enhance my processor
XMP on and clicking YES, I would like to enhance my processor
XMP on and clicking YES, I would like to enhance my processor, but then disabling MCE.

Everything results in "core power limit exceeded" and cpu downclock.

All I want to do is have my ram @ 3200mhz. I want completely stock clocks for my cpu. Any help is much appreciated

I have the exact same issue with 8700K & Maximus X Hero. Exactly what you described, but in my case, I simply OCed (also amateur) my CPU to 4.7 @ 1.26V (1.264 according to CPUZ) and everything worked smoothly. I did a prime95 test with 1344 FTT (so AVX wouldn't kick in) and max temps were about 70, averaging 60 for an hour, same for another re-run of 4 hours. And Hydrocooler didn't even work at 100% of my fan speed curve.

But as far as I'm concerned I'm don't really need to run @ 4.7GHz for now since I'm covered by the Intel stock settings/turbo boost. My VCCIO is at 1.1 currently (manually). Auto is about 1.328.

If I want to run on stock do I have to setup manually the RAM values as described in my RAM spec sheet and then disable MCE and set VCCIO at 1.1 as well manually? Shall I use SVID Support -> Best case scenario for better results regarding voltages?

Also is there any problem if I use AUTO Maximus Tweak instead of Profile 1?

TheTiesThatBind wrote:
I have the exact same issue with 8700K & Maximus X Hero. Exactly what you described, but in my case, I simply OCed (also amateur) my CPU to 4.7 @ 1.26V (1.264 according to CPUZ) and everything worked smoothly. I did a prime95 test with 1344 FTT (so AVX wouldn't kick in) and max temps were about 70, averaging 60 for an hour, same for another re-run of 4 hours. And Hydrocooler didn't even work at 100% of my fan speed curve.

But as far as I'm concerned I'm don't really need to run @ 4.7GHz for now since I'm covered by the Intel stock settings/turbo boost. My VCCIO is at 1.1 currently (manually). Auto is about 1.328.

If I want to run on stock do I have to setup manually the RAM values as described in my RAM spec sheet and then disable MCE and set VCCIO at 1.1 as well manually? Shall I use SVID Support -> Best case scenario for better results regarding voltages?

Also is there any problem if I use AUTO Maximus Tweak instead of Profile 1?

I got it all figured out and totally forgot to check in on the forum lol, sorry.
I can't actually answer your question. All I know is that I only touched what I mentioned in the post #7 above. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to only NEED to set AI Tweaker to XMP instead of auto, but I guess its not for sure.

Also what I wound up doing is setting AI Tweaker to XMP and then looking at the values it changed for my ram, and then I turned AI Tweaker to auto and changed the ram values myself.