cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD 8150 Build

wjason777
Level 7
I would like to build a new gaming/ hd movie/ all around system. Been wanting to do this for almost a month now but couldn't get the help and the advice I needed to get started on it. First off I would like to say that I am a newbie when it comes to water cooling and over clocking. I never done of before but always wanted to learn. I now have a i7 965 that I build almost 2 to 3 years ago. If possible I would like to use my psu and case. But sell the other parts.
Here's what I have in mind so far
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

AMD 8150 CPU
GeForce 560
2x 600gb WD Raptors
Windows 7pro 64bit
1 tb external Hdd
Thermaltake CLW0211 Bigwater 760 Plus Dual Bay Drives Water Cooling

For the ram I have not made my mind up of what to get it. It so many choices to choose from any ideas?
Far as the hdd goes I would love to try out a ssd but don't know what size to get and what to use it for. Is the raptors that fastest drives hdd other than the ssd? What will be the best 1tb external hdd?
13 REPLIES 13

houndazs
Level 9
I love my SSD. I did alot of research before i bought it, and it was to me the best and the fastest at the time (1month ago). In order to figure out what size SSD i needed, i looked at how much space i had used for programs, games and OS i had used over the previous 4 years (thats how old my previous PC was). I found myself using about 320GB, and i never "trimmed the fat" from it if you will. Everything i installed that wasn't used was still on it, pictures, downloads, video, ect.... I bought the 240GB and now use my Internal 1TB RAID for my user profile, which cuts about 15GB off my space. I am now more space conservation aggressive. I also use RAM Disk for temp windows files and internet browser caches, basically all the "junk" files Windows creates during normal use.

As far as the raptors being the fastest HDD's out there, i think the answer is yes, unless you go industrial grade which costs alot of money.

I am a huge Corsair fan and love my memory, and have had no problems with it, and also researched the crap out of memory before my current build.

As far as water cooling, i can't comment as i have never built a "true" water cooling rig, but do have plans to in the future.

My only suggestion is to dump the external HDD, and setup and internal RAID 1 or 5 for your "data" storage. I always tell people to include my customers its not "if" a HDD will die but "when.", and the external drive is the same thing as an internal drive minus the shell. Redundancy is a beutiful thing and worth it to me so that my important files and precious pictures are not lost so easily!

Great build so far though i like!

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

No, the external is for me to save me HD movies too and take them with me or even plug into my tv and watch movies. I never set up a raid before nor do I know what it is other than what i just read on wikipedia lol. If I raid the 2 raptors will that increase performance?

For the ram I see that the motherboard support DDR3 2133 , could I tell the difference between 1600 and 2133?

yes you could RAID the raptors in a RAID 0 to increase performance...BUT one thing to keep in mind with a RAID 0 is that if 1 drive dies you lose ALL of your data on BOTH drives! This is also why i suggest a "backup/storage" RAID. Just a suggestion.

So if you intend on using the external for portable media, i have never been disappointed with Western Digital. With your setup go with one of their USB 3.0 external Hard Drives.

You might notice a slight difference in the two RAM speeds, but to be honest i lack in knowledge in that area.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

Ok good. We are making progress. Now I just have to get some feedback on water cooling and I could maybe order soon.

Also this is the build for the computer that I current have. I just can't make up my mind if I should just sell the parts and keep the case and power system or just sell the whole thing. Here is what I have now.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
2x WD caviar black wd5001aals 500gb 7200 rpm sata 3.0gb
LG black lg blu-ray/hd dvd-rom & 16x dvd±r dvd burner sata model
Evga e758-a1 3-way sli (x16/x16/x8) lga 1366 intel x58 atx intel motherboard
Evga 896-p3-1171-ar geforce gtx 275 superclocked edition 896mb 448-bit ddr3 pci express 2.0 x16
Intel core i7-965 extreme edition bloomfield 3.2ghz lga 1366 130w quad-core desktop processor bx80601965
Corsair hx series cmpsu-1000hx 1000w atx12v 2.2 / eps12v 2.91 sli
Cooler master haf 932 advanced rc-932-kkn5-gp steel atx full tower

Area_66
Level 11
HI Wjason777, happy to see you here. As I said on NewEgg forum, I would sugest you start with WC only the CPU for your first experience with WC. Do you plan to use the Thermaltake CLW0211 ? , I have one here since a wild on a shelf. It's not a good system, first the rad is in Aluminium, it will react with the CPU cooler as they are all make of Copper, at least now , even the one include with the thermaltake is in copper. They make special additive, but it's not the best. Aside the way the rad is mount on the bay, iy'S not really efficiant. Don't forget your CPU is 125 watts at stock , AMD CPU need a lot of voltage to OC, they run quite hot and need good cooling , The pump is not bad , you can remove it from the kit and use it.

Again welcome aboard , but pay attention to a guy name Chrsplm , he like to give kiss to peoples with Crosshair V motherboard ,,,,,,,WE LOVE YOU Chris , but no kiss

MarkedOne wrote:
HI Wjason777, happy to see you here. As I said on NewEgg forum, I would sugest you start with WC only the CPU for your first experience with WC. Do you plan to use the Thermaltake CLW0211 ? , I have one here since a wild on a shelf. It's not a good system, first the rad is in Aluminium, it will react with the CPU cooler as they are all make of Copper, at least now , even the one include with the thermaltake is in copper. They make special additive, but it's not the best. Aside the way the rad is mount on the bay, iy'S not really efficiant. Don't forget your CPU is 125 watts at stock , AMD CPU need a lot of voltage to OC, they run quite hot and need good cooling , The pump is not bad , you can remove it from the kit and use it.

Again welcome aboard , but pay attention to a guy name Chrsplm , he like to give kiss to peoples with Crosshair V motherboard ,,,,,,,WE LOVE YOU Chris , but no kiss

Nice to here from you agian MarkedOne, yes I was planning on using the thermaltake CLW0211 kit. What other WC kits do you recommend for this CPU?

Well Chrsplm, when I buy this Crosshair V I'll be waiting for my kiss!

MarkedOne wrote:

Did a little research on the thermaltake web site what do you think about the Thermaltake BigWater 760is CL-W0121?

Area_66
Level 11
You better stay away from Thermaltake; they are cheap and not efficient. If you want a kit you can purchase an entry level Swiftech one ( see the link at bottom ) but it's far better to build your own kit , basically you will need a Water block for the CPU, a reservoir, a radiator with fans , a pump, tubes , some fitting and coolant . But first thing you have to decide what you will cool and what case you gone use, question to know what Radiator will fit there and what size, the efficiency of the system depend on it.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c321/s818/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Cooling_Kits_-_Brands-Swi...

I think it best I stick with the old case I have now the Cooler master haf 932 advanced rc-932-kkn5-gp steel atx full tower,