cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall Window 7 64-bit OS

RapaciousX
Level 7
I have rather a newbie question, but can't seem to find a clear answer. What I would like to do is upgrade my 500gb old 7200RPM Primary Harddrive to a new SSD. It appears that if I do an image disk using the Windows built in utility will copy all of my data. Supposedly, after creating these disks I would be able to uninstall my existing drive and then hook up the new drive, boot from the Windows Installation disk and use my image disks that I created to put my OS and all files on the new SSD.

I will be going from a 500gb to a 128gb because frankly I just don't use that much space.

Everything I have seen online about this utility states that I can only do this method when going from an equal or larger size hard drive.

Is this correct, or am I going about all this the right way?

After installation of the SSD the traditional drive would be formatted clean and used as media storage.

Thanks for any/all input.

-Brian
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
The cleanest way to do this is a complete re-install onto the new drive. You could do this and then set your 500GB as a slave to allow you to retrieve your data files. The only down side would be re-installing everything that relies on registry entries to work properly.

If that won't work then you can see if the SSD manufacturer offers a migration utility. Intel does but not all do. There are other options such as the one listed in this migration guide:
http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Oh, and note that the partitions need to be aligned on a 4K boundary as mentioned in the guide above. Whatever cloning utility you use you may need to use gparted to realign them for optimal performance.

In addition I would recommend disabling Hibernation and Swap if you have enough memory to keep everything in DRAM.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

HiVizMan
Level 40
Was your OS installed in IDE or AHCI mode?

And welcome to the forum. 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Unfortunately, I do not know whether it was installed via IDE or the later. I am using the Maximus Formula with an e6750 OC'd @ 3.51 and stabel.

I have done all my overclocking by means of telling the ASUS board to automatically do everything and the machine has run stable since I built it back in January or February of 2008.

I did think of doing a complete reinstall, but I have already used my Windows key. Won't windows know if I try to reregister the new installation?

Also, I don't have installation disks for software such as Office Professional Plus 2010 because it was a download only option for 29.95 through my wife's work.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but this was the first computer I built and I would like to get some new toys for it before next January and migrating everything over to the new mobo, cpu and ram combo.

-Brian

RapaciousX wrote:
Unfortunately, I do not know whether it was installed via IDE or the later. I am using the Maximus Formula with an e6750 OC'd @ 3.51 and stabel.

I have done all my overclocking by means of telling the ASUS board to automatically do everything and the machine has run stable since I built it back in January or February of 2008.

I did think of doing a complete reinstall, but I have already used my Windows key. Won't windows know if I try to reregister the new installation?

Also, I don't have installation disks for software such as Office Professional Plus 2010 because it was a download only option for 29.95 through my wife's work.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but this was the first computer I built and I would like to get some new toys for it before next January and migrating everything over to the new mobo, cpu and ram combo.

-Brian

You will be fine using the Windows key on the same PC, no problems there. The Office key should be available from an email, or by calling the company that provided it to you, and requesting it again. they shouldn't charge you.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

You said by installing Windows 7 and using the same key won't be an issue as long as the same PC? But the hard drive is different.

Does Windows use the motherboard, cpu, ram, or something else to determine if this is a new pc?

If so, can I simply put my newly aquired SSDs with th new combo in a year with out issues?

Thanks.

the key is tied to your motherboard if its a OEM (came pre-installed on PC) but if you bought it from your favorite computer store its probably retail and can be used on i believe 3 PC's. To be honest, by the time you upgrade your internal's, windows 8 will be out anyway. you will most likely be able to pick up copy of it for about $100 USD. I get my OEM (no windows support) from Newegg.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

houndazs
Level 9
yup just install windows on the new SSD with a fresh install, and copy all your files over from the HDD. installing all your old used programs will be fast fast fast, and won't take much time at all!

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

xeromist
Windows is generally OK with one piece of hardware changing. When there is a problem you just have to call in and get it straightened out. I've done it several times and other than being annoying it isn't really a problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Windows is generally OK with one piece of hardware changing. When there is a problem you just have to call in and get it straightened out. I've done it several times and other than being annoying it isn't really a problem.

The phone activation will fix any internet registering problems 99% of the time too.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse