cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help :( ROG STRIX X299-e Gaming

Gwydion_Wolf
Level 7
Hey folks.

Up until last night, i have had absolutely 0 trouble with my rig running on an ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming motherboard.

But last night, Mid stream on twitch, my PC suddenly blue-screened for no apparent reason (nothing was overheating, no graphical errors or anything leading up to it). Windows gave me the generic "something went wrong, we are fixing the problem" blue screen, then my PC Rebooted.

Figuring it may have just been a weird glitch, i started everything back up and started streaming again. Only to be told a few minutes later by my viewers that my microphone was suddenly really low.

A quick check of SLOBS and sure enough, it was acting as if my microphone could barely hear me.

A look into Windows Sound settings, and it suddenly had the "triangle" Warning messages under both output sound And input microphone.

No changes made to either of them in their settings (sound or microphone) would make those warning things go away, or fix my mic problem. Neither would trying to let windows fix it.

Re-downloading the Realtech drives from the ASUS website, and reinstalled them this morning. Mic still does not work correctly, and now the Main speakers are not being recognized as being plugged in.

Anyone have any ideas?

The headset/mich is plugged into the front panel of my PC case (speakers on the headset have sound currently, but mic does not work correctly), and My main 5.1 speakers are plugged into the back of the motherboard (and they are currently not working at all, not even detected by windows as being plugged in.

I am planning to see if i can just roll-back m computer to a previous day if Windows recovery has a saved day..... But im still at a loss as to what happend, and worried something with the motherboard itself may have messed up :eek:
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Sounds like the instability caused some form of driver corruption. You might want to disable XMP or any overclock on the system before rolling back, too. If rolling back doesn't resolve the problem, report back 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Sounds like the instability caused some form of driver corruption. You might want to disable XMP or any overclock on the system before rolling back, too. If rolling back doesn't resolve the problem, report back 🙂

Haddnt even thought abut the overclock of the ram (i dont OC the CPU, but wanted the ram running at its listed speed 🙂 )... the only issue i had with that on initial settup was it killing the ethernet channels till i sorted out one of the memory settings.

would XMP affect onboard sound things?

Gwydion_Wolf wrote:
Haddnt even thought abut the overclock of the ram (i dont OC the CPU, but wanted the ram running at its listed speed 🙂 )... the only issue i had with that on initial settup was it killing the ethernet channels till i sorted out one of the memory settings.

would XMP affect onboard sound things?

If the memory is unstable it could have caused the stop code and subsequent driver corruption, yes. Running memory at its rated speed and timings has no guarantees (see here for more info https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP)

You're better off taking XMP off and rolling back the system. If the audio problem is resolved, you may want to consider stress testing the memory with XMP enabled. If you do find memory instability, report back and we can cover various ways of dialing this out.

Ramtest https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
If the memory is unstable it could have caused the stop code and subsequent driver corruption, yes. Running memory at its rated speed and timings has no guarantees (see here for more info https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP)

You're better off taking XMP off and rolling back the system. If the audio problem is resolved, you may want to consider stress testing the memory with XMP enabled. If you do find memory instability, report back and we can cover various ways of dialing this out.

Ramtest https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

Hmm i'll give that a shot when i get home after work today. This was my fist attempt at running a OC on memory and while it occasionally had a issue booting up (usually only after a sudden power outage in the area), its been running great until last night.

I'll let ya know how things turn out 🙂

Gwydion_Wolf wrote:
Hmm i'll give that a shot when i get home after work today. This was my fist attempt at running a OC on memory and while it occasionally had a issue booting up (usually only after a sudden power outage in the area), its been running great until last night.

I'll let ya know how things turn out 🙂

System Restore fixed it! Though had to go back 10 days... still though.. it fixed it.

That was seriously random, aggravating, frustrating, and scary. Scary only in that i had a real fear that the Motherboard had somehow keeled over :eek:

Making another system restore point and going forward and upward!

Still have no actual idea what caused it though.. was 100% random. I build this current pc earlier this year, like around February... NEVER had a blue-screen like that...

Gwydion_Wolf wrote:
System Restore fixed it! Though had to go back 10 days... still though.. it fixed it.

That was seriously random, aggravating, frustrating, and scary. Scary only in that i had a real fear that the Motherboard had somehow keeled over :eek:

Still have no actual idea what caused it though.. was 100% random. I build this current pc earlier this year, like around February... NEVER had a blue-screen like that...

Glad that sorted the issue for you. Doesn't hurt to test memory stability once in a while, though.

Gwydion_Wolf wrote:

Don't just rely on System restore ; it can be very flaky, especially if used several times. Use only as a last resort. Get yourself a good imaging backup program like Acronis, Paragon etc. It will have you back complete in minutes, from the last good image. Do a clean install too, not going forward from a system restore. Certainly with Win 10 with all its haphazard updates get a good backup solution.
Other members can probably recommend a good imaging backup program, as well, as their favorite. There are several to chose from.