cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VMK - TPM not available after BIOS-downgrade / upgrade -solved

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Hi everyone,

So I updated to BIOS Version 305 the other day - worked perfectly fine.
Today, I downgraded to BIOS Version 302 to check-out performance-changes etc., upgraded 'back' to BIOS Version 305 after like 30 minutes - again, no errors etc.

Once booted-up, I did notice a change regarding BitLocker / TPM-availability: The OS couldn't access the TPM-chip anymore, BitLocker is unable to resume.

I did check the BIOS-settings - TPM is active.
Cleared/ re-installed the factory-keys / re-tried a BIOS-down- / upgrade - without success...

The TPM was listed in the device-manager for like 5 minutes - as a hidden device - only to disappear again.

Drained the battery completely, hoping this 'power-cycle' might re-enable the TPM - again, to no avail.

Would anybody have an idea if / how this issue could be fixed?

Thank you in advance + best regards
11 REPLIES 11

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
I was able to resolve the issue! (Where's the face-palm-icon?)

Re-set to factory-defaults, re-booted - TPM available again...

Thanks to everyone for reading this post + best regards

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Did you noticed any performance difference between those two versions you tested?

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Yes, it seems like it's able to maintain high clock speeds over longer period of times without dropping too much once thermal-throttling kicks in.
Let met know if you're interested in any real-life-tests.
Best regards,
ATLANTICA_NFS

ATLANTICA_NFS wrote:
Yes, it seems like it's able to maintain high clock speeds over longer period of times without dropping too much once thermal-throttling kicks in.
Let met know if you're interested in any real-life-tests.
Best regards,
ATLANTICA_NFS

That's good to know. I was just curious about the performance difference between bios versions, since they also released a new one for the gl502vsk. The description in the dowload section is VERY vague, and the support can't provide any info about it whatsoever. My guess is, the update has something to do with that meltdown/spectre thing.

Can you run cinebench and report the results? If you have a 7700hq that is.
I appreciate it.

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Here are the results:

OpenGL: 93.73 fps
CPU: 730 cb

P.S: Yes, my GL502VMK is equipped with the 7700HQ.

Best regards,
ATLANTICA_NFS

ATLANTICA_NFS wrote:
Here are the results:

OpenGL: 93.73 fps
CPU: 730 cb

P.S: Yes, my GL502VMK is equipped with the 7700HQ.

Best regards,
ATLANTICA_NFS

Thanks!
That's pretty much the same result im getting (740cb). I wonder what exactly did they changed. I'm going back and forth with support for almost a month now, trying to find out exactly what it is, but apparently all they are able to tell me is "improved system stability", even tho my laptop is rock solid since the day I first booted it up. Makes no sense.
I still think all it does is patch the meltdown thing, and since I'm not really interested in those patches, I'm skipping this one.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Well, curiosity got me and I pulled the trigger on the BIOS update. On my last attempt to get something out of ASUS support, they told me this new bios does NOT patch the meltdown/spactre vulnerabilites, so I decided to push the button.
No performance difference as far as I can tell. Same scores in 3dmark, heaven bench and Cinebench, but I noticed the CPU now runs a little bit cooler, like 5c less then it used to and the temps seems to not jump up and down too much like before. So now the GPU also runs a bit cooler (both are connected to the same heat pipe) in games. I still don't know what exactly they have changed, since the clocks, voltages and everything else seems to be the same. I'll investigate more.

Also, meltdown/spectre is indeed not patched. Checked it using InSpectre. I don't really see that as an issue.

No problems whatsoever, rock solid stability and slightly better temps. I'm giving this one a thumbs up.

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Thought I'd post this screenshot. Playing 'Project Cars' /w the Oculus CV1.

thebiggboss180
Level 9
the GL502VMK has TPM ?
my gl502vmk doesnt

maybe the same problem ?