cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After replacing mainboard no Windows genuine

Richard60
Level 7
I had troubles with gaming with my new notebook G51Jx. The MB is G60J. The TSD has replaced the MB and Videocard. After recovery Windows is no longer genuine, because SLIC 2.1 is missing in the bios after the replacement. The pre-activation does not work anymore. For pre-activation is needed Asus's OEM digital certificate, Asus's home premium SLP product key, and SLIC 2.1 the your bios (which should be in the bios already). The Asus TSD said to use the productkey from the sticker on de back of the notebook. I want a bios with SLIC 2.1. What to do?
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
Microsoft has re-activated windows for me over the phone when I changed motherboards.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Activation works ok with the productkey on the back of the notebook, but I want SLIC 2.1 n the bios again.

xeromist
Well, you could always flash the BIOS to a different version. There are several images available on the ASUS support site:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I assumed that the bios form ASUS contained SLIC 2.1. But they do not. I guess that it must be done another way.

Retired
Not applicable
sorry but what is SLIC and whats the difference between 2.0 and 2.1?

Mason
Level 10
hi richard. just trying to get more information, so your G50Jx came with SLIC 2.1 for Win7 but TSD changed out your MB to a different model? do you know what model MB orginally was in your G50Jx? if you can call Microsoft to activate your installation, what are the reasons you need SLIC 2.1?

The model is G51Jx, but the mainboard was G60Jx. The mainboard is replaced by a new G60Jx. SLIC 2.1 is needed to pre-activate Windows 7. The recovery (F9) does not pre-activate, because SLIC 2.1 is not present in the bios. My opinion is that Asus had to add SLIC 2.1 again.
2.0 is for pre-activate Vista. 2.1 is for pre-activate Windows 7.

Mason
Level 10
I see. So you can manually activate or activate by phone, but you want to have SLIC 2.1 so the system will automatically activate after performing F9 recovery? Can you use Everest or Aida64 to verify what version of SLIC you have in the bios right now? I'll check with our TSD after the 1st and get back to you.

Richard60
Level 7
I can manualy activate. I installed Aida64. SLIC is not shown under ACPI, so there is no SLIC version present in the bios anymore. I think the TSD had to install SLIC 2.1 in the bios. In the downloaded bios 2.08 there is no SLIC present.